How do Collet die sets work and do you recomend using them?

cloverleaf

Handloader
Sep 10, 2006
How do Collet die sets work and do you recomend using them? Reloads will be used in only 1 rifle. Can they be used w/ factory unfired brass? You guessed it my 250 Sav. CL

CL,

Collet dies are typically used for precise bullet tension in custom chambers and are more common with bench rest and precission long range shooters. They will work in factory drillings but are not necessary due to the looser chamber dimensions.

JD338

If you're referring to Lee Collet dies for your quarter bore, there is one advantage to using collet type dies. They size the brass over a mandrel, rather than undersizing it and then expanding it over the (appropriately named) 'expander ball.' This doesn't work your brass as much when sizing it over a mandrel, so your case life 'should' be longer. As there are so many other factors that go into case life, your mileage may vary. For what it's worth, bushing neck dies do the same thing, although by not undersizing it in the first place via the correct bushing, but I believe you won't find a better die cost point than the Lee Collet sets. It sure won't hurt if you're just loading for one rifle, and it might help.

Lee Collet dies are all I use anymore. No lube, no pulling on necks, and most importantly... less run-out. You can also use the standard Collet die for Ackley Improved chambers (ie... .280 Rem. for loading .280AI). ~josh

They work really well and I love them compared to normal neck dies. However after a loading or two (depending on how hot you load) you will begin to get bolt tension when closing (just like any neck die) and I hate this. That's when I bring in the redding body die after using the collet die. As mentioned above you will get excellent runnout with this combo and with the body die you can push the shoulder back as far as you like for normal "in field" hunting.
You can probably get both dies for about $45 total and I don't think there is a better value that can give you lots of loading flexibility for the price.

Never do like i did. I have only one 22-250. So i took some brass and tumbled it and neck sized it. Looked like brand new. Loaded fifty rounds and since this is shot out of my brand new ruger 77 varmit i figured i'de have no problems. Took the gun to the range yeserday and loaded i round. It felt a little tight but with a bolt i figured no problem. $ round was very tight and gave the handle a good push down and now the case is stuck. I finally remembered that my father had a 22-250 30 years ago and the case of brass i tumbled was the stuff i got from him. If you neck size make sure its out the the same gun your going to shoot it in.

Thanks for the replys- Dad has a set of RCBS dies for the 250 so I think I'll give the collet dies a try. It always shot better w/o a ful length re-size anyway. Just not quite slick enough for "hunting rounds" follow up shots. CL More opinions experiences welcome.

Based on what I've read and suggestions received on this site, I bought the setup kraky described above - a Lee Collet die and Redding body die- for the rifle I use for 300 - 700 yard shots. Haven't used the body die yet (too cold to shoot and expand cases) but the collet die is quicker and easier to use than a normal seating die. I don't have the capability to measure runout, so taking that aspect on faith; I'm looking forward to using the body die, getting into the complete cycle.

As other have already talked about, when you neck size only the case is already approx the exact deminsions of the chamber in the gun. If you shoot hot loads or reload multiple times without full length resizing then everntually you will end up with a case that is hard to extract or worse yet a stuck case. You don't want the later to happen with the buck of you life in front you that needs a second shot because of buck fever. So I would always full length resize a hunting cartridge. Also because of the weaker extration mechanism I would always full length resize break open type guns like my encore. It's a real pain in the a$$ to extract a stuck case.

I use a collet die on my 7mm-08 and it does increase the accuracy. You do take the chance of a stuck case if you are shooting hot loads. I find them easier to use because you don't have to lube the whole case just the neck.

You don't even have to lube the necks.... I've loaded thousands of rounds with my collet dies and have never used any type of case lube. ~josh

Back