I guess if you don't know you should ask>

sask boy

Ammo Smith
Nov 4, 2007
Could I get someone to explain to me in layman's terms what a zero stop is on a Scope :oops:? I have heard them mentioned many times but I have never seen one to my knowledge.

Blessings,
Dan

sask boy":1lmxn87a said:
Could I get someone to explain to me in layman's terms what a zero stop is on a Scope :oops:? I have heard them mentioned many times but I have never seen one to my knowledge.

Blessings,
Dan

When you adjust up to make a longer hit you merely turn the turret back till it stops at the zero you've adjusted.

You can build a spacer that goes under the turret to prevent it from going down to the next zero that does the same thing on a non-zero stop scope. I've built plenty of them for my scopes.

One time I was counting the clicks available in my scope prior to a hunting trip to see how many I had until I maxed it out and didn't go all the way back down to my zero. It was a Leupold so it had 60 clicks or 15 MOA per revolution. I was a full revolution high when I went hunting. I shot at a cow elk at 400yds twice before I figured out what I did. From a 300yds zero I should have been up 8 clicks or roughly 8" for a 400yd zero. 60 clicks was about 60" so I was shooting about 52" high. Luckily the cow stood there and let me fix it and shoot her. That is why I build the spacers to go under the turrets for my scopes now.

There great if you dial a lot. If you do, sooner or later you'll get lost on the dial. When you do all you need to do is dial back to the stop and find your zero. The zero lock CDS dials that are new on the VX6 do that and require pushing an unlock button to rotate the dial and when you dial back to zero it clicks and locks. You don't even have to look at it.

Scott

Back