Hornady's NEW ELD-X bullet

Looks like a good bullet. Now to see what they cost and when they will be available. I would try them in my 270 or 7mm.

Do you think the squirrel found a nut? Makes you wonder if all the poly tipped bullets have the heat problem.

looks like they are cheaper than the ABLR. 143gr 100ct $48.33 vs 142gr 100ct $56.20 for 6.5s. BC isn't as high on the 143gr ELD-X as the 142gr ABLR though(.620 vs .719)

The 142ABLR BC isn't accurate. It's down closer to the Hornady. Those are all retail prices too. The street prices for most of them will be in the 30-35.00 range most likely. If you compare the MSRP's to the Amax's and what the Amax's sell for they aren't that much higher.

Looks good. Ultimate bullet? Make the same thing without lead and a lead free fragmented core version for varmint hunters and then I'll call it ultimate.....lol

Well, that answers a question no one ever asked. Hmmm. I'm sure it will generate a few sales, however.

Well, that answers a question no one ever asked. Hmmm. I'm sure it will generate a few sales, however.

Probably why the scenar and Bergers don't have plastic tips. :grin:

That is quite the video :wink:. I know that my last loads for my 280AI with 150gr. ABLRs are as good as I can shoot or likely better than when I am hunting.
The only thing that may cause me to buy them is their availability compared to the ABLRs availability :wink:.
It is interesting how someone is always coming up with something new (y).

Blessings,
Dan

Fascinating...

I love stuff like that! Engineering. Testing. Going back, doing it again. Finally getting it right. Cool beans! (y)

Guy

Thanks FOTIS. I was going to post the link to the PDF white paper, but you beat me to it. This is a good read and lets the data do the talking.

My main take away is that under 400 yards these new bullets don't provide any additional accuracy as the impact of the "melting tip" doesn't impact accuracy at those "short" distances. It will be interesting to see how third parties evaluate these new bullets.

Definitely some cherry picking going on in that "white paper". Advertising disguised as science.

This changes how other manufacturers will look at their tipped bullets. I won't need any of the tipped bullets soon, but that's OK. I have a ton a load data for the older SSTs and Interlocks.

Even if it's true about the polymer in the tips it doesn't matter to 99.999999999% of hunters anyway. At the 400 yds & shorter, the melt doesn't matter for Jack.

That having been said I like the overall idea. I'll definitely try em.

Not designed for 400 yard shooters...

I like my Noslers just fine - but these are designed for the long-range guys. No problem. Gives the ABLR and Berger shooters another bullet to consider.

Guy

They look pretty interesting to me, I'll probably get some 143 gr ELD's to try in Maria's 6.5x55. Could see myself trying a few others as well.

Some on this thread are pleased, others not so much but it is nice to see a company pushing ahead and others matching them, we all benefit from companies like Nosler and Hornady.

Back