Hornady Magnum Sonic Cleaner

critterskinner

Beginner
Sep 21, 2009
I purchased the Hornady Magnum Sonic Cleaner as soon as it was available this year. The first few times I used it I fell in love with it. Does a wonderful job of cleaning brass and the wife's jewelery. But the past two times I tried to use it it just stopped. Has anyone else had this problem?

I don't have one, but have a thought or two, although likely wrong. Is it still under warrenty?
Sound like to me, the motor is over heating, and kicking out some sort of relay. Resetting itself when cooling down. Are you running of a light extension cord? Could be, it's not getting enough voltage also. I'm just guessing here of course.
If it's toast, and out of warrenty, I might suggest what I do,,,,,
I use a Citric Acid water bath for my brass, with a short tumble after dry, if I want shiney.
At a rate of 2 tsp. to a quart of boiling water, poured over the brass in a plastic bowl, stirring intially to get the air out so the inside cleans, then a stir every so often on a 15-20 min. soak, works and cost is only but a few pennies.

Check the directions about over-heating. I have the smaller early edition sonic cleaner and if I run the cycles too close together, I fails to run ... over heating I guess! After it cools-off a few minutes, it's good to go again.

I clean several 45/90 black-powder cases and it does a "fair" job of gettin' that black crud out after about 24 min. of running.

Keep us posted about the Magnum unit,

Jim

Kodiak":2spl318a said:
Check the directions about over-heating. I have the smaller early edition sonic cleaner and if I run the cycles too close together, I fails to run ... over heating I guess! After it cools-off a few minutes, it's good to go again.

I clean several 45/90 black-powder cases and it does a "fair" job of gettin' that black crud out after about 24 min. of running.

Keep us posted about the Magnum unit,

Jim

It has run longer and heated higher than what it was at when it cut off. Hornady asked the same question about overheating. The magnum will clean cases spotless using the Hornady solution and 30 to 40 minutes. Still waiting on Hornady to help me out.

Cleaner is at Hornady now. They said they will fix it or send me another one. Can't wait to get it back. I miss it already.

it is not whether or not Hornady will fix it. One was shipped out to me today. I just miss the cleaner. It does a good job of cleaning brass.

Hornady screwed up and sent me a 220volt model even though the packing slip says 110volt. I am very unhappy. Waiting to spek with them in the morning.

Maybe they think you are about to rewire your house! I'd say that someone wasn't paying much attention in responding to your situation.

Hornady finally got it right. Called them and they sent me another one. The right one this time. Used it today and it works like a charm.

Good show. I really didn't doubt that Hornady would make it right. However, it can be irritating (aggravating) when you are on the receiving end of such a foul up.

Back