How much gap between the forearm and barrel to free float?

SJB358":6t7qsvly said:
If a premium barrel won’t shoot well with reasonable ammunition right outta the gate I will start questioning the barrel and scope right outta the gate. Premium barrels shouldn’t have to be shot “in” to produce from the get go.

I know Dan loads amazing ammo, so I’d be pretty skeptical myself.

I’d agree with that as long as I knew the chamber reamer was in good shape and used somewhat correctly.

All the barrel makers put out a dud on occasion for sure. The good ones will even ‘fess up to it.

gbflyer":1u5fi488 said:
SJB358":1u5fi488 said:
If a premium barrel won’t shoot well with reasonable ammunition right outta the gate I will start questioning the barrel and scope right outta the gate. Premium barrels shouldn’t have to be shot “in” to produce from the get go.

I’d agree with that as long as I knew the chamber reamer was in good shape and used somewhat correctly.

All the barrel makers put out a dud on occasion for sure. The good ones will even ‘fess up to it.

For sure. I’ve been through the racket of screwed barrels. Picky rifles don’t make it long around here anymore. Life’s too darned short to sweat a 1/10 of a grain of powder, balancing on one leg with a crescent moon to make a rifle shoot well.

SJB358":3iqrqfh0 said:
gbflyer":3iqrqfh0 said:
SJB358":3iqrqfh0 said:

For sure. I’ve been through the racket of screwed barrels. Picky rifles don’t make it long around here anymore. Life’s too darned short to sweat a 1/10 of a grain of powder, balancing on one leg with a crescent moon to make a rifle shoot well.

Agree 100%.

I’ve been using lots of open sights recently. My accuracy threshold has gone way down. I can now blame poor eyesight and pitiful riflery[emoji1]

SJB358":1xrdz2g9 said:
gbflyer":1xrdz2g9 said:
SJB358":1xrdz2g9 said:

Agreed on all counts with any modern gun, there's too many that shoot to mess with something that is cantakerous, unless there's a quick fix, moving on is the right move.

On older guns I give some leeway just for the cool factor of some of them. Can't remember which one, but a Jack O'Connor book I have he talked about some guns that will shoot an inch.....at the time that was a real accomplishment. So on older guns if they will hang on either side of 1 1/4" I appreciate them for what they are, if I can get an inch or under with them I'm really happy.

For sure. I am the same and give older rifles a break or rifles that don’t require tiny groups. If they are consistent I am A Ok with that.

I’ve not seen or heard of a Hart barrel that won’t shoot.
If they’re close enough to you I’d call them and saddle up and run down there. Those guys know rifles. They may even see something else and give advice.
I would also look at your load workup (not inferring you don’t work up good stuff by the way). With a bunch of freebore on that barrel it may want to be run hard before it shoots. Just a thought.
Have you noticed if the forearm has flex under a little pressure? If so it may be that the flexing is causing it to hit the barrel when fired.

Back