Midways C.S.

35 Whelen

Handloader
Dec 22, 2011
This is NOT good news...... Have always had good luck with Porterfield. Not this time. I purchased 2 boxes of Speer 100gr BT 257 bullets to try on Coyotes on Friday.
Upon viewing the tracking yesterday, I clicked on "order details" and to my amazement it showed they had ( by mistake ) shipped 2 boxes of 87gr flat base bullets. So I called C.S. thinking they would take care of it..........
WoW: I spoke to a fella named Ben he quickly informed me; there was NOTHING, Midway could do to help !!! I asked for an explanation WHY, he says we 2 issues here ( both to protect themselves) #1 they shipped them via USPS and he claimed they couldn't stop the order or have it returned........ok, so of course I suggested return label. He was ready for that one; he informed me Larry has a policy now on bullets; they now are "NON RETURNABLE" Item !!!! So I asked; What I was supposed to do with them??? Ben abruptly replied " what ever you want to" then added: Unless there is anything else, have a nice remainder of your weekend.
I was smoking mad, but within a few seconds before I could really absorb all this, he disconnected us.....
What the hell has happened to Larry's once great company???
I spend $100's of dollars with them, have been with them over 20 years, used to spend thousands a year few years back.
They treated me like a fly by nite scumbag placing his first order with Midway!
I am frankly dumbfounded
E

That is a good idea Mike. I will try that approach. I got a bad feeling their system is against us now, not sure how many items are now non- returnable but, if they are you are whipped before you get started I think. If nothing comes of it, I think I will just wash my hands of Larry's outfit as I don't do business with folks that operate in this manner.
E

I bought some rifle bullet blems from them a few years back that are labled as Mid Way brand and when I asked who manufactured them the wouldn't respond. I had mention I needed to get loading info for the bullets and didn't want to damage my rifle, still got no response but they took all of the blems that were for sale off the web page and didn't offer any for several months after.
I haven't bought anything from them since.

Sorry to hear of your experience with their costumer service. I’ve dealt twice with them and had no issue at all. I’m thinking Ben needs some time behind the woodshed. There is no mention of bullets being nonreturnable in their policy.

I concur about a written complaint, that gives you a paper trail. If you bought X and paid for X, they need to make good by sending you X, not Y, not Z. If they refuse, then you can, should you wish, address the matter to the Attorney General of Missouri; there is a link on the AG's website for consumer complaints. I can send it to you, if you like.

No, that isn't extreme. Personally, I am very skiddish about using Midway because I've had CS issues with them in the past, and because most of the time, I can find better value elsewhere. I am by no means trying to minimize the efforts the Potterfield clan have made for supporting 2A, hunting, and shooting sports. That is not what I'm getting at. This is a company, not just a person or a family; if they won't hold themselves accountable, they need to be held accountable.

I concur about a written complaint, that gives you a paper trail. If you bought X and paid for X, they need to make good by sending you X, not Y, not Z. If they refuse, then you can, should you wish, address the matter to the Attorney General of Missouri; there is a link on the AG's website for consumer complaints. I can send it to you, if you like.

No, that isn't extreme. Personally, I am very skiddish about using Midway because I've had CS issues with them in the past, and because most of the time, I can find better value elsewhere. I am by no means trying to minimize the efforts the Potterfield clan have made for supporting 2A, hunting, and shooting sports. That is not what I'm getting at. This is a company, not just a person or a family; if they won't hold themselves accountable, they need to be held accountable.
It would become apparent that Ben's days are numbered.

JD338

They’ve always been great, hopefully they’ll stand tall and make it right. Cabela’s has a no return policy on tree stands, and when FedEx delivered it the box was destroyed and pieces were missing. The first person was an a$$ and quoted me the no returns on tree stands policy. I finally got someone willing to listen and they got in touch with someone at my “local” store and let me take it back and they had a new one pulled from stock and tagged for me when I got there. I think you should write a complaint email, and if you don’t hear back, make another call and maybe you’ll get someone who understands better.

I’ve stopped using Midway, a couple of back to back customer service issues on phone calls. Seems to me they are rapidly following Cabelas/Bass pro down the trail of Mediocrity. I would guess Larry is not at his desk any longer.

I've been fortunate enough not to have had any issues with Midway but if I was in your situation, I would definitely send an email complaint describing the problem then call again requesting replacement, or credit. When things like this happen, it hurts their business. Hopefully it will be corrected properly. Dan.

I usually find better deals elsewhere but have been known to order from them. Customer Service has been great so far.

If this was a new company policy I would be mad at the Board Of Directors. If not then young Ben needs to be taken in to the alley.

I would definitely follow up with a paper or electronic missive to the company.

Vince

Last edited:
That stinks! I order from midway quite regularly. Even though their prices are usually higher than other places, I like the quick shipping and have always had great experience dealing with customer service. Hopefully this is Ben issue and nothing more! If this is a new policy well that’s pretty crappy of them.

UPDATE!!!
I am now back peddling! I called an hour ago, asked to speak to a CS Supervisor; He politely listened to my story. When I got to the part about bullets being a " non returnable item"
He stopped me and said " that isn't correct" he then told me how to simply go around anymore foolishness and they have issued a FULL refund back to my CC. He also explained to my how to simply go into my account and get print out a return label, and said the refund will be issued the same day they receive the bullets at their RMA center in Maryland!!
So I am now a happy camper, however I think
I will wait for some Nosler 85gr BT Varmints to show up on SPS as blems. I know those work fine! But Larry did come thru.....
E

UPDATE!!!
I am now back peddling! I called an hour ago, asked to speak to a CS Supervisor; He politely listened to my story. When I got to the part about bullets being a " non returnable item"
He stopped me and said " that isn't correct" he then told me how to simply go around anymore foolishness and they have issued a FULL refund back to my CC. He also explained to my how to simply go into my account and get print out a return label, and said the refund will be issued the same day they receive the bullets at their RMA center in Maryland!!
So I am now a happy camper, however I think
I will wait for some Nosler 85gr BT Varmints to show up on SPS as blems. I know those work fine! But Larry did come thru.....
E
Alls well that ends well.
As for Ben, he needs to be reassigned to a position that doesn't allow him customer service decision making until he can comprehend the meaning of customer service and how poor decisions can have a negative impact on the bottom line.

JD338

Last edited:
Back