How about a .270 varmint bullet?

2ndtimer

Handloader
Sep 26, 2004
Didn't Nosler used to offer a 100 gr Solid Base for the .270? I have wondered for years why Nosler has chosen to concede the .270 varmint market to its' competitors. Hornady, Sierra and Speer all offer at least 1 varmint class bullet for the .270, yet Nosler is conspicuously absent from the competition. I think a 85, 90 or 100 gr Ballistic Tip with thin jacket, capable of holding together at velocities up to 3800 fps would be a solid seller. I know I would buy some for my .270WSM. I have been assured that the 130 gr Ballistic Tip will blow up sufficiently, but I am hoping for a bullet that will disintegrate on impact, so I don't have to worry about ricochets. I really don't want to have to buy bullets in a green box, but I do want a frangible bullet for my short mags. I know the rockchucks appreciate it. :twisted:

Hopefully when we move into our new building we can start to focus on parts of the industry we have chosen not to participate in. The 270 varmint market is one we discuss at length. I will pass on the info.

Then I guess I have to buy some Sierra 90 gr Hollowpoints* and work up a load with them until (if) Nosler ever decides to field a competetive product. I will try some of my 130 gr Ballistic Tips on the chucks, but I would expect the 90 gr HP to outperform it on chucks at 200 yards, seeing as the 90 grainer can be pushed to 3600+ fps.

*Which kills me, as a die hard Nosler devotee :cry:

The 90 gr Sierra has a low ballistic coeficient so it will lose velocity fast and drift in the wind. The 110 gr Hornady VMax has a Ci of .36 that that's almost twice as good!

I have not tested these bullets for richocets. Be careful.

Thanks for the reply. I was at the range today and shot a couple of pumpkins at 100 meters and was surprised that the 130 gr Ballistic Tips seemed to do more damage than the 90 gr Sierra Hollow Points, I thought the 90 grainers would explode them, but not so. Even the 140 gr Ballistic Tips did about the same amount of damage as the "varmint bullets". Guess I have to try both of them out come spring along with the Speer TNT and see which one makes the biggest mess.

If your ultimate goal is the biggest mess then you have a good cartridge.

If your also interested in a flat trajectory and little wind drift along with less of a chance of ricochets I still suggest that the 110 VMax might be the optimum choice.

Long ago I shot a woodchuck at about 375 yds with a full load out of a 7mm RM. The bullet was a 140 gr Nosler Partition. The effect was very impressive. That bullet opened up fine and those big guns really hit varmints hard.

Back