Howa M1500/ .375 Ruger!

Big Squeeze

Handloader
May 29, 2007
In looking at the Legacy Sports web site today, I discovered by clicking onto their `08 catalog, that the Howa M1500`s will be chambered in the .375 Ruger and according to my dealer, availablity will be in about 2 or 3 months after the January and Feb. gun shows are over. I called Legacy direct. There are none to be had yet!........ The Hogue stock on the M1500 will be absolutely identical to Ruger`s Alaskan. The bedding will also be the same, but the Howa`s will also be free floated. The barrel will be the same matte ionized one that is also on the Ruger Alaskan; (available in stainless too). The Howa`s (Vanguard) actions are very much the same as the M77`s.............There are two differences between the two. The first is that the barrel length on the Howa will be 24" while the Alaskan`s tube is at 20".. The second is that the Alaskan`s barrel has iron sights while the 1500`s will not....The Howa will be about a 1/2 pound lighter than the Alaskan`s 8 lbs............The dealer`s price in Calif. for the Ruger Alaskan is at $999.00, while the MSRP on Legacy`s site for the Howa matte barrel is $589!! The stainless version is about $780!!...........Looking further on the Legacy site (downloaded catalog only), I see that even the thumbhole sporter stocks and the Axioms can be had in the .375 Ruger too!!!.........I just bought my .375 Alaskan last month and put 40 rounds through it. Luckily, I chatted with my neighbor who is a Ruger freakozoid and shooting buddy, who will buy it from me at the full out the door price I paid for it, just as if he bought it himself. I`ll only be out the dealer background check fees of $35 to get it in his name!..........My savings between the two rifles is over $400 less the cost of bases and rings for the Howa!...Other than the minor differences listed above, the Howa AT 41% LESS, is same rifle; in quality, in durability and almost every other way as the Ruger`s Alaskan!!!..............If anyone is in the market for a .375 Ruger, how in the world can you go wrong with the Howa. I`ve never owned a Howa, but it is my understanding through articles and feedback, that its accuracy and quality out of the box, are outstanding!.......Passing this info along as maybe others will also be able to save some money!

The Howa's are very nice from what I have been told.
Sounds like a good savings plan which everyone likes to get.
I always like to help someone out when I can and I'm glad you are doing the same. Thanks.

JD338

Outstanding!!! I bought a Howa many years ago & they are good quality.
The receiver lends itself to bedding if needed & I really like the recoil lug.
The trigger is not the best, but some know how to make them better in addition to the normal adjustments & Timney now makes a good one at a good price. Big Squeeze, I know you like shorter barrels & in this particular caliber I might like it also, but as you know it doesn't matter, getting the barrel cut & crowned doesn't cost much. And even with Warne or other brand quick detachable rings, you are still well under the Ruger.

NOMO!!................Happened to go by my gun dealer today and put a deposit down on the Howa .375 Ruger! Snooping around I see a Howa M1500 chambered in the 338 Win. Mag AND the same Ruger Alaskan that I bought in matte!............I must be losing it!! The Howa`s action is little smoother than the Alaskan`s???!!! In comparing the trigger pull, which the Alaskan`s is at about 4 lbs., I found the trigger on the M1500 to be very comparable if not actually better!! Can`t go too low or crispy with a DGR!!!..........The Alaskan`s matte barrel is more dull, while the Howa`s is more of a lustre but not a shiny blued by any means. As I stated before, the Hogue stocks are identical to a tee!!........YES! I do like those shorty barrels BUT, when you take into consideration the price difference and that the Howa will be almost a 1/2 lb. lighter, there should be little difference in how quickly the target is acquired or the handling of the rifle. I can live with the added 4" of barrel length!!........Although irrelevent in the field, my chrony results with the factory Hornady 270 gr. Spire Points averaged 2706 fps. MV. with the Alaskan`s 20" barrel. Chances are the Howa`s 24" will get another 60 to 120 fps..........

Big Squeeze

Congratulations.

So when do you pick her up?
Post some pics. I think that 375 Ruger is an interesting round.

JD338

JD338................I have no idea yet when they become available. Legacy does not have them in inventory yet for shipment to the dealers! However, when I did call Legacy direct, he told me that probably a good 6 to 8 weeks would be needed! I did put down a deposit yesterday at my gun dealer............. Like my dealer said yesterday! "You are really getting a Weatherby Vanguard, under the Howa name, chambered in the .375 Ruger!! Does that sum it up??..........Another little difference I saw between the Howa and the Alaskan was the difference in the safety. The Ruger has a 3 position lever type safety, while the Howa has the 3 position push or pull with the thumb type safety! I actually prefer the Howa`s safety. It seems easier!...............With their name on it, I thought Ruger would have a patent lock on that cartridge and in order to get the .375 Ruger one would need to buy a Ruger rifle. I guess not!! I certainly didn`t think that there would be any other alternative, which is why I bought the Alaskan in the first place!! So much for my assumptions!!.......To be honest, the quality of the Howa rifle well exceeds its price tag! MSRP is only $589?? For a .375 Ruger??.....My dealer says I`ll probably pay about $520 to $530 as they always sell below MSRP. That`s 47% less than what the Alaskan was at $999!! What a deal for a rifle that will probably be more accurate from the bench!............I have a feeling that as more people find this out, especially those in the market for a 375, their wheels are really going to start to spin!!......Even Craig Bottington admitted in an article, that the .375 Ruger is ballistically a better and more efficient cartridge than the `ol 375 H&H! He admitted though, that it really pained him to write that comment!! He loves the 375 H&H!!..........Just wait until I get my chrony out for this Weatherby/Howa and Ruger combo!!!

Confirmed with Legacy Sports, that the new Howa M1500`s chambered in the .375 Ruger will not be available until June! Also, according to the `08 catalog, it is listed with a 24" barrel. Talked with Andy McCormick today who is a VP for Legacy, who happens to be shooting the prototype right now!............ The new Howa .375 Ruger according to him, will in fact have the 20" tube with iron sights, which is just like Ruger`s Alaskan!! Basically, it will be almost the same rifle except the Howa will have the free floating barrel and use a different designed 3 position safety than Ruger`s. The Howa will use the Vanguard action and should have better bench accuracy!..............At a $589 MSRP, $400+ or so less than Ruger`s Alaskan @ $999, I don`t doubt that any advanced publicity prior to June may cause some back orders for those in the market for a .375!.....My deposit is in on this deal!!!..... If any of you are in the market for an all-weather, go anywhere .375, the Howa`s quality at this price point, certainly cannot be matched!

TScott..................A 338 RCM in a Howa M1500 short action, would certainly be a wonderful rig! And probably less money than the Ruger rifles too! The 338 RCM is to the 338 Win., what the 300 WSM is to the 300 Win.........You may want to give Legacy a call to see if they have any plans in the future to chamber the 338 RCM in the Howa M1500`s.......

Big Squeeze":1lekmyp0 said:
Confirmed with Legacy Sports, that the new Howa M1500`s chambered in the .375 Ruger will not be available until June! Also, according to the `08 catalog, it is listed with a 24" barrel. Talked with Andy McCormick today who is a VP for Legacy, who happens to be shooting the prototype right now!............ The new Howa .375 Ruger according to him, will in fact have the 20" tube with iron sights, which is just like Ruger`s Alaskan!! Basically, it will be almost the same rifle except the Howa will have the free floating barrel and use a different designed 3 position safety than Ruger`s. The Howa will use the Vanguard action and should have better bench accuracy!..............At a $589 MSRP, $400+ or so less than Ruger`s Alaskan @ $999, I don`t doubt that any advanced publicity prior to June may cause some back orders for those in the market for a .375!.....My deposit is in on this deal!!!..... If any of you are in the market for an all-weather, go anywhere .375, the Howa`s quality at this price point, certainly cannot be matched!

Wow, that's even better, I may have to buy one!! I am not sure what he means by Van. action???

Nomo......WPH is right! The actions in the Wby. Vanguards are the Howas!!.........So! You get the rifle that has a Weatherby Vanguard action, with the same Hogue stock and barrel length as the Ruger Alaskan, a free floated barrel, shooting the .375 Ruger cartridge, marketed under the Howa name AND sells for more than $400 less!!.............Coming in June!!! :idea: :idea: :idea:

Yes, I know the actions are the same with Howa making both. I thought it was a little odd the way the Legacy guy stated it. Anyway, I think this is a heck of a deal.

Nomo...............Thinkin about getting the Howa in the 375 Ruger??? Just in case though, you`d better go put a deposit down!!

Back