How do you shoot your 3006 ?

On the heavy thumpers I have to put my non-trigger hand on the rifle to keep it from prematurely departing the bench and landing behind me!

While the one-hand works for me on the bench for load development, I do not use it for final sight in. There's no way I shoot like that in the field so for final sight in I hold the forearm and let my hand rest on the front support as I would in the field. There is a noticeable POI change the extent of which varies with velocity and rifle weight.

The first thing I would do before shooting the 30-06 is send it to be re-bored to a 35 Whelen :lol:!
In my load developments I use the lead sled and then for just confirming I use the Bulls Bag.
I now almost always carry my Bog Pod and I have it set at my kneeling height so I try to get some practice in with that as well.

Blessings,
Dan

I have been using a Benchmaster for quite a few years when at the range to work up loads.

I shoot my 30-06 like any other rifle. Front sandbag, rear elbow locked on bench. This is just to get zero. After that I shoot sitting or chair/improvised rest. Far too much emphasis is placed today on bench rest shooting for micro groups. Get under 2 moa with your load, zero to plus 2 moa at 100 yards and limit your engagement range to the distance you can consistently hit inside 8" under stress with elevated heart rate and wind from realistic field shooting positions and you are GTG. If you are honest with yourself, you should come up with a maximum range under 300 yards unless you're really darn good. In that case, see you at Perry next year.

When I shoot my .300WSM from the bench I grip the forend to control recoil. If I shoot it one handed the muzzle rise is significant.

I only shoot from a bench to zero a scope or test loads... other than that it's all field positions.

I use a bag similar to Wildgene's, its made by Stoneypoint. Caldwell makes one too. I like them because I don't have to put my left hand under the forearm, it cradles the entire forearm. I also like it because I can throw it on the hood of a vehicle and I am almost on a bench! I have shot many groups out in the desert out to 500 yds, checking zero. I used to use a stand with that little hard leather bag up front. I noticed if I didn't hold the rifle down, my zero would be very high due to muzzle jump off that bag. A rifle will always shoot 'away" from a hard surface whether that be a branch or a rock , that's why we put our hand between the rifle and them out in the field. I can cradle my rifle in that Buddy bag ( Bull bag, Caldwell bag, et al) put rabbit ear bag under the butt and get some tiny groups. You will find what works for you and your equipment, its good to learn how to use "anything". My dad always told me that a good rifleman "knows how to find and use a rest"! :)

I have been using my bipod on front and sandbag the rear when sighting in my 30-06. I use sandbags front and rear when sighting in the old BLR .308. I have used Guy's advice and have been doing more positional shooting practice once the rifles are sighted. Then the practice is for me to duplicate the bench data.

Back