Hornady OAL Gauge

critterskinner

Beginner
Sep 21, 2009
I have been trying to use the Hornady OAL gauge to check the distance to the lands for bullet seating. The problem is every time it shows that the bullet is completely out of the case. What am I doing wrong?

What rifle? Have you closed the modified case in the chamber without a bullet or the rod attached? Some WBY Mags have enough freebore that you can't reach the lands and have the bullet in the case.Rick.

Not to be smart azz, but double and triple check that you have the correct case and bullet. Other than that, I guess you don't have to worry about loading too close or into the lands. :lol:

Make sure you aren't pushing to hard. You can push the bullet into the lands about 0.30" without realizing it. Gently push forward until you feel a slight resistance. If it still happens I don't know what to tell ya.

Don't think the lands should be that far away in those two. I use one of two methods with that gauge. If the bullet slides in/out of the modified case with little or no resistance, drop the bullet into the case and insert the modified case into the chamber with the rifle pointed up. Point the rifle to the floor and let the bullet fall to the lands, with finger pressure on the case release the rod and let it drop to the bullet, tighten the retaining screw and remove the modified case and bullet. If the bullet is tight in the mouth of the modified case, finger insert the bullet into the case just where it won't fall out. Insert the modified case into the chamber until it is tight. Slide the rod into the modified case until it stops and tighten the retaining screw. Let us know what you find.Rick.

Let me know how this tool works out for you. I have been thinking about getting one so I can be more accurate with my COAL. I just use a caliper now and I get a +/- .005" reading on most of my ammo. The last box of 225 ABs I got for my 338 was .01" shorter than the last box I used. Hoping I can get rid of a lot of the variance by measuring the ogive instead of the tip.

Jake, just measuring off of the ogive has really assisted me in my loading. I just bought the caliper collets and those are indispensable! I really like the Inovatice technologies measuring gauge, but for now, the Hornady collets are great for measuring OAL and also for measuring shoulder set back during resizing. They have taken me up another level with precision. Still not exactly where I want to be, but I am much better off in my loading/sizing operations. Scotty

rick smith":ik1tq534 said:
Don't think the lands should be that far away in those two. I use one of two methods with that gauge. If the bullet slides in/out of the modified case with little or no resistance, drop the bullet into the case and insert the modified case into the chamber with the rifle pointed up. Point the rifle to the floor and let the bullet fall to the lands, with finger pressure on the case release the rod and let it drop to the bullet, tighten the retaining screw and remove the modified case and bullet. If the bullet is tight in the mouth of the modified case, finger insert the bullet into the case just where it won't fall out. Insert the modified case into the chamber until it is tight. Slide the rod into the modified case until it stops and tighten the retaining screw. Let us know what you find.Rick.

I still get the same results. This tool must take more skill than I possess. I ended up using fired brass with the end crimped to hold the bullet. This being said, I still end up seating the bullet only .164 (to the lands). What is the minimum depth you should seat a bullet? This is a 22-250.

DrMike":15ftrhys said:
It might be time to get a cerrocast of your chamber.

I second that! After all this if you are still running out of case then your chamber is too long or you need to go to a larger hence longer bullet. What bullet are you using?

52 grain Sierra Matchking HPBT. This problem occurs in two different guns. One a Model 700 and the other a Model 7. Neither one of them has more than 75 rounds through them.

critterskinner":16g2qoks said:
52 grain Sierra Matchking HPBT. This problem occurs in two different guns. One a Model 700 and the other a Model 7. Neither one of them has more than 75 rounds through them.

Huh? I use the same bullet in my 700 sps with an OAL of 3.130". Sorry I can't be of any help, but really don't know what to say. Double check to make sure you aren't pushing the bullet into the lands. This is very easy and only takes a small amount of force. I know when I was doing mine if I pushed a little to far I had the same problem as you are having.

IMO, a bullet should be seated at least it's own diameter deep.

so .224" should be seated into the case. .164" isn't really enough to align the bullet to the bore.

try this method:

1) push a bullet into the lands, hold it there with a pencil or other dowel type tool.
2) slide a cleaning rod down the bore to make contact with the tip of the bullet (jag must be installed onto rod so that it rests flush with the tip of the bullet).
3) mark rod at the muzzle.
4) remove bullet, install and close bolt.
5) slide cleaning rod down the bore so that the same jag rests against the bolt face.
6) mark rod at the muzzle.
7) measure the difference in your two marks on the rod. This is your approximate maximum OAL.

a wooden dowel works better than a cleaning rod, because it doesn't have a threaded hole in the end to screw up your measurements. also easier to mark the wood with pencil or pen.

this method has alot of room for error, but will generally get within .020"

also, you could seat a bullet WAAAYYYY far out in a sized case and see if you feel resistance when closing the bolt. the lands will typically leave marks on the bullet.
and... you can use a candle or match to "smoke" the bullet to make these marks easier to see. the lands will remove the soot easily.

one more thing: when extracting your case, on a push feed such as your remingtons, the bullet rides the side of the chamber, sometimes pulling it out a little. try to guide the case straight out of the chamber with a finger or two.... the more I think of it, this is likely what is happening to you,.

Critter, I've seen a model 700 where you could not touch the lands and the case at the same time with the 52gr Sierra before.

As Mike said, it might be time to cast the chamber, and take a thread off the barrel.

That load and gun shoot 3 shot 100 yard groups of 1/4". I am just wondering why I am having the problem with the tool.

The tool should give you the same measurement as any other way of determining seating depth. I have been using the Stoney Point/Hornady tool for years. I always make a dummy round and seat the bullet at the found seating depth. I check that round in the chamber. I normally am just touching the lands, call it kissing the lands. I spin a piece of 4/0 steel around the bullet after it is seated and before running it into the chamber. Land marks are more visible to me than using a sharpie.
Most rifles have more than one sweet spot for seating depth so you don't have to be near the lands for accuracy.Rick.

The problem is I can not get a proper reading using this tool. I am trying to find out what I need to do to get this tool to work for me. I think I am going to order the Sinclair tool. I have read that it is much better.

Back