HVA Carl Gustaf left hand

caribouhunter

Beginner
Mar 31, 2009
Hi!

Just lucked out on a HVA Carl Gustaf in left hand 270 win configuration.
custom barrel and stock (beautiful walnut blank it seems)

It seems pretty rare, and the few reviews I have found praise the 1900 Husqvarna action's smoothness and accuracy. the guy selling it told me he didn't shoot it much, but he was getting 1'' inch at 150Y with factory 130 gr federal SP.
i ordered 130 gr interlock for my first try at reloading for it, I have H4831, H4350, W760 to try em

Anybody familiar with the husky 1900 action?
is it 90 deg bolt lift?
is it as smooth as some say?

Tracking tells me it will get here on Friday, can't wait to see it in person... :)

Can't tell you much about it but as a fellow lefty I would sure love to see it when it arrives, congratulations. Sounds like a really nice gun. The 130 gr Hornady is an accurate bullet so with the powders you have listed I bet you'll find a good load quickly.

Congrats on a nice lefty find!
Sorry, no experience with the huskies myself, but a fellow I used to work with swore by his.
I only ever tried IMR4350 and 4831 in the 270 with 140 gr bullets with decent results.
Your H versions of both powders should work just fine with the 130 Hornady.
I would also try the Sierra GameKing and Speer Hot-Cor (if you can find them).
And as always, the Nosler Partition is an old favourite, with the 140 gr AccuBond being my favourite .277" projectile.

gerry":2wwi17pz said:
Can't tell you much about it but as a fellow lefty I would sure love to see it when it arrives, congratulations. Sounds like a really nice gun. The 130 gr Hornady is an accurate bullet so with the powders you have listed I bet you'll find a good load quickly.

Just got it in the mail a few minutes ago.
beautiful gun. lightweight and well balanced.
i’ll try to post pics later this week

Here’s a few pics

MYdkRm.jpg

Nx4G5J.jpg

Z6qD7Z.jpg

VeZEbY.jpg

That's an absolute beauty, if it shoots as good as it looks you'll be golden! I know you are going to try the 130 gr Hornady but the 150 gr Ballistic Tip is a favourite of mine that performs and shoots well if you want to try something different. Same with the 160 gr Partition.

I will sure try the 150 ballistic tip.
the supplier from which i had the best deal on dies amd brass doesn’t stock Nosler, but when i have some other things to order at the other place to make it worth the shipping i will order some.

i load the 120 bt in my wife’s 260, amd they are deadly on deer

Here's a place I have ordered from from Alberta that has some good prices and excellent selection. One less tax helps too.

https://www.wolverinegt.ca/

We use a lot of different bullets but the 120 and 140 gr Ballistic Tip's are favourite's in my wife's and my 6.5x55 and 260 as well.

That sure is a pretty rifle. Hope it shoots as good as it looks. Don't get distracted looking at it and let all the game walk by, lol. Dan.

The stock has some lovely character and the lines on the rifle are most attractive. As Gerry said, if it shoots as good as it looks, you'll be golden.

shot it today with factory american whitetail 140gr btsp and i’m not impressed...
1.5" to 3" groups.
hope it will do better with handloads.
i should receive 130gr interlock flat base this week.

but i was still expecting a semi custom rifle to shoot better with anything, hopefully it just doesn’t like that load at all

That happened with my 264 WM the first time I shot it using factory ammo and it was an accurate rifle so it might be discouraging now but it might be just fine. If it doesn't shoot with those 130's and H 4831 sc then I would be looking at some loose screws somewhere or look at the bedding or even the scope. It's amazing how many times a scope ends up being the problem.

Beautiful stock on that rifle!

Don't be discouraged just because your first load shoot as well as expected... keep trying, there'll either be a load it likes or another simple solution such as a good cleaning, bedding, retorquing the action screws, free floating the barrel or fixing the muzzle crown. I'm sure you'll find the right answer.

Well finally she ain’t just pretty, she shoots pretty good too.

60gr H4831 behind a 130 interlock Sp at 3145 average.

that should be good enough for hunting to 400-450 yards.
the two groups in the left side are new Win brass
the two on the right are once fired in that chamber and neck sized only with a Lee collet die.

AJGkSK.png

Yup- That'll do (y) I am having a dickens of a time just finding a left handed .22. What a find! Enjoy! CL

That's the classic load for a 270 Win. Excellent speed and accuracy, congrats on your shooting and of course a rifle that shoots as good as it looks!

You scored good on a classic beauty.

Congratulations to you, shoots as good as it looks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

A handsome rifle that delivers the goods! What's not to like. Excellent work on your part.

Back