Hunting Partner

Guy Miner

Master Loader
Apr 6, 2006
The dude running away is NOT who you want as your hunting partner!

Small plane in the background. Wounded bear charging. I'd say guide on the left resolutely holding his ground and firing. No scope on the rifle. Dude running away likely wounded the bear and now doesn't want to stick around and finish the job.

Mort Kunstler, 1957 Sports Afield cover I believe.

Guy

Yup, the great white hunter.....
All I can say is when Sue shot her bear, she was my backup. I went into the swamp with my Marlin 1895G 45-70 while Sue was off to my side at the ready with her 30 Nosler. We only had to go about 30' and she actually saw the bear before I did.
Not the same as the picture about shows but you get my point.

JD338

I have gone in on wounded bears a few times; it is exhilarating. Only twice did I have a bear set up for an ambush, but two pairs of eyes and a steady partner ensured that the bruin's plan didn't work out. Only been charged about three times, and they were bluff charges. Those times can be rather exciting.

Bears add a bit of spice to our wilderness adventures for sure! Their presence alone...

HRknGepl.jpg

Guy, I think you've got this all wrong. The way I see it, the guy with the scoped rifle was the bait, and his job was to wander the tundra with a salmon in the seat of his pants to try and get the bear to chase him. This painting captured the moment just after he succeeds.

Back