I Just Can't Leave It Alone :)

nvbroncrider":2plvh88m said:
You brought it up! So then we would have two famous Bell's. Kilimajaro Bell and ???

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: Now that is funny and I should keep somethings to myself.

Well, call me TINKER BELL, because it did not shoot well. Will free float it and if that does not work, guess what, it is going to the smith to be re-barrel and the whole works done to the action and so on. My M48 TGR 7mm08 I was sighting in for hunting with my hunting load all five touched and I am not settling for less with the Big 8

bullet":3nwp9zn0 said:
I suspect because of the way the barrel was manufacture and contoured that there will not be much difference at all if any and could be worse. Those magnum barrels were actually made to be bedded with the intent of using a pressure point. Time will tell.

I'm very curious as to how this ends up in the long run.

I had a Rem 700 LSS in 7mm Mag that I bought off a friend. He'd had the action bedded, barrel free floated and a trigger job. After putting it side by side with my other 700, I also realized he'd had the LOP cut by at least an inch to just over 12".

In order to get it back to a more reasonable LOP for my height, I bought one of the B&C medalists with a similar chasis system to the hogue. Those stocks come with a pair of pressure pads at the end that can be ground down if you want it floated.

I figured I'd shoot it first with the pressure point in, as I could always remove it.

My very early impression, aside from it moving my POI 5.5" off, is that it shoots better with the pads on. I need more trigger time, but at least with my 700, I'm thinking free floating that 26" tube isn't the best option.

I agree, but I think I got another problem that is starting to develop. It will shoot whether in the Wood stock with pressure point or full bedded or free floated and also in the Hogue with the pressure point, it will put two fairly close then throw two or the next three. Then the next group will be a 3 to 3 1/2" group with none close then the next group it wil put maybe three close then throw three more. It is getting worse and I think the throat is all but gone and fast eroding. Now I have put only 90 rounds down the tube not counting the 15 rounds today.

I am facing the reality that it needs to be rebarreled, the acton trued and bedded in a good stock. I love the trigger and would not change it. Anyway, this hunting season with this Big 8 is over. I will use a bore scope to verify my suspicion, but after all these years of shooting I don't think I am wrong.

FOTIS":2poh0366 said:
BUt is shot great in the original stock no?

The reason I fully bedded the stock was the problem I mentioned above has started with my groups when using the stock in its original form. I was thinking that the recoil had finally made things a little loose in the bedding area. Well, whether I was shooting it in the original form or the fully bedded forum or the finally free floated form or in this new Hogue, the problem I mention above still persisted.

I have been around to many guns and have actually shot out throats to know the signs and this one has the signs big time. I will put a bore scope down by Monday or Tuesday of this coming week, but I will not be surprised at my diagnosis being right.

I believe I can turn a sow's ear into a silk purse and a build will do just that. Got to start all over, but that is life.

I will sit down with my friend and also his smith that is extremely good (he cost a lot) and work through barrel make, contour, twist and length, along with the action trued, stock and bedding options. I will keep my trigger, I really love it. I will not do this until January when the fall hunting and competition season is over and the smith begins to have more time. When I go to South Louisiana for my January hunt south of Baton Rouge, we will have our meeting. Until then, I will use my 7mm-08 since it shoots so well and I have total confidence in my M48 TGR and shot placement.

You do not think the switch from a fixed power Leupold to a variable Burris had anything to do with the issue?

Wasn't it unfired before Fotis got it? If so that isn't many rounds for it to go south. I'm wondering if it isn't a scope issue unless you can feel the rough throat with a cleaning patch.

It's not the scope because I have had two different ones on it and they did fine and shot fine on another rifle plus tracking extremely well when I move point of impact. If the bore scope does not show an eroded throat, then the only thing I can chalk it up to is the front and rear sights on the barrel.

Eroded throat? How can that be Mike?

I only fired about 20 shots max. How many did you fire?

You mean the sights changing harmonics?

I could not speak to this rifle, but will only say, sometimes you just have to call a pig and pig, and move on.

It's one of the joys of our hobby. Resale is usually fairly high, so you can sell the rifle and just move on to the next iteration and see if you have better luck.

:)

Back