howa 243 ballistic tips

tootalloutdoors

Beginner
Oct 15, 2005
I'm loading for a howa 243 varmint rifle with a 1x10 twist. I really like the bt's in my 22-250 and want to try them in the 243. 75gr. v-max's did not group well at all. They were seated at 2.710. I'm not concerned with anything but groups. Not hides, penetration ect. I'm wanting to experiment with light and heavy bullets to achieve it. Any experiences in this area? Thanks

I just picked up a new Stevens 200 in .243 and am going to start working up some loads for it soon. In reviewing my old .243 loading data, it would seem that I had some pretty good results with IMR-4064 and the Nosler 70 gr BT and the Sierra 75 gr HP. I bought a box of the new 80 gr Ballistic Tips for varmint loads and some 95 gr Ballistic Tips for deer loads. I figure IMR-4064, IMR-4350 and Accurate Data 86 (very similar to 3100, but very inexpensive in 8 lb kegs from powder valley) should be able to provide some decent loads. Will keep you posted. For pure accuracy in 100 yard groups, my old records in a 22" barrel Savage and a 24" barrel Model 70, the relatively inexpensive Sierra 75 gr flat base hollow point was very consistent. I may have to try a box of those, too. Be sure to post your results, as all rifles differ in what they shoot best with. I seemed to get good results in 3 different rifles with IMR-4064 and the Nosler 70 gr Ballistic Tip and Sierra 75 gr HP.

I'm getting gr8 groups using 58 grain Hornady V'Max bullets in my 243 wssm (and lots of velocity). But I sure would like to see a better selection of bullet weights in the 22 / 24 caliber arena.

tootalloutdoors":3ct6ffeo said:
I'm loading for a howa 243 varmint rifle with a 1x10 twist. I really like the bt's in my 22-250 and want to try them in the 243. 75gr. v-max's did not group well at all. They were seated at 2.710. I'm not concerned with anything but groups. Not hides, penetration ect. I'm wanting to experiment with light and heavy bullets to achieve it. Any experiences in this area? Thanks

I have used the 55 BT's out of a Savage 243 with 760 and H414. I did realize 4000+ fps and good accuracy.

O.K. thanks guys. I'll try some 414 with some light bullets. I think I'll also try some 4831 with some heavier bullets this weekend. I'll let you know. Thanks tootalloutdoors

tootalloutdoors,

Try the following load, it has shot very well inabout 6-7 243 Wins.

70 gr BT
IMR 4895 39.0-39.5 grs
W-W case
Federal GM210M primer

JD338

I get excellent results with the Nosler 70gr. Bal.Tip in both my .243Win. and my 6mm Rem. as well. I find the Sierra 70gr. HPBT is equally as accurate in these rifles. Neither caliber is very finicky and a wide range of powders give good results. Best wishes.

Cal - Montreal

JD, come to think of it, add another 1 for that load! Shoots .75" out of my moms little ruger S/S. I used it on a couple coyotes and mainly squirrels.

Back