I Just Can't Leave It Alone :)

bullet

Handloader
Dec 26, 2007
Well, I have decide to take a different direction with my 8mm Rem Mag.

Some of you might remember one of my Ruger 30-06 wood blued Hawkeyes (yes there was more than one) and I had all kinds fo trouble with getting it to shoot, even pillar bedded it and it would not shoot then I bought a Hogue Over Mold stock with full bed aluminum block in green? Here is a picture of it in green and the Hogue stock got the 30-06 ruger shooting good.

file-39.jpg

file-38.jpg

Well, I do not want to damage my wood on some of my hunts that are usually rough on my guns. I have decided to give it a try and bought a Hogue Over Mold long action full bed aluminum block stock in the same color as the one for my 30-06 and it should be here sometime the middle of next week. Here are pictures from the Hogue site but it is in gray. Also, the same Burris that was on the 30-06 is now on the 8mm Rem Mag because I put the FX II 6x36mm LR Duplex Leupold on my 7mm08 M48 TGR because my 6 power fixed Weaver gave up the ghost and will not adjust windage.

Beddings1.jpg

70003L1.jpg

70003L_021.jpg

Bolt20ActionRifles1.jpg

I am loaded and ready. I have 20 loads four 5 shot groups all with 220gr Sierra SBT, 83grs IMR7828, Rem brass, Rem 9 1/2M primers all trimed to the same length and the only difference is that two 5 shot groups have necks turned and two 5 shot groups don't. Want to see if it makes much difference. Run out should be much less since I am not using the RCBS seating die but a new Hornady Custom Grade new demension die set. :)

Well, my Hogue OverMold full bed block stock came in today. First, I decided to go with black instead of green and I think it looks good. Second, I had an option to full bed the rifle in the stock or make adjustments and free float it, but I decided to go with the full bedding job in light of the fact that the factory magnum barrel is thin and tapers down to muzzle quit a bit. Third, tomorrow morning will be the test to see if it stays fully bedded or I free float it.

Here are some pictures of my Remington 700 8mm Rem Mag in the Hogue stock.

file-40.jpg

file-41.jpg

file-42.jpg

file-43.jpg

file-44.jpg

file-45.jpg

file-47.jpg

file-48.jpg

file-49.jpg

file-51.jpg

file-52.jpg

The hogue stocks are awesome. For the money they really can't be beat. Comfortable, always a grip, rugged. From the bench they shoot like a much more expensive benchrest stock. If they have any negative aspect it might be in the weight. I'm used to carrying heavy magnum rifles so that wasn't an issue.

Can not wait to see how she does free-floated.

FOTIS":f2per2q3 said:
Can not wait to see how she does free-floated.

I suspect because of the way the barrel was manufacture and contoured that there will not be much difference at all if any and could be worse. Those magnum barrels were actually made to be bedded with the intent of using a pressure point. Time will tell.

I had the Jerry and his gunsmith (does fabulous work building comp rifles) advise me to wait and see how this one shoots. They said, "having a 24" barrel producing the velocities you are producing while holding down weight and handles better in tight spots than a 28" barrel will, plus good accuracy, you would be hard pressed to find a better killing tool than this 8mm Rem Mag Remington 700." So, I have not changed my mine, but have not made up my mind yet either. I will see how well it shoots and also how well it reaches out there and kills game this year, then I will decide if it is worth the big bucks to build one.

It will be interesting Mike. There is enough "meat" on that 8 mag to go free floated.

Well, went ahead and free floated the wood stock this weekend to see how it would shoot and it gave me flyers every first and fourth bullet, so I will see how it turns out but I don't have much faith in free floating it at this time. If it shoots 3/4" or /1/2" and under, I ain't doing a thing except go hunting with it, because at this time I am tired of playing with it.

bullet":2dlvuxsi said:
....... If it shoots 3/4" or /1/2" and under, I ain't doing a thing except go hunting with it, because at this time I am tired of playing with it.

I refuse to believe that! You tinker too much! :grin:

FOTIS":1jacfrzc said:
bullet":1jacfrzc said:
....... If it shoots 3/4" or /1/2" and under, I ain't doing a thing except go hunting with it, because at this time I am tired of playing with it.

I refuse to believe that! You tinker too much! :grin:

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :wink:

Hope it works out for ya Mike. I free floated my 8mm and it shoots very accurate. At what inch lbs did you torque the action screws in the wood stock?

Bill

I torqued them to feel as I have all my life. I am leaving my sights on the barrel and that will play a part in the wave that moves up and down the barrel from the muzzle to the receiver. I will find what I want, but not going to use the wood stock and if this does not do it I am left with a build. I have shot many rifles and have a pretty good feel for this one after experimenting with it through load work and the bedding. On top of that it could us a new crown job due to rust that was at the lip of the muzzle.

bullet":2ve7xtlj said:
I torqued them to feel as I have all my life. I am leaving my sights on the barrel and that will play a part in the wave that moves up and down the barrel from the muzzle to the receiver. I will find what I want, but not going to use the wood stock and if this does not do it I am left with a build. I have shot many rifles and have a pretty good feel for this one after experimenting with it through load work and the bedding. On top of that it could us a new crown job due to rust that was at the lip of the muzzle.

I've torqued them to feel as well, some times it made no difference and others it caused poor groups. I have since learned feel does not trump actual torque values so I always torque to spec, this way I know and can rule that out.

I'm sure you will find what you want one way or another but in the mean time it gives a guy something to tinker with.

Bill

OU812":3u5301th said:
bullet":3u5301th said:

I've torqued them to feel as well, some times it made no difference and others it caused poor groups. I have since learned feel does not trump actual torque values so I always torque to spec, this way I know and can rule that out.

I'm sure you will find what you want one way or another but in the mean time it gives a guy something to tinker with.

Bill

Man, what is this tinker stuff :shock: :grin: If you and FOTIS don't stop using that word it will end up sticking to me and I don't want to be called Tinker Bell :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

DrMike":2ut7ltf6 said:
Tinker Bell? Now, that could be scary, Mike! :shock:

Why don't we just forget it and move on and talk about load work and shooting. 8)

Back