.223 Rifles for Deer sized game

HodgemanAK

Beginner
Oct 23, 2020
I'm contemplating a new deer rifle. Since I've mostly archery hunted deer in TN. Would there be substantial cons to using a .223 with an appropriate big game bullet for deer? Years ago, such bullets were hard to find and I gave up on the .223 for deer after one significant failure involving a bullet that simply was too soft and a shooter (me) who wasn't savvy enough to know the difference.

It seems things are much better in the .223 projectile dept now, the deer here are small, and the ranges tend to be close. While I'd be tempted to get a 6.5 or 6mm, I also think I want to use this for coyotes and groundhogs- sort of a dual purpose deer/varmint rifle that used to be filled by a .243. I had thought about just using my 300, but seeing the results of another hunter's deer with a basketball sized hole made me think better of that. I've used the 300 plenty on small caribou- but I guess the results at 250-300 yards aren't nearly as catastrophic as 35 yards.

My guys shot quite a few with, as I recall 65 grain bonded soft points) Granted they were Injured but those that were on their feet were shot behind the shoulder and dropped.
When I was a kid in Alaska, this goes back to when Alaska was a territory, the native guys we knew really liked the .222. Best we ever learned was some post war preacher or bush doctor brought the only rifle he owned. He was apparently pretty effective with it. Made a reputation for himself. In his work dad saw them used a number of times on caribou and moose. He said the guys liked it because they could shoot a moose in the lungs, get one lung, moose would wander out of the water and lay down. When his head dropped they go up and finish him off.
Small white Tails with good bullets, it’ll work Going between the slats.

When I was a kid in Alaska, this goes back to when Alaska was a territory, the native guys we knew really liked the .222.
When I was up on the north slope, I never saw anything that wasn't a Mini-14 in .223REM. Those guys shot everything with them firing 55gr FMJs, but it wasn't always pretty. Some of the S.E. guys use them for deer- small deer at close range sorta like here.

My thought is a pretty nice bolt gun shooting something like the 64 BSB or AB for most everything down here.

When I was up on the north slope, I never saw anything that wasn't a Mini-14 in .223REM. Those guys shot everything with them firing 55gr FMJs, but it wasn't always pretty. Some of the S.E. guys use them for deer- small deer at close range sorta like here.

My thought is a pretty nice bolt gun shooting something like the 64 BSB or AB for most everything down here.
Similar for me the last 20 guiding on the peninsula, mostly ARs the guys figure they are good to go for anything.

If you can find some Nosler 64gr BSB , they flatten deer with no problems.
Yup 👍 I’ve never put one in a deer, but they smash 75-200 lb hogs no problem, so I can’t imagine them not hammering deer. And they show up at SPS pretty regularly. Ramshot TAC is a top contender for that combo. It’s what I settled on.

Last edited:
64 gr BSB is what I load for my daughter’s 22-250 and she has taken several deer with no issues. I have some loaded up for my 223 Rem but never hunted with them.

These heavy bullets at a reasonable range should do the trick on deer and I have no doubt will take coyotes, bobcats, etc. What I question is how fur friendly they will be if you intend to sell your pelts.

I've shot a couple behind the front shoulder , with a 222 and a 50 gr soft point bullet . I have no complaints . like always bullet placement is king .

We cannot legally use 22 cal on big game in Canada (nor fmj bullets).
While it may be effective, shot distance and placement is important.
Always felt that the larger caliber (.243/6mm) were meant for crossover work as originally designed, and more effective on deer...but again our deer here in the north are substantially larger than those down south...and than those on west coast.

These heavy bullets at a reasonable range should do the trick on deer and I have no doubt will take coyotes, bobcats, etc. What I question is how fur friendly they will be if you intend to sell your pelts.
Nothing here really has much of a pelt- coyotes are pretty thin furred here and there's not a market for groundhogs. Most of the time shooting them is just nuisance control type work. Lots of farmers here will give you a lease or permission if you promise to shoot every coyote and groundhog you see.

I will soon be working with the 73 Absolute hammer in my 22 Creed.

3WlOMRj.jpg

This is what she shoots like with the 95 Sierra matchking (non tipped) but I do not trust it on game.

1zjX9zX.jpg

I'm running a 70 gr AB in my 22 Nosler. It will work on deer and also works nicely on coyote, bobcat and woodchucks.

JD338
I've been running a Sierra 65 Grain Spitzer boat tail on Deer and Hogs and have had good success. I spoke with one of the Sierra Techs in regards to that bullet and I was told it is a hard bullet and will work well on Deer sized animals.

My experience has been that they are not too bad on the pelt so long as you stay off the big bones. If you hit a shoulder, it's going to be a mess

JD338

Nothing here really has much of a pelt- coyotes are pretty thin furred here and there's not a market for groundhogs. Most of the time shooting them is just nuisance control type work. Lots of farmers here will give you a lease or permission if you promise to shoot every coyote and groundhog you see.
Where is "here?" 🙂

60gr Nosler PT is the only bullet I've tried on deer in the 223. Did fine. Nephew has used the 64 Nosler with good results. Dan.

Back