Hunting Movies

I have seen Ghost in the Darkness.
I liked it! I thought it was a good movie.
pill have to look up Out of Africa

I really liked the "Ghost and the Darkness". I believe those lions are at the Fields Musuem in Chicago.
I might have seen an older version of that moive, just not sure.
I thought Out of Africa was more of a chic flic

When we were prepping for our trip to Africa last year Catherine thought we should watch hunting movies about Africa. We watched out of Africa. It is a chic flic but it’s ok. I liked ghost in the darkness. Questioned some of the tactics but I don’t know squat about lions. Grizzly yes lions no.

The books are better than the movies if you can get your hands on them or care to read.
I've read & have a copy of 'The Man Eaters of Tsavo' by Colonel Patterson & of course it's more detailed than the movie.
I've been to Africa (Many countries there) a lot of times man & boy... In both movies, the scenic views are much like those of when I first went in 1959.
The game reserves seemed pretty much unchanged when I last went to Kenya & Tanzania in 2005 of course the game lodges (Marangu, N'gulia, Amboseli, Voi etc) were built by then. It was always a wonderful experience that my wife & I enjoyed. I always as an adult got a rental Land Rover & drove us around the various reserves. No hunting, but lots of photo's!

Last edited:
I've seen both of those movies, and they each have their own unique charm. "The Ghost and the Darkness" had some intense moments, and Val Kilmer and Michael Douglas really brought the story to life. "Out of Africa," on the other hand, is a timeless classic, and the chemistry between Robert Redford and Meryl Streep is undeniable.
If you're a movie enthusiast like me, you might want to explore what are current movies in theaters. There's always a diverse range of films to enjoy, and it's a great way to unwind and discover new stories.

Last edited:
The Ghost and the Darkness is a pretty good movie. I think though that I would have enjoyed it lot more if they'd stuck to the original story as portrayed in the book. Micheal Douglas' part in the movie was of character that did not exist. Pure Hollywood. But then, they never did get anything right.
Paul B.

All of those are very good. One for when you're feeling like cheap chuckles is "Escanaba in da Moonlight" with Jeff Daniels. About a Michigan hunter who's yet to get his buck. Relatively family friendly. We watch it about every year at deer camp. I stumbled acrost about 8 years ago. Now it's on Amazon/FreeVee. Another one to watch is "The Grey" with Liam Nesson about a wolf hunter in a plane crash being stalked by the wolves.

No one has mentioned " The Snows of Kilimanjaro". A classic novel and a decent movie.

Back