I Just Can't Leave It Alone :)

I just put the scope on it and found the problem!!!! Just beyond the crown inside the muzzle for a 1/4" down the barrel one side about 1/3 of the way around the inside of the muzzle it had rusted and pitted very badly and the other side of the muzzle is not that way, but on on that side of the crown it is rusted all the way over the crown into the beginning of the muzzle. l would have to loose at least a 1/2" of muzzle and then have it recrowned. I wondered why I kept getting a lot of blue copper residue when only firing 15 to 20 rounds, because the rest of the inside of the barrel is really rough with rust pits at different places up and down the bore even some right at the throat and the chamber has very small rust pits. The barrel will have to go, because I am not convince any work on the muzzle will be worth the expense of trying to get it to work. I believe this is why I was never able to get this rifle to shoot like I have all my other rifles.

bullet":xyr472uk said:
then the only thing I can chalk it up to is the front and rear sights on the barrel.

What? Wasn't the front and rear sights on the barrel when it was shooting good groups like these?

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=20153

I'm quite certain I saw pictures of the rifle with the sights on it at that time.

OU812":2ytekupj said:
bullet":2ytekupj said:
then the only thing I can chalk it up to is the front and rear sights on the barrel.

What? Wasn't the front and rear sights on the barrel when it was shooting good groups like these?

I'm quite certain I saw pictures of the rifle with the sights on it at that time.

They were, I found the problem

bullet":3odjkufs said:
OU812":3odjkufs said:
bullet":3odjkufs said:

They were, I found the problem

I read your find but how did it shoot so well in those group pictures and all the sudden go to heck? I'm guessing the rust and pitting was always there so why the problems now with groups, don't make sense to me?

Just trying to learn something new.

I always posted the best groups that would happen every other group or so, hoping I could find a way to make it consistent like all the other factory rifles I have been able to get to shoot. But even its best is no where near groups I am used to getting.

IdahoCTD":l33noyte said:
Too bad you weren't close. I'd recrown it for free just to see if it fixed it.

That is a very nice offer. This is sad to say (in a great way) but I'm not astounded in the slightest at the persons on this sites generosity and over all support of each other. Most sites it's kind of surprising when it happens but not here.

All it would cost is shipping and shipping is certainly cheaper than a new barrel.

bullet":15ad1bpt said:
I always posted the best groups that would happen every other group or so, hoping I could find a way to make it consistent like all the other factory rifles I have been able to get to shoot. But even its best is no where near groups I am used to getting.

Well the groups you posted for any hunting purposes would get the job done in fine fashion, anything smaller would not make a tinkers damn unless we are talking loooooooooooooooong range shooting. Consistency is key.

So why do you think the rust and pits are allowing some great groups on certain days and some bad groups on others? Barrel cleanliness?

OU812":gidgjnkg said:
IdahoCTD":gidgjnkg said:
Too bad you weren't close. I'd recrown it for free just to see if it fixed it.

That is a very nice offer. This is sad to say (in a great way) but I'm not astounded in the slightest at the persons on this sites generosity and over all support of each other. Most sites it's kind of surprising when it happens but not here.

All it would cost is shipping and shipping is certainly cheaper than a new barrel.

I don't have a FFL or I'd do it.

Yeah, I wish I was close so we could try that. I am going to have to rebarrel, rework and I will be back in the not to distant future with an 8mm Rem mag that will shoot like I want it to. I really like the Big 8 cartridge and I will not abandon it.

FOTIS":2onft3b2 said:
I got it unfired and barely shot it.

Does seem odd the rust and pits are that bad. Maybe it came from the factory messed up?

Th rifle was built in 1978 or so. It sat unfired in someone's house till I got it.

I would hit it with 0000 steel wool JB bore and Kroil Worth a try.

Some of the pits are to deep, just going to use the action and build a new one and that is cool.

I'd snatch that Bartlein if it is close enough to the contour your looking for. Most of the cut rifled barrel manufacturers don't care if you do slight recontours. It would save you lots of wait time and they make one of the better barrels.

Well, I would if it was not that time of year where I have to back off so Nancy can save for our Kids and grandkids Christmas. I back off of my spending from about the end of Oct to after the first of the year, Nancy and I have that agreement. She lets me spend a lot on guns so I let her have all my extra 2 months before Christmas. I will not be able to start my build until after the first of the year.

OU812":1rwc0q3r said:
bullet":1rwc0q3r said:
Consistency is key.

So why do you think the rust and pits are allowing some great groups on certain days and some bad groups on others? Barrel cleanliness?

Well at first the pits were full of stuff and after cleaning every 20 rounds they became more exposed and grabbed larger chuncks of copper and carbon fouling and until full especailly at the muzzle where one side of the bullet would be grabbed by the rough pitted side of the muzzle keeping each bullet from leaving the same way. After a while it would fill and the groups would tighten at least for the first two or three rounds and then some of the copper would exit the pits and it started all over again.

Back