How do you shoot your 3006 ?

RAY

Handloader
Jan 31, 2015
This year I'll be using sandbags ( front and rear ) do any of you hold the fore end or do you place your hand at the rear bag while squeezing the trigger with the other ?

I see a lot of people shoot with one hand , is this method more precise ?

Thanks , Ray

I use sandbags under the receiver and a sock filed with rice under the rear of the rifle. My support hand squeezes the rear bag to help align the crosshairs.
It works for me. I've never been a fan of placing my hand on top of the rifle to help control muzzle flip. Just ride the recoil.

Vince

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

Vince":lhj4hbyc said:
I use sandbags under the receiver and a sock filed with rice under the rear of the rifle. My support hand squeezes the rear bag to help align the crosshairs.
It works for me. I've never been a fan of placing my hand on top of the rifle to help control muzzle flip. Just ride the recoil.

Vince

I'll have to give that a try ( cool ) !

Thanks !

I shoot off of sand bags front and rear. These are bags my wife makes for me, filled with silica sand so there is no dust. Fin adjustments are made by squeezing the bags. Only one hand is touching the rifle, and that is to squeeze the trigger.

DrMike":1k33x0yr said:
I shoot off of sand bags front and rear. These are bags my wife makes for me, filled with silica sand so there is no dust. Fin adjustments are made by squeezing the bags. Only one hand is touching the rifle, and that is to squeeze the trigger.
Man ! I didn't know about silica sand !

My Grandmother gave me an old sewing machine years ago , finally learned how to use it to make my bags , but I used general purpose sand !

I get the small gravel that you put in an aquarium and put the plastic bag inside a empty shot bag and sew the end shut. I to try to get a hand on the rear bag so I can squeeze it to control cross hair.

Often I shoot my .30-06 or other hunting rifles from field positions - rarely from the bench:

Okay - this one is a .308 Win, but dang, it's accurate!

Enjoy your target practice, and best of luck to you this season!

Regards, Guy

RAY":xguvqt6j said:
DrMike":xguvqt6j said:

My Grandmother gave me an old sewing machine years ago , finally learned how to use it to make my bags , but I used general purpose sand !

The bags are made out of worn-out jeans. The silica sand has the advantage of not taking up moisture. I leave a little room in the bags so I can seat the fore end into the sand, creating a slight indentation and have ample room to move the rear bag by squeezing. Consequently, after load development, Guy is spot on in encouraging shooting from field position.

truck driver":2q19xla1 said:
I get the small gravel that you put in an aquarium and put the plastic bag inside a empty shot bag and sew the end shut. I to try to get a hand on the rear bag so I can squeeze it to control cross hair.
Thanks TD !

DrMike":79i36tgl said:
RAY":79i36tgl said:
DrMike":79i36tgl said:

The bags are made out of worn-out jeans. The silica sand has the advantage of not taking up moisture. I leave a little room in the bags so I can seat the fore end into the sand, creating a slight indentation and have ample room to move the rear bag by squeezing. Consequently, after load development, Guy is spot on in encouraging shooting from field position.
I'll give some field positions a go sometime in the future !

Guy Miner":26h3519y said:
Often I shoot my .30-06 or other hunting rifles from field positions - rarely from the bench:

Okay - this one is a .308 Win, but dang, it's accurate!

Enjoy your target practice, and best of luck to you this season!

Regards, Guy
Cool pics , I'll develope some loads first before trying some field positions .
I hunt roughly 10 acres , I use an elevated deer blind .

I have to let the deer sneak up on me !!!!!

Ray

...'bull bag' lined up w/ the target, squeeze the rear bag for 'fine' windage & elev. adj. Used properly, the bull bag minimizes muzzle jump & helps reduce recoil...

wildgene":30lztedh said:
...'bull bag' lined up w/ the target, squeeze the rear bag for 'fine' windage & elev. adj. Used properly, the bull bag minimizes muzzle jump & helps reduce recoil...

Good to know about muzzle jump.
Shooting from a led sled like I used to produced a lot of muzzle jump and scope punishment .

Thank you WG !

Ray

Kitty litter is an inexpensive filler for bags, but does attract moisture unlike silica sand.. Think I may change to the silica sand... Thanks Dr. Mike. I need more practice at field positions.

Ray - I like your tactics! Since I usually hunt mule deer on either public land or huge private ranches - I need to be able to drop into a shooting position and make the shot.

Have taken a few whitetail from blinds over the years.

Any post on "how do I shoot...." usually elicits a response from me, urging hunters to get off the bench and shoot from standing, kneeling, sitting and prone... I do a lot of that, and swear by it.

All the best! Guy

Hunting ground hogs are great for field position practice, I either shoot off hand or sitting since I can't get into knelling and getting out of prone is a pain with a bad back and other problems( old age). Though I no longer use a 30-06 for ground hogs my 257 Roberts is a bolt action same weight but a slightly longer barrel.

For load verification......... eliminate all errors.

394466.jpg

I do NOT use any sand bags or added weight. . It has to have some give or you will break the scope. Any scope!!!!!!!!!!!!

I use the bench for testing loads but little else.
Never seen one of those concrete benches in the places I hunt so it does me little good to practice from one.

Tripod front, bunny ear bag for the rear. Non trigger hand is the bag squeezer. Placing the stock so that it rests near the recoil lug area on the tripod stops barrel jump. Shot off a friends lead sled and then off my shoulder produced two different POIs. Rick.

Back