Hornady's NEW ELD-X bullet

Their 212 gr ELD-X has a higher b.c. than the 220 gr version which is interesting, they must be designed for different 30 cal cartridges. The 212 is rated at .673 and the 220 at .650.

I liked the info but I saw where they compared bullets in Ballistics jell for expansion and penetration But theirs were shot into Elk braking shoulders and ribs for comparison. Need to compare apples to apples.

I saw the ELD-X through gel just like the others? Also, if this doesn't matter to 99.99999% of hunters (Which I agree with), then neither does the ABLR offerings. Just saying. This is Hornady' s newest entry into the "Long range/low drag" game and it looks good to me?

Within 500 yards I think it is like picking fly poop out of pepper.

I have changed my mind. I will pick up a box of the 143gn bullets for my 6.5mm Creedmoor. I'm into working new loads. Of course this is not a have to do it thing, but if this long ranger really delivers better accuracy than I'm all for it.

The 129gn SSTs at ~2975fps at the muzzle grouped 3" @ 600 yards from the bipod. If I can shrink the group by an inch, fine. If the 143s make a small group @ 400 or 500 yards then I'll consider that a good deal as well.

The big question is will I take a comfortable shot from 350+ yards? If things are looking good, the animal isn't moving, I have little to no wind, and the risk of hitting another animal is not there, then I probably will do it. I think I have a good grasp on shoot-or-don't-shoot conditions.

Rats, I'm bummed they are not offering it in 32gr .204. Kidding aside, my first thought was if it's the plastic tip melting causing issues, why not upgrade the whole lineup with these fancy new tips? They are essentially admitting there is a material "fault" in their product, but continue to sell it as is. I know I know, personal preference and demand and supply will dictate... I'll admit, I didn't read the white paper and only watched a few minutes of the video.

Price will be around $40/100 for the 143gr 6.5mm

Availability?

Wyo7200":3c2tagw4 said:
Rats, I'm bummed they are not offering it in 32gr .204. Kidding aside, my first thought was if it's the plastic tip melting causing issues, why not upgrade the whole lineup with these fancy new tips? They are essentially admitting there is a material "fault" in their product, but continue to sell it as is. I know I know, personal preference and demand and supply will dictate... I'll admit, I didn't read the white paper and only watched a few minutes of the video.

Oh, I suspect that this new tip material will end up in a lot of different bullets...

Particularly those intended for the growing "long range hunting" market.

Guy

They did for that particular compound. That doesn't mean others can't use something else since they don't own the rights to tipped bullet's just the compound they used for it. If I had to bet the others are already looking into it now.

Personally I use Nosler Hornady & Sierra ballets and all make great products. I will say good for Hornady for figuring this out. I also think back to Remington's Bronze Tip bullets a design ahead of its time.
I am looking forward to trying them. Will I use them exclusively No as I never have just used one Manfacturer as I let the Rifle tell me what to use.

Whitesheep":3l592ysj said:
So what about soft points with exposed lead? Does the lead tip melt in flight?

I have read repeatably that the lead tips do melt in flight. This was a problem that polymer tipped bullets were supposed to fix.

Midwayusa has removed the 140gr AMAX, and has in its place (Maybe) an ELD. Maybe they are replacing select caliber/ weights with the new tips?

~36 clams for a box of 100...

I hope and bet they shoot the same- I just found a good load in 140 Amax's!

b50462a4-4b5d-4e34-b9e2-3ac99c260003.jpg

Whitesheep":1mpsohz7 said:
So what about soft points with exposed lead? Does the lead tip melt in flight?

It get deformed for sure.

I wonder how the 175 gr ELD-X will stabilize in a 1 in 9.5 twist 7mm Rem Mag? I had a near new Sako barrel installed on my old Sako action a couple of months ago and was thinking this new bullet combined with a 175 gr Partition would cover anything in this country.

Back