Hunting Knife - Recommendations

M7025-06

Beginner
Jun 28, 2014
I've been using a Buck Omni folder for gutting deer the last 3 or 4 years, but I'm not overly impressed with it...doesn't seem to hold it's edge very well.

I'm looking for some recommendations on a different knife. I'd like to keep it under $100. I don't have a preference as far folder or fixed.

Thanks.

I use almost exclusively a piranta anymore. The outdoor edge swingblade is a decent knife too, love the skinning blade

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The various Havalon knives work very well for me. I've only acquired an Outdoor Edge Razor Pro which looks as if it will be very handy. Also, I have used for several season a couple of Outdoor Edge Swing Blades which have served me well.

I switched to a Havalon 4 years ago and haven't looked back. I picked up the Gerber version and prefer their handle to the older Piranta. Blades are the same- #60 scalpel blades.

Be aware- the Havalon is not a "knife", it's a scalpel and requires a slightly different technique. You cannot torque or side load the blade, it will snap but cutting with the blade it is sharper than anything else you can carry. I usually butcher one entire animal before I swap the blade.

That said- I've broken down a whole bunch of caribou and a few moose with only a Havalon and a Wyoming saw.

I have several I like though I recently bought a Buck Vanguard but hasn't been tested. I have a well used Case XX utility style 5" I like a lot for boning. I have wore out a Buck Prince folder which has seen the most work for gutting and skinning and a small Kershaw lock blade I have used until the rubber scales have melted from the animal fat but the blade is awesome and holds an edge very well. I have a tendency to favor small blades for gutting and skinning.

I use the swingblade to open up the hide, then switch to the piranta to do the dismantling. The Wyoming saw is a must!

I have the same knife as Dr. Mike. I've been through a few blades this year but 10-15.00 worth of blades is cheap compared to having to stop and sharpen a normal knife. For years I used a Buck with changeable blades and it worked good until it got really dull. The Razor Lite seems like cheating.

Check out the Victorinox Swiss Army Hunter. It has a locking blade, serrated gutting blade and a wood saw that I use on bone when I need to. I was first turned onto this knife from a Canadian moose guide in 2003. He went to work on my moose with it and I was pretty impressed. I came home and bought one for myself and have used it on elk, bear, deer, antelope and cheese. Works well for all, especially the cheese:). I gave a good friend and his son the same knife for a gift and they have used it on many animals. Also makes a great camp knife too.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 3,781
I'm a traditional fixed blade guy and don't have any experience with the removable razor blade knives. But I have friends that use them and love them. If your looking for something a little more robust buck makes a few blades with s30v steel that are superb and likely within your price range. The benchmade hunt series is slightly above your $100 but well worth it. Beyond that you have Bark River Knives, Fiddleback Forge but those are getting up there in price. For cleaning game you don't need anything big, something with a 3-4 inch blade is more than enough. I will warn you that a number of knives are made with steel that isn't particularly well known for edge retention. This are the ones people often complain about having to resharpen. Steel like s30v, D2, 3V, and elmax are great choices, each has their pros and cons. Or you can just jump into the deep end and order a Southfork from Phil Wilson at Sea Mount Knives. I have one in K390 steel and it is truly capable of completely breaking down multiple animals without needing to be sharpened. If you have any specific questions about a particular type of steel (e.g. their pros and cons, what they are best suited for, things like that) I may be able to answer your question.

Attachments

• Southfork.jpg
    Southfork.jpg
    43.1 KB · Views: 3,811
One more recommendation, Knives of Alaska makes great knives that are under your price limit. Specifically the Alpha Wolf is superb. They are available in D2 and S30V steels. I was able to do a cow elk with one and did not need to touch up the blade in the middle of the job.

Havalon, a 4 inch Buck, and an Oldtimer pocket knife takes care of my field prep. Several Buck knives do kitchen prep.

Thanks to everyone for all of the info.

After doing some research on what was recommended here, I've narrowed it down to a Benchmade Saddle Mountain. I wanted something I could pass down to my boy when he's ready...which isn't too far down the road.

Again...thanks for the help.

Sent from my HTC6535LVW using Tapatalk

For butchering, Havalon hands down.

IMG_0115_zpsrmk1hbik.jpg

For field work, I've never handled a knife better than the Gerber 950.

111_1185.jpg

Looks a little big, but you can quarter an elk with one.

P

Fastest field dressing knife on a cow elk I ever used was a Cold Steel Recon Tanto, ha. I ripped up her brisket, chopped through the pelvis, it still shaved when I was done! It was cold and getting colder and I was by myself. I didn't want to stop and build a fire and I was starting to get the shakes. It has a long blade, but man, it was fast. I also like my Tim Wegner Clipit. I normally bring a handful of folders in the pack, I don't even try to sharpen out in the field, just go to another knife if needed. One can't have too many knives! :)

For years I used the rubber handled Buck Vanguards. I now use the Outdoor Edge Swingblades, but also have a Havalon for fine capping work. I have also found some of the older Kershaw fixed blades to be quite good blades, but only have a newer blade that is made of different steel. It is very sharp, but cannot yet speak as to its edge retention.

I happen to have a Benchmade Saddle Mountain and it is the scariest sharp knife I have ever owned! I skinned a bull with it last season and barely affected how sharp it was. I sent it in to Benchmade for their eversharp program and it came back sharper than when I first got it.

They do indeed make a good knife.

D

Find a local knife maker and get a little custom made up for yourself. It will be a nice one to hand down when your son gets of age.

Back