I am thinking 243... input welcome

nitis

Handloader
Dec 20, 2008
Ok I got this darn gun money burning a hole in my pocket not enough to get alot of stuff but enough to get something good. I dont really need anything but well who really has self control.

I have been wanting a coyote hunting rifle with a little more pop than my 204. I am thinking a 243 with a berger or vmax in the 60-75 gr range would be sweet medicine

I found a place that is closing out the XHR and after the 100 dollar rebate the final price is under 500 bucks! SO I am thinking hard about this I handled one a while back it was a long action but I really liked the way it handles and balances.

I am also considering the VTR which I like the shorter barrel but not sure about the break.. Is it enough to keep me in the scope? If not I may as well stick with the XHR as it is a little lighter and I could always chop the barrel. This would also be a good buy about 50 more than the XHR.

One final rifle that keeps calling me is the savage combo the cheapie black one with the cheapo scope and non accutrigger. they can be had around these parts for 369. I like the 22" pipe and the detachable mag. I respect savage but I dont have anything but BIG GREEN in my safe as of now so I am not sure if I want to mix things up.

No matter what I get I will still have enough left over to restock another rifle and get one of those redfields for it too.

Ok let me throw one more log on the fire here I am also thinking XHR in 25.06 I mean the 25.06 does everything the 243 does only better right? It would be a dedicated coyote rig as I already load for another 25.06

darn you pop you got me distracted again you think I could find a light bullet that those remmys would like?

60 gr sierra? 70 gr BT? 55 gr BT? and of course

Hornady V-Max Bullets 243 Caliber, 6mm (243 Diameter) 58 Grain Boat Tail

1165556028.jpg

I think the 243 would be better for a dedicated coyote rig then a 2506, the 06 however gets the nod if the rifle is used more as a deer/coyote combo rifle...

The 243 does all you or anyone needs to do on coyotes. You can shoot the light 55s at 3900-4000fps and shoot like a laser to 400, or you can go up to the 70-75s which will easily get you out to 600, or you can step up to the 87g vmax with a BC of .400 and be good out to a cool 800 or so...

The 243 burns 10g less powder or little more on average, kicks less, shoots as flat or flatter then the 25-06 depending...still has enough umph for coyotes to as far as you could hit them with the bigger bullets, and if you wanna fun little rifle to bang steel to 1K, the 243 works well for that to with the 95g VLD or 105g AMAX, which both could also be used for coyotes.

Dont get me wrong, love the 2506, but the older I get, the less .25s appeal to me due to there BCs...The 6mm and 6.5 fall right below and above it and have very high BCs for there diameter. Id rather have a 6mm of some sort for coyotes, and a 6.5 of some sort for deer, and if I had to use 1 rifle for both, I'd rather use a 6.5 of some sort then a 2506.

You are a smart man by only owning Rems in your safe, nothing wrong with that at all. I love Rems as well, all I own currently besides 1 winchester model 70 in 264 that I just acquired. Savage is waaaaay down at the bottom for me. I do not even look or consider them when looking at new rifles anymore. Couple bad rifles out of a couple purchases was enough for me in past years. Woulda been nice to be "out of the box shootable" let alone under MOA with a couple hundred dollars worth of components and days at the range. Dont get me wrong, I've had a bad rem or win a tiem or two, but thats out of 10-15 rifles.

With what you listed, I would get the XHR first, Savage second, and VTR last. I hate muzzle brakes with a burning passion, and although I own two Savages, only one is a bolt and I don't really like it all that much.

If I couldn't find a 6mm, I'd go .243.

I concur with POP on that savage! VERY NICE!

I don't think you can go wrong with the .243 for yotes. I busted another one lastnight at over 300 yards with the 55BT @ 3962 fps. I love the ability to shoot 105s @1k or the 95 VLD on yotes/deer, or the 55 BT on yotes.

.243/6mm, the 6mm is about 100-150 fps faster. Both will splat the biggest of yotes.

That Savage 10 Predator Hunter has alot that i want on a Yote rig. Friend of mine has the 22-250 in that model and loves it. Just needs to be an AI!

Seems it is just a reamer away from a 6mm Rem or 243AI! That is a pretty sweet looking coyote/deer set up. They have some nice calibers in that rifle. Scotty

I see that Savage Predator model 10 comes in 22-250 with a 12 twist. Would be excellent coyote long range coyote medicine with the 60 grain bullets. They sure work great in my Encore 12 twist on prairie dogs to coyotes...if you were interested in another caliber with lots of potential.

I got a Rem 700 ADL 243 this summer brand new from Academy for $350. Threw a Nikon Prostaff 3-9x40 on it and BAM! awesome coyote rifle. Bought a box of Hornady custom 58gr Vmax's, took it to the range and the first 3 shots were about half a inch! Headed straight from the range to one of my spots, sat down and killed a big female at 350 yards about 10 mins after I parked. Next morning I took my dad out and hit one at 460 yards too far back but knocked him down. Hit him a second time and knocked him down again but he still got up and disappeared down in the coulee. I felt bad but Ill now shoot a little heavier bullet. As for savage rifles, I know they can be scary accurate out of the box, but I still cant get past the looks. Personal preference of course but Ill stick with my Remingtons and Rugers. Go 243 and never look back! Deadly on deer too.

There is no 85 ballistic tip. I shoot 85 tsx and gameking bthp in my 243. The 87 v-max shoots phenominal as well but I've heard they can really blow up a coyote.

I have always wanted to try out the 70gr BT! I would think that would be one awesome pill in a 243 for coyotes. Fast and flat.. Probably would be a nasty exit though. Scotty

:shock: Can't say I've ever been a Savage fan, but :shock: :shock:
Production .260 w/ 1:8 twist ? How far did you want to be shooting those yotes ?

Here is my only Savage and man, it can shoot when it is fed properly.

DSC_1161.jpg

I have had it for a long time and it has always been a great rifle. Kinda heavy, well, really heavy, but it has a great trigger on it and really shoots. It needs a better scope, but for now, it will still kill as far as I can see! Scotty

Well, anybody around here knows Im a .25 fan. Since you arent loooking for a 250-3000 like mine :grin: I'd go wth the 243. So many options, good balistics. The 243 AI is impressive, if you really think you need a little more.....but you didnt hear that from me.... :) The savage dont have the smoothness or feel of a Win. Featherweight but it shoots them liitle groups that are good for a guys confidence. That said, Id pick the one that comes up the best. Yotes usually dont stand around and wait for you to get settled in. CL

You know the 250 savage would be a nice little round I just want a low recoil round. I am going back and forth on this by the hour! I wish I had a action to build on

Thing is most of my coyotes are shot while calling and inside 200 yards so most anything I get is point and shoot. This is why I was considering a AR in 6x45. I just wanted a little bigger bullet to pop em a little harder. If I am knowing I will be having the chance at longer range I will grab the 25.06 or 257 wby

I kinda want soemthing that wont really blow me out of the scope does the break on the vtr in 243 do enough to make this happen?

I wish I could find one of those cheapie 700 adls in 223 but they dont seem to be out there then I would rebarrel it!

Back