Older eyes are still hanging on.

ShadeTree

Handloader
Mar 6, 2017
This load shot well in my Sauer so tried it in my 7600. Shot it 3 different times. Once with the factory sights, that put 3 at around 1 3/8", and 4 shot was just over 1.75" at 100 yds. Was actually happy enough with that because the factory sights were blurry for me.

Got a Skinner Lo-Pro, with that it put 3 shots just under an inch, and 4 shot was 1 5/8". Better all the way around and much quicker for me to line up, but I goofed and didn't check my rifle prior and here my 7600 is after they changed to the non windage adjustable front sight, and the Lo-Pro is not windage adjustable, which I did know that. My fault for not checking my rifle.

Sent that back and paid the difference for a Skinner Express. The express sight ends up sitting at a good spot for my eyes. Took a couple shots to sight it in at 50 yds then moved to a 100 yd target. Put 3 just under 3/4" and 4 shot is just under 1.25". Probably about as good as I can do anymore. The rifle likes this load and is consistent about it. No load development, just loaded them up like the Sauer except at book length.

Nice to have a universal load like that. Looks like the peep is working for you.

Nice to have a universal load like that. Looks like the peep is working for you.
Don't know if they all will like them, didn't get around to testing them in all the -06's yet, but it's nice that 2 of them do.......I got a small boat load of those Sierra 150's. Lol. Least I know they got a home with 2 of them.

I love it when a rifle shoots well with a peep sight. It’s been awhile since I’ve shot it but my Model 71 in .348 will hold about 1 1/4 inches at 100 off the bench with a peep.
That's awesome. Love it when those old rifles shoot better than most people ever thought they could. I can't begin to pick up that red circle on that target at 100 yds.......not sure if I could've when I was 18 or not, 100 yds is getting out there to pick up stuff like that. That was just for a reference for POI after getting it sighted in at 50. I just line up with center of paper.

Shade, That is good shooting with a peep at 100 yards, keep in mind you are going to be shooting minute of deer, hellava bigger target.
I miss those rifles, my gramps had one in .244 Remington with 1:12 twist.

That's good shooting Jeff and envy your younger eyes and ability. Hope you tag a deer with it. Dan.

I’m impressed. I often shoot a rifle with irons or a peep when I go to the range. it’s easier now that I had the surgery on my shooting eye. I think, particularly with position shooting it helps we shoot scoped rifles better. I don’t shoot the Irons or peeps as well as you do but it sure has convinced me to take something to the range without a scope when ever I go.

That's some great shooting Jeff!
The peep sight looks great and is working well for you.

JD338

Thanks fella's. Shooting rifles in any format just doesn't get old. I do get an added sense of satisfaction when I manage to accomplish respectable results with the simplistic nature of using iron sights.

This rifle was a rescue rifle that I tore completely apart including the bolt and trigger group parts, and spent a good amount of time cleaning up. So I've got some skin in the game with it. The little bit I've shot it total I've liked it ever since. I'd like to put its first notch in its belt if possible this yr with hopefully years more to come.

Back