I am thinking 243... input welcome

The 75gr V-max is the best coyote bullet I've ever used. I've taken at least 75 coyotes with this bullet and they rarely take a step. It almost never exits a coyote to cause extra pelt damage in my experience. I handload them to 3450fps in my 243 1 in 10 twist. As I've said before though, it is very hard on pelts if a bobcat or fox comes in. For strictly coyotes I've never tried anything I like better. V-max bullets have a better boattail than the ballistic tips to offer a little better BC in similar weight bullets.

I sure like hearing the rumors about a 90gr AccuBond for 2011. I will be trying that bullet as soon as it is available, I'll just load that bullet for everything if my guns like it.

mcseal2":3617ngkg said:
I sure like hearing the rumors about a 90gr AccuBond for 2011. I will be trying that bullet as soon as it is available, I'll just load that bullet for everything if my guns like it.

Not a rumor! Nosler will have the 243 90 gr AB out in 2011. Nosler part number 56357.

JD338

I'm a big fan of the light-kicking, hard-hitting 6mm's & .25 cal rifles! The .243 Win is very popular, for good reason.

Anyone handloading for the .243 should take a hard look at this great article over on 6mm BR.com: http://www.6mmbr.com/243Win.html

Coyotes, rockchucks & deer, all very well within the capabilities of a good .243 Win, 6mm Rem, .25-06 or similar cartridge.

I want to try the 6X45 in one of my ARs also. If you are taking most of your shots at 200 yards, it would a great one to use.

thats what I am thinking woody I found a place selling complete uppers for 450 with a 18" pipe or 465 with a 20"

JD338":3ew6vg0i said:
mcseal2":3ew6vg0i said:

Not a rumor! Nosler will have the 243 90 gr AB out in 2011. Nosler part number 56357.

JD338

Thanks for the update, I can't wait for that one!

I hope they get it out quick, that should be one sweet bullet. I bet my 90gr ballistic tip loads will be real close to right on for that bullet also. I've always wanted a high BC lighter weight bonded bullet to use but I haven't been able to get the accuracy I want from the Hornady 80gr GMX, 85gr Interbond, or 90gr Swift Scirocco. I've tried the 2nd two in 3 different 243's with no luck. I shot my new Savage today with the 1 in 9.25 twist and it shows lots of promise with the 100gr Sierra, but I haven't tried anything but that, the interbond, and the scirocco. I've had great results with IMR 4831 in all the 243's I've loaded for.

Another bullet I'm experimenting with is the new 87gr Berger VLD for the 1 in 10 twist with a G1 BC of .412. I signed up on LRH to test it and they sent me a box. I worked up a 1/2" load in my custom 243 when I got them in. My girlfriend and a couple other gals used this rifle to take their deer this year and the Berger's performance was impressive. None of the 3 deer moved more than 20ft after the shot at ranges from 70-210yds. One gal shot her buck to far back and the internal damage was so great the buck still only made it 20ft. My rifle is a 14lb gun with a thumbhole stock and the girls could make steady shots with it off my Bogpod tripod. I don't like that none of the bullets exited, and that none of them bled much at all from the entrance wound, but I was impressed with the internal damage they caused. I can't argue with the results, but I still prefer a bullet that will exit and leave a blood trail if the deer does get out of sight like the AccuBond. It could sure be a good option for populated areas where you didn't want an exit. I'm afraid they won't expand fast enough for me to like them on coyotes, but need to test them further before deciding. A deer has alot more body to expand in than a yote.
I bet I end up using the AccuBond, I use them in everything else and love the results.

6mm thats what I was thinking 2 days ago but now I am leaning AR

Tomorrow I will probably want a 338 lapua

nitis":bpuri851 said:
6mm thats what I was thinking 2 days ago but now I am leaning AR

Tomorrow I will probably want a 338 lapua

I am glad to hear I am not the only rifle flip flopper on here!!! I change my mind by the minute some days! Scotty

A 90 gr BT with a BC of .365 would be the ticket. :wink:

JD338

In the AR it would have to be a single shot with the 90gr. I think 77gr is as big as you can go and it feed in a mag.

nitis -

I can make it easy for you - split the difference :lol: 6.5 X 47 "LAPUA" ??
Mild recoil - outstanding ballistics - wide selection of bullets

Sportsmans has had some 700 ADL's on sale of late between I wanna say 349 - 399 in the scoped package.
I have yet to see anything that wouldn't be considered a big game caliber around here though.

I'm with you - my safe spews green when I open it - however it's hard to even overlook the tikka's in .223 w/ the 1:8 twist barrel. The 70gr VLD's would take care of any yote out there.

Back