how much faster can you push it?

TackDriver284

Handloader
Feb 13, 2016
Following minimum and maximum loads is important when checking your powder charges in the reloading manual, most of us sticks to the minimum and maximum window, some of us, if you know what you are doing, like to push the bullet faster and keep tabs on the pressure signs such as sticky bolt lift, flat primers, split cases, etc. Reloading manuals have different charges / information and its where we make a decision " when to say Stop" and settle with a charge weight safely. As of today I found a tidy 3 shot group , .25 MOA, for my Sako lightweight 7 Mag with Shilen 26" barrel, used 140 Accubonds. Load was 66.7 grains of RL19 , lit with Fed215M and velocity is a strong 3240 fps with no pressure signs. The velocity reading was pretty high and how much more can you go? Does the sticky bolt / flat primers happen before the chamber even reaches maximum pressure? Just a thought and safety is priority one. Sometimes we tend to push it faster to see if there is a nice load for hunting which I like to do, but never have split a case or blew a primer before, ever in my 20 years of reloading.

When finding brass was as simple as walking into the local store. Pushing the 7mm rem mag to max velocity's was not a big deal. three loads on a batch of brass then toss them. But in todays limited supply world I back them off max. 75-100fps is just not worth killing brass over.

I "listen" to my rifle...

If the rifle/brass/loads tell me I'm running too hot, then I back it off. And I listen carefully.

Never found the difference between game killed with a max (or above max) load and game killed with a mid-power load...

Regards, Guy

Guy Miner":2wahxdpd said:
I "listen" to my rifle...

If the rifle/brass/loads tell me I'm running too hot, then I back it off. And I listen carefully.

Never found the difference between game killed with a max (or above max) load and game killed with a mid-power load...

Regards, Guy

Well said, Guy; well said.

I'm not as knowledgeable as I would like to be about reloading but I've learned a lot since I came here. Playing with the 35 Whelen Ackely Improved has broadened my knowledge a lot and I can tell you that with pressure comes velocity. When working on seating depth and shooting the loads over a Chronograph I noticed the deeper I seated the bullets the velocity would go up. .005" would make a 10fps-20fps difference in the velocity.
The Ackely design hides pressure very well and you only see it when it is dangerous like when you open the bolt to eject a spent round and the primer falls out of the case which was new with only 1 loading to fire form.
Play with the Dragon if you wish but remember the consequences.

I started hunting in 58 and handloading in the early 60's, when I abused my 30:06 with full power loads. As age and the number of animals increased I found no measureable increase in killing power between 2900 fps and 3100 fps.,so I quite worrying about the velocity, and focused on the accuracy. All of my primary "hunting" rifles will shoot MOA, some even 1/2 that, which is still a lot smaller than necessary. Barrels are not cheap, nor are gunsmiths, and I prefer to save those dollars for tags, and fuel, my days of hot rodding are long over. Just my .02 and the ramblings from an old man.

I've never found a need to run maximum loads. If I'm working up a new load I start just above minimum and work up until I find good accuracy. I've never found an animal that could tell the difference in velocity.

The only time I'm at max is with my Weatherby calibers. They seem to be most accurate there.

TackDriver284 said:
Does the sticky bolt / flat primers happen before the chamber even reaches maximum pressure?

No.

A pressure related sticky bolt does not appear until the load is well above SAAMI Max pressures. Some say upwards of 70+ K psi.

Primers are not a good indicator of pressures, in fact most flattened primers are caused by excess headspace and not excess pressure.

In my 50 years of reloading, I too experimented with a few hot rod loads. I found that the 458 would group well with an OUCH load or a reduced load. The Weatherbys would not shoot worth a crap until loaded to the gills, and the 25 06 was the same. I found a nice lite load for the 300 mag that would shoot sub moa all day, and a warm load that would do the same. The 375 H&H liked warm. The 338 and 340 liked hot. Norma brass is too costly to be pushing the envelope, and I value my hands and eyeballs. I have noticed over the years that the loading manuals have backed off on the powder charges listed. Some of my rifles are 5 grains over book, and on their 5th or 6th firing of the brass without any issues. One 300 mag is 4 grains below book. At 3 below max, it shows that it is too hot. I do anneal all of my brass as needed, and that extends the life of it indefinitely. When I was doing firearms repair, I seen a few 7mm Remington mags come in blown apart, and 2 30 30 marlins with the barrel blown off. They tried to hot rod and it didn't work out well. Keep it safe, and reloading is a rewarding and pleasurable past time. Ain't nuttin like collecting your dinner with a roll your own.

In my experience it isn't unusual to run into a 7 Rem Mag load that generates in the 3200 fps vicinity with a 140 gr bullet,and double base propellants like RL19 or RL22.

I don't have it in front of me but am pretty sure even the Nosler Manual will confirm those velocities in the 7 RM.

Anyway it would not cause me concern if I took that same case, loaded it 4-5 more times and checked primer pocket tightness,and did not see other signs of excessive pressures.

Having said that, and after having loaded for quite a few 7 Rem Mags over the years, I'd stop when I saw 3200 fps with a 140 gr bullet. If it makes you happy, no problem backing off 70-80 fps.

I certainly would not be looking to increase the load.

To be honest with you, the best load was at 66.7 grains, I made a few more loads and backed off one grain and seated bullets deeper and I'll see what it will do at the range.

Yes, I know its a grain and a quarter over max.

Not pulling your string but remember also the deeper you seat the bullet the higher the pressure will go and velocity will increase, at least it did for me in my 35 Whelen AI.

Well, my thoughts are it depends on the cartridge in question. Not a heck of a lot one can do to boost velocity say in the .243 or some of the ultramags. However, rounds like the .257 Bob and 7x57 can be boosted quite a bit as SAAMI has dictated pressures be kept low due to their being used in weaker rifles like 93 and 95 Mausers. One can only work up loads for these rounds by guess and by gosh using the seat of our pants and personal experience. It's a sad state of affairs that we can get pressure tested loads for three levels for 45-70, Ruger level loads for the Colt .45 round but true modern data for the Bob and 7x57, hell will freeze over long before we see any of that data. :x I do value my body parts just like anyone else here but it would be nice to know I'm not gonna blow my damn fool head off.
I'm looking very closely at 7-08 data for my 7x57 as a possible source as I know the 7x57 case has more powder capacity.
Right now, taking care of the better half has priority so haven't done any load work in the last two months.
Paul B

truck driver":81emq6ly said:
Not pulling your string but remember also the deeper you seat the bullet the higher the pressure will go and velocity will increase, at least it did for me in my 35 Whelen AI.

According to Quickload data, if I seat the bullet deeper, it reduces pressure and velocity. Best if I try it out on the range before I can confirm it. But thanks for the heads up.

I've been told by handloaders a lot more experienced than I that pressure exceeds SAAMI specs before you will see signs on your brass or sticky bolt lift. A strain gauge on your rifle is the most accurate way to determine pressure in your rifle.

And as pointed out above, no animal will ever be able to tell the difference between being shot by any bullet at say 2700 fps vs 2800-2850 fps. Or in your case 3240 foster and 3300 fps.

And with 1/4" groups, I would say that you have achieved stellar accuracy and velocity. I would have to ask what is your expectation in a hunting load? And what is your intended game animal?

TackDriver284":epb3grjn said:
According to Quickload data, if I seat the bullet deeper, it reduces pressure and velocity.

True. Deep seating increases jump to the lands, which reduces pressure.

Back