Hunting Knife - Recommendations

hey Baltz- that looks a lot like the old Schrade Walden "Sharp Finger" skinner...a very handy little knife it is too. I like the bigger belly on yours though. I like CRKT knifes too, very sharp, good steel. My BIL in Texas has been using his Sharp Finger for decades...

I'm partial to custom fixed blades but if I was going to buy a factory knife I'd go with the Havalon.

Vince

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This season I used my Camillus Bushcrafter fixed blade for most of the critters, and a Havalon Piranta for caping. I think a set up with a 3.5-4.5" fixed blade for tougher work and as a camp knife, plus a Havalon for caping is hard to beat.

I like the Battle Horse knives really well. I have used their Blackwater knife quite a bit. It is a bit thinner bladed than the Camillus and not as good a camp knife, but great for game.

The Dunn Knives skinner is darn nice too, I have one of their small skinners I used in place of the Havalon before purchasing it. It is a bit harder to sharpen with it's S30V blade, but holds an edge really well.

The Outdoor Edge Razor Pro is stouter than the Havalon, If I was going to only carry one knife this is a good one. If weight is a huge concern this should probably be the only knife I pack. I just hate being somewhere weight is a huge concern without a decent fixed blade so I don't.

Most of the knives I like are high carbon O1 or 1095 steel. It holds a good edge but not like some of the stainless supersteels now available. I like how easy it is to touch up in the field though. I have a Victorionox 8" steel I use an awful lot around home or camp. I just purchased a Cabelas ceramic steel that only weighs 2.4oz I want to try in my pack, see if it works as well with it's minimal weight. I carry and use the Camillus Bushcrafter daily on the ranch where I work and continue to be impressed with it's toughness. I can abuse it working and after 10 swipes on the steel that night it takes hair off my arm again. Darn good knife.

I use a Havalon and SOG Skinner:
SOG Huntspoint - Skinning.jpg

It's S30V steel and I like Orange handle, it's easier to see when you set it down.

The Havalon or equiv are just plain sharp and nice to change the blade when in field so that you always have a sharp tool in hand.

I've been carrying a filet knife - 6" blade with me. This blade is great for cleaning out the area "Under the Tail". The blade is long enough to reach. Also use it to filet off the back straps too. The small filet knife is very light - 3 oz and not bothersome at all in my pack.
SOG - Filet.jpg

preacher":e2b5lslo said:
hey Baltz- that looks a lot like the old Schrade Walden "Sharp Finger" skinner...a very handy little knife it is too. I like the bigger belly on yours though. I like CRKT knifes too, very sharp, good steel. My BIL in Texas has been using his Sharp Finger for decades...
I have two US made sharp fingers. Used them for years, until I found the Minimalist.

preacher":2wk5nfrs said:

I still pack and use my grandfathers sharpfinger!!
It's great for skinnin a bit short for gutting moose but ok on deer!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

https://www.amazon.com/Morakniv-Allroun ... ting+knife

Buy 3 of these. Maybe a couple different styles. You can do no better, do not be fooled by the price. This is a tool, plain and simple, no frills, all performance. Some of the Finnish and Norwegian knives are also extremely good. Same steel, more refined and expensive.

All of my hunting and working knives are made by Mora. They have an extremely sharp edge straight from the factory... the Scandinavian grind combined with their steel produces a wicked edge. They hold it well and are easily re-sharpened. I would avoid their carbon steel unless you will be using a firesteel. The stainless is very good and lower maintenance. I have a similar, but shorter blade (I added the longer one for you as I assume larger Western game is on your menu). Basic 4" blade, rubber handle. This season, I field dressed, skinned and quartered 2 whitetailed deer in addition to the typical camp chores of cutting some rope and opening packages. I'm not shy about driving it through the pelvic arch with a birch log. This knife will handle it. Never touched a steel, still parted cartilage and hide like a scalpel on the last deer. Touched the steel finally after the job was done and put away for next year. This is typical performance of these knives through years of hunting, wilderness camping, and utility construction work. I did break the tip off of one once prying the head off a snowmobile motor. Grip is comfortable and stays firm even when wet, bloody or fatty. Just an all around great tool at a fair price.

For butchering, Victorinox/Forschener boning knives and an Ontario breaker are your friends.

If you are looking for more of a heirloom quality knife, this one in the Scandinavian style will suit you very well. https://www.amazon.com/Brusletto-Campin ... tto+knives

I've used several Moras over the years. I like them. Back in the day...$10 would get you one, they're still not expensive.

I came across a source for unmarked Mora blades and made my own "semi custom" knife out of it. Pretty cool project one winter in the Aleutians.

hodgeman":32bbioj4 said:
I've used several Moras over the years. I like them. Back in the day...$10 would get you one, they're still not expensive.

I came across a source for unmarked Mora blades and made my own "semi custom" knife out of it. Pretty cool project one winter in the Aleutians.
https://www.amazon.com/Morakniv-Stainle ... ife+blades Here you go Hodgeman. Interesting, the bare blade is the same price as the knife.

I used my outdoor edge razor light for everything I skinned and cleaned 6 elk and one cougar with it and I absolutely love using this knife

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

I had a cutco folding pocket knife that I loved , it sure would get sharp and hold an edge. I lost it while gutting a deer, laid it down to roll the deer over to drain and it disappeared into the leaves.

Another vote for the Buck 110. 21 years on mine and can't count how many times I have used it. May sharpen it one of these days...

I've had a couple of Buck 110 knives forever. I almost never use them for skinning or cleaning game. I prefer shorter blades and a drop point for those tasks. Still, I almost always have a 110 with me for other tasks.

I have the little brother 112 and wore the leather case out so it's too heavy to carry in my pocket so it resides on my dresser. I also have a Buck Prince that has been sharpened so much the point sticks above the scales and sticks me every now and then so it also has found the dresser residence.

hodgeman":2nawx1xx said:

The last couple knives I have made for the Jr. members of our deer camp were made from $9 Mora carbon steel blanks I got from a general store in northern WI. The others I have made came from this website. I have no affiliation with them, but they have a great selection of Sweedish and Finnish blades.

https://www.ragweedforge.com/BladeCatalog.html#f-blades

The blades I have used have all been razor sharp carbon steel and easy to keep sharp with a steel and strop. I prefer blades that are under 4", like my Buck 112. I still carry the Buck knife, but the Karesuando I carry gets most of the gutting and quartering work now. I have a heck of a time sharpening the very hard stainless steel Buck blade. Usually, I just bring it to a local butcher and pay him a few bucks to sharpen it. I use a 5" curved Victorinox boning knife and 6" Swedish steel fillet knife to bone the meat.

truck driver":3425v28n said:
I have the little brother 112 and wore the leather case out so it's too heavy to carry in my pocket so it resides on my dresser. I also have a Buck Prince that has been sharpened so much the point sticks above the scales and sticks me every now and then so it also has found the dresser residence.
You can contact Buck and get a new case for it to wear on your belt! Those are nice knives.

This year I changed knives and used a Havalon for the first time and it really worked slick :wink:.
So I sent out a short note advising that Dad/Opa would sure like to see a Outdoor Edge Razor Pro under the Christmas Tree or in his Stocking :mrgreen:.

Blessings,
Dan

Back