I haven't seen my rifle for 2 yrs.

Buddy,
I'd ask the gunsmith who shipped it to them to provide you with a copy of the shipping receipt, postal receipt or something. Either way, this smells really bad. I know my gunsmith keeps all the paperwork associated with firearms entering or leaving his shop, even shipping receipts and invoices for the customers. Surely he got a tracking number or insured the shipment, that would be proof.

I would think Remington would not knowingly mislead you. However, if your smith shipped the rifle when he said he did, there may be a problem at Remington they aren't aware of. If it is your smith's fault, you might want to reconsider his services. If it is Remington's problem, and you uncover a problem they aren't aware of, you might be saving your fellow shooters a lot of grief.

Either way, I'd check into it, if I were you.

I'm with dphillips on this one. Take the letter to your smith and have him provide you with the shipping documents. It shouldn't be a problem to go back throuh the shipper (UPS, Fed X etc) to get this information and if he did ship it 2 yrs ago, he will want to help you.
If he can't produce, then the smith should compensate you for the time lost.

JD338

Well, I just got thru talking with my gunsmith and he said he'd look into it with Remington. I did request those items that dphilips said I should get from my gunsmith and he said it will take some time to get them since he gave them to his CPA for year end tax purposes. I don't know if he's giving me the run around, I'll see in a couple days when and if he'll fax them over to me.

Buddy,

You could also go back to Remmington and ask them to provide you with the shipping carrier any waybill #. You can than go to the carrier and get the shipping details shch as date shipped. UPS and Fed X offers one to track waybill #'s online so it would be failrly easy for you to do.

JD338

Unfortunateley Remington doesn't retain shipping information on incoming firearms. Remington will provide me with the shipping information once they send it out.
Got all that from the Remington rep. after requesting the airway bill#

DPhillips":3efexgmv said:
Buddy,
I'd ask the gunsmith who shipped it to them to provide you with a copy of the shipping receipt, postal receipt or something. Either way, this smells really bad.

+1

I'm thinking that it is starting to look a liitle bad for my gunsmith. I called him about the shipping receipts that he said he would look for and he said that he doesn't have any copies for that year he sent out my rifle. Plus a few other things when I talked with him before that's making me wonder, i.e. when he told me that Reminton is finally sending my rifle back and a couple days later I get an email from Remington saying they had just received it. I don't know. I'll just be happy when I get my Ultra back and all this is behind me.

You might want to make sure that there are no monies due once you get the rifle back from Remington. It sounds like this gunsmith is a peice of work!
Good luck Buddy and let us know how you make out.

JD338

Earlier this year my Dad sent a 504-hb back to remington for a blueing job. It took two weeks.

Sounds fishy to me, about 2 years ago, I sent my 300 Ultra mag back to
Remington to have the bolt checked, as it did not reseat the sear as I wanted.

Remington fixed it as I wanted and returned it within two weeks.

If what Remington's saying is true. It took two weeks for them to repair and send my Ultra back. Yes, I just got it from my gunsmith today! YAHOO, it's a feeling like finding a long lost brother, well, I don't have a long lost brother (I hope) but you get the gist. Anyway, my gunsmith said it was repaired under warranty and I don't have to pay anything. :grin:

Glad to hear you got it back. You should still ask the gunsmith for a couple boxes of ammo. Its the least he can do to compensate you .
Good luck with your "new" rifle this comming season.

JD338

Sounds to me like Remington explained themselves, putting the ball in the Gunsmith's court, and he was unable to respond. What probaly happened was that Remington recieved alot of heat from sources on high, such as Mr. Scovill, and then when they couldn't find said rifle they made an inquiry to the gunsmith. The gunsmith probably sent your rifle in immediately, Remington fixed it promptly, and you now have your rifle back. Hopefully you and your rifle are now slinging .308 pills downrange and making single ragged holes 8)

Yep, your assumption sounds reasonable and probably is right on the money. Anyway, haven't slapped on my 8X leupold on my rifle to see if it still shoots a ragged hole. It's raining and gusty right now and have been busy doing other things. Called the gunsmith about getting compensated with some ammo, he said that he'd like to send me some to keep things straight between us. The problem is with shipping, said he'd look into it and get back to me. Am not really expecting much out of it since he's been saying he'll call me about my rifle with info for the last 2 years and never called. Compensated or not, I'm just happy to get my rifle back.

Anybody know which other gun manufacturer(s) have better service than

Remington? As I don't think Iwant any more Remington rifles.[/quote]

I am glad you posted this. I was about to send Remington my Nylon 66 to get checked over and have the springs changed. I will not be sending it in I will just order the parts myself. IMHO I love Savage. I bought one of their rifles and have not had any serious problems with the rifle. Yes I understand the rifles they make do not cost alot but They have a good selection of Left handed models. I was going to purchase a Remington but the price and the choice of calibers made me choose Savage.

i must admit that my savage 110 ejector pin in the bolt broke last friday. I am leaving on the 21st of this month for a caribou hunt and all of the local gunsmiths told me i was out of luck. I called savage and told them my plight. I live about 60 miles from the factory and they said to bring it to the guard shack and fill out the paper work and they would have it to me in time. I ran down on monday and they UPS'd it to my door for thursday and was able to shoot friday. No charge, all they asked is for a couple of pics of my son, father and i with nice bou's with the savage in the pics! :grin: :grin:

stinky":15buzegd said:
i must admit that my savage 110 ejector pin in the bolt broke last friday. I am leaving on the 21st of this month for a caribou hunt and all of the local gunsmiths told me i was out of luck. I called savage and told them my plight. I live about 60 miles from the factory and they said to bring it to the guard shack and fill out the paper work and they would have it to me in time. I ran down on monday and they UPS'd it to my door for thursday and was able to shoot friday. No charge, all they asked is for a couple of pics of my son, father and i with nice bou's with the savage in the pics! :grin: :grin:

Thats pretty good customer service!
Good luck on your caribou hunt. Where ar eyou going and who is your outfitter?

JD338

jd i'm taking my father and my 12 yo son. We are leaving out of Kuujjuag and taking a float plane 200-300 mi WNW of there with Safari Nordik. We drive up this comming Sunday to Montreal and do all of our flying on Monday. Fish and hunt Tues through Sat. Return again on Sunday. Come Monday I hope to have a full report on the trip as well as my AB load Proformance!!!

Back