.223 Rifles for Deer sized game

Iā€™m in the process of working up a deer/antelope load for my .220 Swift featuring the Sierra 62 grain Gameking. I think for smallish deer, pronghorn antelope and mouflon sheep, this load ought to be as Goldilocks put it, ā€œjust right.ā€

Iā€™m in the process of working up a deer/antelope load for my .220 Swift featuring the Sierra 62 grain Gameking. I think for smallish deer, pronghorn antelope and mouflon sheep, this load ought to be as Goldilocks put it, ā€œjust right.ā€

I saw you'd replied to this and thought "Oh here we go, Dale's going to preach the 30-06 and a 180 grain Partition..." ;)

Your 220 Swift should push those 62's pretty hard. Will it stabilize them okay?

Guy

I saw you'd replied to this and thought "Oh here we go, Dale's going to preach the 30-06 and a 180 grain Partition..." ;)

Your 220 Swift should push those 62's pretty hard. Will it stabilize them okay?

Guy
You know me very well Guy. Unfortunately Iā€™ve seen more than a few deer bite the dust from .223 and .22-250 rifles over the years. While I donā€™t necessarily consider them an ideal deer rifle, they are certainly adequate for the task.

My Swift has a Douglas barrel with a 1-12ā€ twist and stabilizes the 62ā€™s just fine. Iā€™ve only gotten to shoot a handful of them at the range and so far it looks promising. Canā€™t wait to play with it some more this spring.

While the .223/5.56 will work why not an AR10 for deer and a AR15 for coyotes, prairie dogs, and home defense?

That gets you two rifles. šŸ¤”šŸ˜

Back