How do I load a bolt action?

Guy Miner

Master Loader
Apr 6, 2006
Yup - another one of those "you've got to be kidding" moments...

Saw a fellow at the range with his brand new Remington 700... He was having one heck of a time loading it.

He'd drop the magazine floorplate, cram a fistfull of cartridges into the mag box, then try to close the magazine floorplate under them. Was getting real frustrated - until I politely asked if he'd like a lesson in bolt action rifles. When I showed him how to thumb the cartridges in from the top, he was amazed...

Not a bad shooter at all - but he'd only shot AR-15 type critters, never a conventional bolt action rifle. He bought it in anticipation of doing some deer hunting this year. I think we'll be bumping into each other at the range later this year and maybe I can help him a little more. As stated though - he's actually a pretty good shot - just another one of those cases in which there's some surprising skills that may not be as generally understood as we'd think anymore.

Kind of reminds me of the fellow who tried to shoot my Ruger Number One and couldn't figure out how to work the action... Falling block? Single shot? What? :grin:

Guy

Yup! There is a progressive loss of knowledge that we take for granted. Guy, your account is as bad as the fellow who tried to load a magazine for a Lazzeroni, only he was loading backwards. When it was noted that the pointy end of the bullet goes forward, he was genuinely mystified.

DrMike":2a6ymivg said:
Yup! There is a progressive loss of knowledge that we take for granted. Guy, your account is as bad as the fellow who tried to load a magazine for a Lazzeroni, only he was loading backwards. When it was noted that the pointy end of the bullet goes forward, he was genuinely mystified.

What's really sad is these are the guys taking shots at extreme ranges as well and wounding game.

That's why I don't shoot at a public range!
Same reason I get extremely nervous everytime we have to qualify with the M4's.
I just don't trust other people with firearms.

I'm tired of being shot at!

YOu know we all had to start somewhere. Its just too bad some of these guys don't suck up their pride and ask for help on how to use a rifle or handgun for that matter. That stuff scares me.

Corey

I think a lot of the loss of knowledge is due to generational gaps - meaning you have a younger generation that may not have had a mentor or parent to teach them about firearms. In the 50's, 60's and 70's there were a lot of WWII and Korean vets around and hunting was a lot more popular. In the last twenty-five to thirty-five years most vets' experience would have been with autos and semiautos. When I was learning about firearms my father didn't hunt or shoot. He was a Korean war vet and knew gun safety but that was about it. Fortunately, my older cousin was a Vietnam vet, hunter and rifle looney(God rest his soul). He taught me a lot about guns, hunting and life in general. If he had not mentored me in those things I could have been the guy who couldn't load the bolt action or the one who couldn't unload the revolver. My kids are growing up with firearms and I've taught several of their friends how to shoot and handle firearms safely. I've been a hunter safety instructor and general firearms mentor to any who've expressed interest.
Guy, what you did for that shooter at the range was a good thing. I think we all should be like that. The more we share, teach and work with others to share our passion the stronger the "pro gun" group will be.

Scott

Teaching him was a great thing. Not alot of knowledge left to the masses about firearms. I always like to assist as much as i can. Anything to keep a new shooter interested or excited is a good thing.

I had that one figured out in 1.4 seconds.
Its when trying to load a rifle for single shot that is still baffling me years later. I just can't figure out how to push that round down the barrel from the muzzle. :lol:

338winmag

I've got one... A friend of mine hunted and entire elk season last year with a model 700 ADL (that I sold him) with one round in the rifle. He thought that since it didn't have a floorplate on the bottom, it didn't have a magazine. I obviously assumed WAY too much when I sold it to him. He missed a few bulls and reloaded...one round at a time. He finally shot a 300" bull on the last day of the season. Good guy, just doesn't know much about guns.
BP

Wow, I am at a loss for words.
And these same people drive cars and vote!!!

JD338

Jim,

They live among us. They may even rule over our lives. :shock:

I was one of those guys that knew nothing about firearms. I appreciate the people like guy that took the time to teach me. Now I'm a firearms instructor.

Corey

Unfortunately breeding is innate and can't be eliminated or controlled due to a lack of intelligence.

I jest. We've all been fortunate enough to have a good teacher or the means to figure things out for ourselves. As Scotty said, help when we can to perpetuate our sport. That and help keep rifle range accidents to a minimum.

C.Smith":3gq9rvic said:
I was one of those guys that knew nothing about firearms. I appreciate the people like guy that took the time to teach me. Now I'm a firearms instructor.

Corey

Good for you, Corey!

DrMike":2e4h0o0l said:
Jim,

My little brother has a shirt that sums it up best. "I see dumb people. They are all around us and they don't even know they're dumb!"

DrMike":3ff49iyw said:
Jim,

which is scary-----but you are correct sir

The worst I have seen is a man showed up in Africa with a brand new gun and a brand new scope for a hunt. However he had not put the two together or fired the rifle.

I also hear advise given by people behind the counter at sporting goods stores that will make the hair stand up on the back of your neck.

On two separate occasions I followed the prospective buyer after he left the counter and told him not to do what he was told to do. One fellow listened and appreciated the interest and concern. The other one was not so kind--oh well

Back