how much faster can you push it?

I have always looked for the most accurate load, even if it meant a tad slower than I wanted. I have noticed, however, that this is right at or a tad over "book max" on most rounds I've loaded for. I want
all the velocity (pressure) that any cartridge case is designed for. IOW, I look for less, but close to 60-65K on '06 size cases, and as close to 65K as I can safely get to with any magnum. If I want "less" velocity for a particular hunt ( say a magnum for close range deer hunting) I'll slow it down, but if I use a monobullet, I don't sweat it. I also like to use a heavy for caliber old school round nose at 2500fps or so for some hunts, which accomplish the same thing, i.e, less bloodshot meat.
Read back on my 35 Whelen Ackley predicted pressure requests and you will see that I had been using very hot loads in it for decades. That Ackley shape design ( taper blown out, 40 deg shoulder) is a nifty looking design, to me. I've used them since the late '70s. I never had a problem with them, mechanically, as that case design "hides" visible pressure signs very well, ha. I also use/used new cases for fireforming and hunting ( essentially I formed the cases, and loaded my hunting ammo. One and done) I seldom have ever fired one of those rounds more than three times. So, my persnickety preference for using new brass ( and the Lord!) kept me from ruining my rifles or my devastatingly good looks ( you see my beautiful Brown eyes! ha) As mentioned....velocity IS pressure, regardless of what we "think" the fired cases is telling us. Its a great hobby though! Love it! :)

Back