How to ruin a perfect 200 yard group

HTDUCK

Handloader
Apr 18, 2009
Fire forming brass for a new to me 280AI yesterday.
Three shots, 200 yards.

Then I got the bright idea that since I was just fire forming cases I'd make it a 5 shot group.
Dang trigger monkey showed up again.

Load was RP brass
Fed 210 Primer
51.0 grs H380
140 SGK BTSP
MV was 2875 average for 50 rounds.

Ain't that the way it goes! Sure looked good for a short while!

I have a binder full of just those kinds of targets. And people think golf is for the obsessive compulsive over achiever:)

Congratulations on the 280AI. She looks to be a shooter.
What rifle did you get?

JD338

Funny things can happen when you start stepping back. That's why the x ring on an SR is the size of a beer can top.

Last year I put 2 rounds pinwheel x, and the other 8 into a half dollar... straddling the 10/9. Missed a small wind increase on my mag change, cost me leg points.

Howard that is a great calibre just wondering what make & model rifle did you obtain? (y)
Also what load are you using?

Blessings,
Dan

I would suggest Howard that you probably won't miss anything with a group like that. I always tighten up on the last one. Drives me nuts, great shooting

JD338":9rqowkok said:
Congratulations on the 280AI. She looks to be a shooter.
What rifle did you get?

JD338

Bought a barrel off a member of this forum used.
It's an 8 twist tube that I'm hoping will be a perfect match w the 168LRAB .
Had my smith screw it in a 700 action I picked up.
Already had an HS Precision stock I took off my 280 Rem, bases , rings and a 4-20 Minox in the safe.
I'm in this rig for $825.00 not including the spare parts I already had .

sask boy":11qikd5a said:
Howard that is a great calibre just wondering what make & model rifle did you obtain? (y)
Also what load are you using?

Blessings,
Dan

Dan just some stuff I threw together in a couple of hours.
51 grs H380 and a 140 Sierra GK BTSP.
Not a powder I plan to use in this rifle.
Happen to always keep a couple lbs in the locker because it meters beautifully and I don't have to weigh charges if I need to load a bunch of ammo in a hurry.
It works great in 22-250 and 308.
Never know when the grandkids are gonna want to go shooting !

Good shooting.

Danged Trigger Monkey jumping in when no one wants him... :mrgreen:

There may in fact be no problem at all. This may be where your rifle normally groups this load at 200 yards. May be a slight wind shift. Even an imperceptible shift (remember wind moves in 3 dimensions) can move bullets and inch or 2 at 200 yards.

This is why I don't like 3 shot groups. Sample is too small to draw meaningful conclusions other than the most basic load development. I find 5 to be most useful for hunting rifles, and will go to 10 shot groups for a match load to weed out any load that may be giving an occasional flier. I'd like to go 20, but at a certain point you're burning more powder and throat than it's worth. Once I get a good 10 shot group going, any problems will sort themselves out on the line.

I'd still hunt with that one, maybe try some more and see if there's any tweaking to be done or if I just had a bad trigger moment if I really wanted to stretch it. For competition shooting, that load would certainly get some more groups downrange to see if the condition repeats.

G'Day Fella's,

HT Duck, yes........welcome to the club!
Mind you, thats some fine shooting there!!!

Here's just one example of the same thing from myself......(bottom RH group) D'oh!
019.JPG
CZ 452 American with Lapua "Standard Club" / SK "Magazine" standard velocity ammo.

Doh!
Homer

Back