Hunting boots?

jmad_81

Handloader
Feb 14, 2007
What do you guys use? I'm in the market, and just found out that my trusty Irish Setters are made in CHINA :evil:

Looking for something waterproof, and with 600-1000 gram insolation, and made in the USA!

Danner Pronghorn...best hunting boots I have ever worn. Light for stalking and 400 grams thinsulate is just right for me spot and stalk hunting and sitting for a few hours at a time. In the winter, I wear red head wick dry socks with lifetime warranty from bass pro. In the fall or moderate temps, I wear my military issued Rocky boots.

Baffin "trapper" boots. Not made in the USA but close in Canada. They're a rubber boot with a wool felt/tinfoil/spaceage liner. Surprisingly light, as warm as the old "mickey mouse" boots and absolutely water and scent proof. Great traction on ice/snow and mud.

When it's snowy and cold I sure like my Schnee's Hunter II boots with the leather top and rubber bottom. They are 13" in height which gives your legs more support and I really like walking in them. Even broken in leather boots sometimes give me blisters where I have never had blisters wearing these things. They make them with Bison hide also and someday I'd like to get a pair of those just for the cool factor. They also have a air-bob sole that really grips in all conditions. Nice boots.

Sorry....Danner Pronghorns too. Best I've had, but not made here any more.

boots.jpg

Well, it turns out that the Pronghorn isn't made in the US either :x

I believe the Danner Trophies & Canadians are still made here. At least my pair were marked USA. Those are their two top end models.

I have the Danner Canadian. 10 inches with 600 grams of insulation, great traction and best of all made in the USA. Danner has two lines one is made in the USA the others in China. If you look at their boxes they have different colors. I really love the Canadians and have had them for two years now, very comfy.

Corey

My work boots are American made Danners, and I like them very much. I've backpacked and hunted in the Danners with no problems. Some Danners are made overseas, some are made here in the USA. Their web site clearly shows which models are made here.

Last winter I was looking for a new set of backpacking/hunting boots and came across an Italian made boot, Zamberlan. http://www.zamberlan.com

Very good, high quality boots. Closest thing to a mountaineering boot that I've had in a long time. A little stiff at first, but they've broken in nicely. Kept my feet dry, warm and protected on a short backpack hunt here in the Cascades last month. The Italians apparently know a thing or two about building a good pair of mountain boots.

Vasque builds a nice light hiker - but I think they're from China. I've worn out a couple of pairs in recent years. Good knock-around boot. Comfortable.

Merrill used to be a good company - but I had a pair of theirs self-destruct in the middle of a backpacking trip about five years ago, causing me nasty foot pain during the hike out and after. They were just over a year old and I couldn't get a replacement pair from them, or even a few bucks off. Not happy, and can't recommend the Merrill anymore. Another case of a good name, now produced overseas. Maybe I just got a bad pair. It was not pleasant, having my boots literally come apart in the high Cascades, 20 miles from the closest trailhead. Ugh.

Guy

I am going to jump off the wagon a little here. I use these. They are are Asolo 520GTX's. They are made to carry heavy packs, they are excellent on ankle support and with a pair of gaiters, they are great in deep snow. You can get them insulated or non-insulated. I have a pair that has been to Afghanistan 3x and to Idaho hunting 2-3x. I wear them all the time in the rear and they just last. Once in awhile I rub them down with some mink oil, or something to rejuvenate them, but man, they are tough! They are made in Italy I believe and if you buy them from REI and they fail, they will replace them, no questions asked. I have two pairs of them and I wouldn't be without them. They feel like they don't bend much, but with weight on your back in rough terrain, you want a tough boot that stays the course. All leather with an excellent sole. Scotty

http://www.rei.com/product/693828/asolo ... boots-mens

ED50AE8A-orig.jpg

Its a shame i cant hardly find anything made in the USA. Bought a winchester knife, made by carolina knife and tool. Guess what? made in china!! And when we do by american made products we are expected to pay top dollar. Im sorry but if you work in a factory how can you expect to be paid $40 hour assembling stuff, while a bachelor graduate cant even find a job! Hope i didnt offend to many union people :grin:

I just purchased another pair of Danner Super Rain Forest (Work Boots) 200gm. They are triple stitched, etc .... The most durable boats I have owned. I get about 10+ years of hunting and no sore feet with these boots. The downside ... they are not cheap. If you hunt in rough country these will not be out of line for consideration.

View attachment 10800.jpg

I wear White's out of Spokane WA. I was a Fire Fighter in 1975, and got my first pair of White's, been wearing them ever since. I still wear those Smoke Jumpers I got in 1975. They have been rebuilt a couple times. I have 7 pair now, most are Farmer Rancher, with 14" tops. Real good arches and good ankle support.

Those are some great looking boots. Look to be really sturdy and tough. Scotty

The downside ... they are not cheap.

Cheap is not a consideration when my ability to walk without pain is in the mix. I'm prepared to spend a bit of money for good boots.

DrMike":vrcxuggg said:
The downside ... they are not cheap.

Cheap is not a consideration when my ability to walk without pain is in the mix. I'm prepared to spend a bit of money for good boots.

EXACTLY! I have found boots and socks to be the #1 item I wear and can use that will keep me in the fight or hunt. Good boots really make life alot better in the field. Scotty

Back