Hot deal on excellent powder!

2ndtimer

Handloader
Sep 26, 2004
If anyone is looking for a good buy on medium slow burning powder, check http://www.powdervalleyinc.com/ , then click on powders, then click on Accurate Arms. Check out their special on Accurate Data 86 extruded powder. Here are my results:

.270 WSM 24" barrel Model 70 Super Shadow
38°F, breezy
Nosler 130 gr Ballistic Tip
Fed 210 primer
Win Case

58.0 gr 2744 fps
59.5 gr 2830 fps
61.0 gr 2880 fps
62.5 gr 2960 fps
64.0 gr 3054 fps

Seemed to show some accuracy potential in the lower charge weights, conditions weren't optimal for shooting off the bench. Velocity seemed a little low, as 64.0 gr is maximum according to Accurate's data on powder valley's website. I may try slightly exceeding it to see what happens. No pressure signs with any loads, easy bolt lift, extraction, primers normal, etc.

6.5x55 Swedish Mauser 22" barrel Howa 1500 Lightning, same conditions
Hornady 129 gr SP
CCI-200 primer
Win case

45.5 gr 2460 fps
46.5 gr 2520 fps
47.5 gr 2619 fps

Hornady 140 gr SP

44.0 gr 2375 fps
45.0 gr 2461 fps

The 6.5x55 showed better accuracy potential as the loads were increased, as both maximum loads showed 4 shot groups well under 1 inch at 100 yards. Of course, I have no way of knowing if these are even maximum loads, I may try to increase them slightly, just to see how they respond. I also need to try them on a warm day. (Don't know if I want to wait 4 months for that, though.) Conversely, the .270WSM seemed to show more potential at the lighter load levels. It may be that the short magnum needs a little more powder and velocity to really dial in. Overall, I am very happy with the new powder and am relieved that I got satisfactory initial results. (Really didn't want $150 worth of fireworks) I would recommend the Accurate Data 86 powder to anyone who is currently using 4350 or 4831 and wants a cost effective alternative and doesn't mind buying large quantities. For two 8 lb kegs shipped to washington state, the total including shipping, insurance and hazmat fee was $153, which works out to $9.56 per pound. Get it while it is available, as some of us may decide to order some more once we do some additional testing...
Just thought someone else might be interested. Depending on how hard the Christmas bills hit, I might even be tempted to pick up some more....[[/url]

I might like to try 1/2 pound or so of it. We could get together next time I'm at Sportsmans or we could go shooting. Might be good for my 25-06 and my 220 Swift. I am busy loading up some 210g VLD's for my 300 RUM right now. Well shoot them later today or tomorrow at 300 yards for accuracy.

I've been experimenting a good bit with VihtaVoyuri 550 and 560 (with the heavier bullets) in my Remingtn Classic in 6.5x55 and have been pleasantly surprised. It's used commonly in Scandanavia for match shooting, and now I can see why. It works great with Lapua bullets. This is mainly for target shooting. For hunting loads the best performing powder I've used is Rel.19 wit the Hornady 129gr. PSP. In my rifle it reliably groups at .6" (5 at 100yds.). It works for me. Best wishes.

Cal - Montreal

cal sibley":2xwb5x8y said:
I've been experimenting a good bit with VihtaVoyuri 550 and 560 (with the heavier bullets) in my Remingtn Classic in 6.5x55 and have been pleasantly surprised. It's used commonly in Scandanavia for match shooting, and now I can see why. It works great with Lapua bullets. This is mainly for target shooting. For hunting loads the best performing powder I've used is Rel.19 wit the Hornady 129gr. PSP. In my rifle it reliably groups at .6" (5 at 100yds.). It works for me. Best wishes.

Cal - Montreal

Cal, I too, like the Vihtavuori powder (N-165 for my .270WSM), but I got 16 lbs of this Accurate Data 86 powder for what 6 lbs. of Vihtavuori would cost. $25 per pound is just too expensive for a guy on a budget. If I can get the same accuracy with Data 86 as I was getting with the Viht powder, I will be a happy man. I will also probably order a couple more kegs, too.

Back