How do I crimp bullets w/o a crimp ring??

RUGER77

Beginner
Dec 29, 2005
The reloading books all say that you need to crimp the bullet in any heavy caliber such as the .338. I just bought a box of 250 gr. Partitions for mine and am having trouble crimping them due to the lack of a crimp ring. I don't understand why a bullet that must be crimped wouldn't have one. can i just not crimp it or do you think it would push into the case after being in the magazine while the gun is fired?

I shoot the 416 Wby and before that the 458 Win and 378 Wby mag. Never used a crimp (rifles) except for lever guns.

ruger77,

Crimping is not necessary. I shoot a 338 RUM and have never crimped the bullets. I only crimp 44 Mag loads.
I am also of the belief that crimping can effect the accuracy of your load because cases are streached during the resizing process. These minor differences will apply varing pressures against the seated bullets.
By not crimping, you are gaining more consistancy in your loads.

Regards,

JD338

As stated above crimping is not necessary in your case. But if you ever find a need to crimp (autoloader) and your choice of bullet does not have a cannelure, you can crimp using the Lee Factory Crimp Die. It will crimp any style of bullet and case length is not a critical factor.
Here is some interesting reading on accuracy using the LFCD.

http://www.accuratereloading.com/crimping.html

steve4102,

Interesting read, thanks for posting.

Regards,

JD338

Thanks everyone for the input. Did any of you happen to fire your guns with a full magazine though? i think im going to pull the bullets i made and resize them because the attempted crimp caused the shoulder to crush. this time i dont think im going to reattempt the crimp. id like to hear what anyone else has to say on the topic .

RUGER77":hy8kf3w3 said:
Thanks everyone for the input. Did any of you happen to fire your guns with a full magazine though? i think im going to pull the bullets i made and resize them because the attempted crimp caused the shoulder to crush. this time i dont think im going to reattempt the crimp. id like to hear what anyone else has to say on the topic .

I have a 338WM and do not crimp my reloads. I have shot my gun many times with the magazine full and have not had any problems with my loads. Leave the crimping to hand guns.

Back