How many of you measure all your loads?

longwinters

Handloader
Oct 10, 2004
I was doing some reloading tonite for the 308 with Reloader 15. I always weigh each load that I throw out of my RCBS powder thrower but notice on some of the shooting programs that often when they are reloading they do not measure each load...just dump the powder in the brass and go.

I measured probably 10 consecutive loads tonite and saw that they all ranged with in .01 of each other so there after I only weighed 1 in 5.

I understand that not all powders would throw as consistently but what is your experience? Are some powder throwers more consistent as some powders would be?

Long

I have this. so I guess I weigh none and all....in a way :lol:

772151.jpg

I weigh ALL my rifle reloads.Scoop of powder then trickle however much more I need.Its slow but I dont like to rush my loading anyway :grin: .

P1000100.jpg
[/img]

My rifle loads are all weighed one at a time. If I'm shooting "plinking" loads for my pistol then I throw them and weigh every tenth load.

I weight them.
Actually I use a Quick measure to drop a charge, and if a bit light I trickle, a touch over I let it go. Normally I`m not more then a tenth gr over or under and it shouldn`t matter, but.......

I weigh every load for my hunting and target loads striving for every bit of consistancy I can get
For the plinking loads I weigh every 10 rounds.

For the most part, I weigh every charge.
It will also depend on the powder. Sometimes the powder flows smooth as water and I will weigh every 3-5 charges.
All hunting loads and all load development loads are weighed individually.

JD338

I dump the powder in a bowl and use a spoon to get close, then trickle to the exact spot every time for all my loads.

Takes a while, but if your gonna spend the time to reload and want the best, you gotta do it right!!

I can usually weigh a charge and seat a bullet in about 45 seconds. Once you get the rhythm going its really not all that bad.

Now my dad on the other hand, he uses the lyman dispenser. I only use that when I load a couple hundred rounds for my .222, otherwise I individually weigh everything. I'm very anal about accuracy, and every little bit helps, or so I like to think!!

I weigh every piece of brass, every bullet, every powder charge. Measure every piece of brass after sizing for uniformity, and OAL of every cartridge I load. :lol:

I weigh every rifle charge, every time. However, magnum pistol loads get dumped directly into the cases. I use H110 most of the time and it dispenses VERY consistently as long as you systematically use the powder measure.

+1 with POP....

I have the first version of that.... set up is somewhat of a pain in the *&%* so it depends on how many I'm loading... if it's just a few...20 or less I'll dump using an old Redding dispenser, then trickle. Long and short, they all get measured.

I drop then scale weigh them all, I just like everything consistant as possible whether needed or not.

Dave

I weight out everything on a redding scale, becuase I don't load normally 100's at a whack, I'm doing 50 at the most and only loading 2 calibers.

I think you'll find a lot of competition shooters, who have very high accuracy demands, don't bother weighing each charge, but simply throw them from the powder measure. This works fine for ammo used in NRA highpower competition out to 600 yards.

A benchrest shooter will generally weigh everything.

FWIW, Guy

+1 guy.
I know world record benchrest shooters who don't weigh everything. They use fine ball powders and a high quality (usually rcbs) powder measure. I only worry about measuring every one if I am using a course powder that does not meter well.

I Used to weight every load that I loaded. Then just hunting and target loads unless they were using a ball type powder, then i weighed 1 in 10 and threw them all.

Now I'm +1 W/POP, the best money I've spent on my loading gear in the last ten years!!! (besides new dies for new guns :grin: )

I usually try to throw about a half-grain under the targeted load, then trickle the rest on the scale. But I'm positive I don't produce the volume of cartridges that others on here do.

Back