Hornady .380 dies

rusty4269

Beginner
Dec 31, 2016
OK guys here's my first post and I know it's a repeat but I can't get a good answer. Why does Hornady (or anyone for that matter) sell only roll crimp 380 dies? You need, or at least imo should use, taper crimp dies for acp rounds. This is really driving me insane. I know people are gonna say it's stupid to load anything smaller than 45 and don't worry about crimping 380 and you should crimp separate and all that but I'll say up front that that's not the question. I'm going to start loading 380acp and like Hornady dies. I'm going with rcbs in this case because Hornady sells a product that nobody needs. Or am I missing something? Please someone explain this to me before my head explodes. In all seriousness this is what I love about reloading, you never stop learning.... or at least inquiring

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

rusty4269":1vlbx280 said:
OK guys here's my first post and I know it's a repeat but I can't get a good answer. Why does Hornady (or anyone for that matter) sell only roll crimp 380 dies? You need, or at least imo should use, taper crimp dies for acp rounds. This is really driving me insane. I know people are gonna say it's stupid to load anything smaller than 45 and don't worry about crimping 380 and you should crimp separate and all that but I'll say up front that that's not the question. I'm going to start loading 380acp and like Hornady dies. I'm going with rcbs in this case because Hornady sells a product that nobody needs. Or am I missing something? Please someone explain this to me before my head explodes. In all seriousness this is what I love about reloading, you never stop learning.... or at least inquiring

I said acp rounds, I meant auto

Lee makes a Factory crimp die for 380auto.
$21 in Amazon

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

And welcome to the Nosler Forum!

We all have our "pet" cartridges to load, if 380 is of interest to you, enjoy! :) Reloading itself is a great hobby.

Regards, Guy

Thanks for the welcome. I just love reloading. I'm more into rifle cartridges but I recently found a brand new Hornady lnl progressive press at a pawn shop for a price I couldn't pass up. So I guess I'll start loading more auto pistols. When I started looking for 380 dies I noticed Hornady only sells roll crimp dies and it struck me as kinda strange.

I've gone to the 4 die deluxe from Lee for all my pistols. In revolver calibers they use a roll crimp, in automatic pistol cartridges they use the taper crimp. I use the Lee classic turret press now for my pistol loading. I've been very happy with this combo for many years now.
Hornady at one time offered your choice of roll or taper in many pistol dies. I like Hornady dies and do all my rifle bullet seating with the Hornady inline seating die. I prefer RCBS for my rifle sizing. I'm not brand loyal by any means, I just use whatever has proven to work best for my needs.

Welcome.

Taurus makes a 380acp revolver, so there is at least some legitimate demand for a roll crimp 380acp. I assume Hornady wants a separate taper crimp die #044170 used on their presses; mechanically I don't know why that would be the case.

I'll echo what Darkhorse wrote - "Hornady at one time offered your choice of roll or taper in many pistol dies.". I have seen Hornady Nitride 3 piece 380acp dies "advertised" with a taper crimp and with a roll crimp. They have the same product number though - 546518 - so I'm not sure why the "marketing" is all over the place.

Nimrod84":1v8dykov said:
Welcome.

Taurus makes a 380acp revolver, so there is at least some legitimate demand for a roll crimp 380acp. I assume Hornady wants a separate taper crimp die #044170 used on their presses; mechanically I don't know why that would be the case.

I'll echo what Darkhorse wrote - "Hornady at one time offered your choice of roll or taper in many pistol dies.". I have seen Hornady Nitride 3 piece 380acp dies "advertised" with a taper crimp and with a roll crimp. They have the same product number though - 546518 - so I'm not sure why the "marketing" is all over the place.
You just answered my question. I did not realize anyone ever made a 380 revolver. Guess I don't know as much about guns as I thought.

Yes Hornady still makes dies in roll and taper crimp but not in 380. I'm not brand loyal either but I do like Hornady and rcbs dies for the price. I can see why you crimp separate but I'd like to take the time to get the seat/crimp die set up to save a space on my press for a bullet feeder. Thanks for the replies.

I only have one set of Hornady handgun dies, for the 500 S&W revolver. They're good dies, but of course, they make a roll crimp.

Strongly suspect a phone call to Hornady would provide an answer.

Guy

Guy Miner":1q2iz3d0 said:
I only have one set of Hornady handgun dies, for the 500 S&W revolver. They're good dies, but of course, they make a roll crimp.

Strongly suspect a phone call to Hornady would provide an answer.

Guy
Yes that's my plan. Or simply buy rcbs taper crimp dies. Or both. I know I'm overthinking this. It's a curse I was born with I guess

Back