Honey-Mustard Salmon

DrMike

Ballistician
Nov 8, 2006
I pulled a Coho fillet out of the freezer this past week. I needed to come up with a meal in a hurry. So, I sprinkled the salmon with some kosher salt and ground a bit of pepper on it. Then, I quickly mixed up a honey mustard marinade. The marinade consisted of about a quarter pound of butter melted in the microwave. Then, I added about four generous teaspoons of Dijon mustard and added about five generous teaspoons of honey to the mix. When this was thoroughly mixed, I coated the salmon and let it marinate for about an hour. The fillets were broiled, together with the marinade, in a foil lined pan for about five minutes before turning and finishing for another three minutes. Wow! Done to perfection. Served with some Peaches and Cream corn and a garden salad--mama thought that I had hit a home run.

Hey, I'm trying it again tonight. Only, I'll add some shrimp from cold northern waters to the garden salad and substitute yellow fin Tuna for salmon. I wanted to try this with a darker fish this evening. I think it should be good. I can verify that the marinade is excellent with salmon, for any wishing to try something new. Consequently, if it weren't snowing today, I'd be putting these on the grill. I don't mind hunting in the snow, but I don't get too excited about grilling in the snow. And though we have a roof on our patio, the thermometer is bouncing between 0 and 1 Celsius at the moment. Ergo, the tuna steaks will be broiled.

Okay, tuna is not salmon. The salmon was exceptional in the honey-mustard marinade. Tuna is less flavourful. The tuna would have been much better had I pan seared it after preparing it with lemon juice and some fresh herbs. It was good, but not nearly so tasty as the salmon.

Sounds pretty good Mike. That marinade sounds like it would be good on some chicken also. Scotty

I have some bison steaks it will go on this coming week. Should be good on those, I would think.

Man, those sound good too Mike! Man, I need some bison around here, just to make into steaks! Scotty

MIke,

That sounds great!
I really have a taste for some fresh salmon! I really like Yellow Fin at my favorite sushi restraunt too.

I hope to get out this year on Lake Michigan with my buddy on his boat for one of these...
JDKingSalmon081906.jpg

JD338

Now, that's what I'm talking 'bout. I'm hoping to make a trip to northern Vancouver Island for Chinook and Coho this year.

Mike -
I like hot/spicy mustards on many different foods, so this sounds like a great marinade to try. We do get quite a bit of fresh salmon here daily, so it would not have to be tried on fish that has been frozen. Since I am not a salmon connoisseur, is there some salmon that it would work better on than others, and why?

Let me just say that it didn't work well on the Yellowfin Tuna, because the preparation tended toward toughness. It would have been better to pan sear the Tuna. For salmon, any will work, but generally you will find that the flavour is best with Chinook (King), Coho (Silver), Sockeye and Pink. Chum is a bit dry, and even with this marinade I would think it would remain dry. I used it with Coho, but it would work very well with Chinook and Sockeye as well. A spicy mustard would be good with this, I should think.

A little of that honey mustard mix and a couple of tablespoons of Horseradish sauce work wonders in my wild game Meatloaf!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :wink: :wink: :wink:

Fotis -
I like horseradish on alot of different meat marinades as well!! Tends to really bring out alot of flavors 8) .

Man, I love horseradish! It is hard to find good horseradish like we used to make. Scotty

I gave this one a whirl this evening Dr. Mike - you have a winner. Great summer fare.

Thanks for sharing. :)

Hegland,

Did you grill it or broil it? Either works very well, but with it being summer and all (at least farther south), I'd anticipate grilling.

Broiler... it was right at 10 PM by the time I got around to supper last night and I didn't have the fortitude to drag the grill out and get charcoal going.

However, I picked up a couple of chicken breasts on the way home, which are now marinating in the same sauce, and the coals are lit. 8)

I hope summer visits you soon.

14 C and thunder storm right now. It is nice for here. Snow only lasted for a day. I believe this marinade will work.

Back