Would this be less accurate measuring?

Sounds like a an easy method, but a question. If you are measuring from the bullet tip, not the ogive and many bullets of the same brand and lot are different lengths, won't that give you inconsistent measurements? Or am I picturing this wrong? Thanks.
Picturing right if I only used the tip to adjust the oal

But the seating die is going to index off the ogive thus using a comparator I can get an accurate measurement to the ogive

I'm just eliminating the ...IMO...the Hornady(stoney point) oal gauge and dummy cartridges by sacrificing one of my own cases and cutting slits in the neck.

You only need one and it lives in the die set box

Some would/could vary like say with plastic tips...distorted hollow points... if only using the tip to measure...moreover if the die indexed on the tip then the oal would be identical among your loadings but the ogive to rifling distance would vary.

That all said I don't worry about chamber length and ogive distance on everything.

Example...stuff I'm just blasting. Whacking a gong, testing...ridding bullets to get brass...
I just make sure everything is under max specs and shoot.

Shooting in matches, hunting I do...although with hunting you have to watch your available magazine space. Some rifles won't allow.

One more too add...

Some bullets today can bottom out on the seater die befire the plug hits the ogive. The ELD's are a great example. RCBS will make you one if need be or you can drill it out if you've got the courage

Last edited:
Scroll down to “Finding the Lands” video. He does a go job explaining his method.
I've seen this video many times, and other similar, and I have heard that most competion and serious shooters use this method. I just don't like taking apart my bolt in order to do it. So I settled for the "less" precise method of using either the Stoney/Hornady system, ot the old leaning rod method.

An issue I see would be on a hard jam that the bullet would stick on the lands giving a false measurement. If you have been getting repeatable measurement then it’s working for you.
I've had a bullet stick on a couple of occasions. As I think was mentioned elsewhere, use a once-fired case from the rifle (I use this for rifles) in question. The case mouth tension is typically low enough to allow the bullet to slide in the case. I also think that's another good reason to use a marker of some sort, so you can see where the initial point of contact is.

Another method I use it hat if I have a known good COAL, I can measure the difference between the "old" bullet load (from the known good COAL), then measure the new bullet and get an estimate on where I need to be. I would advise caution in doing this, however, as it does not take into consideration the differences in ogive profile. I tend to be very conservative when I do this, as while my face is made for radio, I do enjoy being able to eat solid food.

Side note to my previous post, I am not going to bash anyone's method on how it works for them, if it works for them then it works.
I like using the Hornady OAL tool, because you can get a good reading by holding the tool against the chamber while tapping the bullet into the lands by tapping on the plunger of the tool to push the bullet until it bottoms out in the throat area where you have a few layers of carbon on the throat / lands which may give an inaccurate reading, ( I am not sure about this, just a theory ) unless the rifle is cleaned out of carbon. I like to make solid contact on the lands.
Would some carbon on the throats / lands give a few thousands more added to your measurements? Just curious.

Last edited:
After firing a case for a particular chamber reaming the inside of the neck to relieve some tension would be a second choice. Keeping all external dimensions the same unless you want to trim to a specific length?

Similar to how my dad measured cases before the Stoney point tool came out. My dad was an industrial arts teacher who taught precision machining and drafting since 1960 and was a machinist mate in the USN prior to that. Add a little layout die to check where the lands are touching and that’s the same exact way.

I've used this method for eons...
View attachment 19442

View attachment 19444

Cut three slits down the case like above...

Enough tension on the neck still to keep bullet from sliding around.

Put bullet way out...
Put in chamber, Close bolt.
Bring back out and there's my distance for that particular bullet to the lands...

I've doubts an item like the Hornady OAL gauge with a case is any more accurate.

Has anyone done the above and then compared with a gauge like the Hornady version or similar.

I think my way is less cumbersome and every bit as accurate but maybe not. 🤷‍♂️
If it holds that bullet snug enough you’d likely be able to set up your seating die fairly close using it. Something you couldn’t do with the Hornady tool.

Back