I know i said I would never,(PICS UP!!!)

I think the M4 is an excellent rifle, and a carefully assembled AR-15 cannot be rivaled by any other semi auto platform as far as a perfect blend of accuracy, damage, rifle and ammo weight, and parts compatibility.

As far as components are concerned, a geissele trigger, a magpul MOE stock, a tangodown grip, a Norgon ambi catch, PRI gas buster charging handle (right handed only) and an FNH BCG if you can find one will set you up. Match the optic and barrel length to the task. If you haven't picked a handguard I would look at either of the VTAC rails. The old one is made by JP enterprises and the newer one is made by troy.

The biggest thing with jamming on the AR platform is keeping your magazine feed lips in good shape. Pmags are excellent and brownells mags are cheap and are available by the case. The magazine is the most important part for proper and consistent functioning for a semi auto AR. Buffer weight and gas tube length become more important in full auto.

You are going to have a sweet rifle. They are really the swiss army knife of rifles.

The AR-15 is a handy platform. I put together a few ARs a couple years ago. Had a blast doing it. And, it is fun to go shoot them. Since then, I have purchased a LaRue Tacitcal PredatAR in 5.56 and one in 7.62. They are amazingly accurate and reliable. I hunt with them and carry the 5.56 in my truck or Jeep while on the ranch. We run about 400 head of hair sheep. (Coyotes like hair sheep.) I have killed literally hundreds of hogs from a helicopter with a 5.56. Popped a few coyotes as well.

Just starting to reload. So, I will have another way to enjoy these rifles.

Man, there are so many options for these things! This is gonna be worse than my Harley build!

ScreaminEagle":1jwrj9xz said:
Man, there are so many options for these things! This is gonna be worse than my Harley build!
Endless options. I found the same thing with my Jeep. Boils down to building it to suit your needs.

Enjoy!!!!

I have 2 ARs. One is has a Del-Ton upper. It is nothing special. It goes bang when I pull the trigger and that is all I care about. I have a little Bushnell red dot on it and it is fun to shoot. My other is s 6.5 Grendel with a 16" Alexander Arms barrel. I build the upper myself along with piecing the lower together. The best thing I did was spend the money and put a Timney trigger in it this past winter. I have not hunted with it, but is likes to shoot 107gr bullets into small groups. They are fun. I would love to build a .458SOCOM someday but for now, I have other things on the wish list.

I've been thinking about this thread and what I posted here...

It seems to me that the way I said what I said, it could be viewed in a way that makes it seem like I have an "unfavorable view" of AR's for hunting...thats not true...I may well be deer hunting with mine this year...close range, from a ground blind...

To clarify what I said about my AR...it is not set up for hunting, I never intended to use it for hunting...but things change when some idiot drills a hole through the barrel of your favorite deer rifle, lol.

A properly set up AR is about as good as it gets for varmints like coyotes, Pdogs, hogs, etc....18-20" barrel, 1 in 8" twist, 64-75 grain bullets will even put in the running as a deer rifle.

My biggest complaint about hunting with them is that they just don't carry very good in the hunting fields...and I just don't feel "right" while hunting with an AR in a 1,2, or 3 point sling...but thats just me, I have no issue with them being used for hunting of any type....no problem whatsoever...thats just not what mine is for (but will work in a pinch)

I also have an Armalight AR10 by the way...no way I'm hunting with that thing though...it weighs a ton...24" stainless, heavy barrel.

Ridgerunner665":fvza93x4 said:

It seems to me that the way I said what I said, it could be viewed in a way that makes it seem like I have an "unfavorable view" of AR's for hunting...thats not true...I may well be deer hunting with mine this year...close range, from a ground blind...

To clarify what I said about my AR...it is not set up for hunting, I never intended to use it for hunting...but things change when some idiot drills a hole through the barrel of your favorite deer rifle, lol.

A properly set up AR is about as good as it gets for varmints like coyotes, Pdogs, hogs, etc....18-20" barrel, 1 in 8" twist, 64-75 grain bullets will even put in the running as a deer rifle.

My biggest complaint about hunting with them is that they just don't carry very good in the hunting fields...and I just don't feel "right" while hunting with an AR in a 1,2, or 3 point sling...but thats just me, I have no issue with them being used for hunting of any type....no problem whatsoever...thats just not what mine is for (but will work in a pinch)

I also have an Armalight AR10 by the way...no way I'm hunting with that thing though...it weighs a ton...24" stainless, heavy barrel.

I think that with the RIGHT people using them, they are a very capable hunting tool. With that being said, I'd prefer that the woods arent full of idiots walking around with 30rd magged semi-autos. You arent allowed to use semi-auto rifles for hunting in PA and I'm fine with that. Don't take this the wrong way. There are responsible people out there that could hunt the rest of their lives with an ar and never have a problem. I'm worried about the idiots that would want to dump a clip every time they see something. I guess I dont know how to explain it very well. I've just seen some messed up stuff by so-called hunters! I'm paranoid enough already.

ScreaminEagle":rlb1eft2 said:
Ridgerunner665":rlb1eft2 said:

I think that with the RIGHT people using them, they are a very capable hunting tool. With that being said, I'd prefer that the woods arent full of idiots walking around with 30rd magged semi-autos. You arent allowed to use semi-auto rifles for hunting in PA and I'm fine with that. Don't take this the wrong way. There are responsible people out there that could hunt the rest of their lives with an ar and never have a problem. I'm worried about the idiots that would want to dump a clip every time they see something. I guess I dont know how to explain it very well. I've just seen some messed up stuff by so-called hunters! I'm paranoid enough already.

I can understand where you are coming from regarding idiots walking around with a semi-auto and 30 round mags. Living in Texas, I have never hunted public lands where strangers are also hunting. (I have hunted public lands in Colorado and Wyoming during archery elk season) Hunting private land, with "known" individuals, does tend to shape my views on hunting.

One of my brothers is a hunting outfitter. Over the years, I have had the pleasure of guiding hunters from all across this country. Many of those come from states with little or no private lands available for hunting. They get a new perspective.

Safety is the key to everything. I was shooting at a very early age. Firearms safety was drilled into my skull. My kids have been taught safety from an early age. My 10 year old understands how to handle a firearm as well, or better, than most adults. He hunts with a .308 in an AR platform. Now, he is still a few years from going out alone. But, he is proficient, and safe. Trigger control is not a concern. He killed a doe and a buck last season within a 15 minute time frame. Both were inside 30 yards. We were sitting on the ground in very open terrain. When he made the first shot, my son instinctively switched the safety on. Once he was repositioned for the second shot, the safety was switched off. Made the shot and safety was quickly back on.

Sorry for the long winded post.

I had a DPMS Oracle A3 that I could not get to shoot better than 2 inches at 100 with a 4-12 scope on it.
It went down the road.

Since then, in just the last few months as a matter of fact I have built 2 of them for myself.
One a 16 inch 1/7 carbine, the other has a 24 inch 1/8 Stag Varmint barrel on it.
Both shoot 77 gr SGKs really well at 100 yards on top of Benchmark.

Have a third one in the works as we speak.
It's gonna be a 16 in 1/8 lightweight as a truck gun

HTDUCK":2kxdvaw5 said:
I had a DPMS Oracle A3 that I could not get to shoot better than 2 inches at 100 with a 4-12 scope on it.
It went down the road.

Since then, in just the last few months as a matter of fact I have built 2 of them for myself.
One a 16 inch 1/7 carbine, the other has a 24 inch 1/8 Stag Varmint barrel on it.

Pics or it didn't happen!

ScreaminEagle":2p5lqdih said:
HTDUCK":2p5lqdih said:
It went down the road.

Pics or it didn't happen!

+1

Evidence, man; evidence.

Man I am excited about this thread to. A friend of mine hunts hogs with an ar and has a lot of success and terminal performance. He upgraded to a 6.8 spc he bought two barrels from bison armory and then traded me the 16" one when he didn't use it for his build.

Similar to you I wanted to build a top notch ar with all the best parts. I ended up with the following.

Barrett multi lower with Daniel defense parts kit and a geissle trigger. That trigger is expensive but rivals some of my bolt action triggers.

Vltor upper with bison arms 6.8 barrel
Daniel defense 10" lite rail free float
Pri adjustable gas block
Young manufacturing bolt carrier with Daniel defense 6.8 bolt
Vltor charging handle
Troy flip up sights hk style.
Bcm buffer tube and pistol grip
Magpul acr stock

I tried to get the best components available. It is so tight I have to hammer the pins in and out. Only problem I spent so much I have zero money for optics. I have been very happy with it gathering all the reloading components. Luckily I do most of my hunting in missouri where they allow it the only restriction is you have to use a 10 round mag.

ldg397":33qgpme0 said:
Man I am excited about this thread to. A friend of mine hunts hogs with an ar and has a lot of success and terminal performance. He upgraded to a 6.8 spc he bought two barrels from bison armory and then traded me the 16" one when he didn't use it for his build.

Similar to you I wanted to build a top notch ar with all the best parts. I ended up with the following.

Barrett multi lower with Daniel defense parts kit and a geissle trigger. That trigger is expensive but rivals some of my bolt action triggers.

Vltor upper with bison arms 6.8 barrel
Daniel defense 10" lite rail free float
Pri adjustable gas block
Young manufacturing bolt carrier with Daniel defense 6.8 bolt
Vltor charging handle
Troy flip up sights hk style.
Bcm buffer tube and pistol grip
Magpul acr stock

I tried to get the best components available. It is so tight I have to hammer the pins in and out. Only problem I spent so much I have zero money for optics. I have been very happy with it gathering all the reloading components. Luckily I do most of my hunting in missouri where they allow it the only restriction is you have to use a 10 round mag.

Sounds like a sweet build! Id like to see some pics of that.

Here are some close up pics.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 819
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 819
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 819
ScreaminEagle":1v4jxvax said:
Ok guys, some of you know that I have strong negative feelings about the m16/ar-15 platform. These negative feelings are based on my 8+ years of military service with this platform. I won't get into an argument about that right now, but lets just say I never thought I would own one personally. Well, I worked out a deal with Lee (ldg397) and I have a complete upper on the way! I'm planning on building a nice M4 starting with an 80% lower. I'm a machinist by trade, so that part is a no brainer. It will be everything that I wanted my service M4's to be. It WILL NOT rattle, clank, jam, have a crappy trigger, or anything else that I hated about my service M4's. Everything will be machined so that mating parts are a nice slip fit. I'm starting to get excited about this! Wish me luck. Feel free to post your experiences with building an AR. Good thoughts/bad thoughts. Pictures of your AR are always welcome.
Steve

Steve, I was in the Army for (3) years and carried a 1911 for most of that or an M-14 in Berlin. After three years of carrying and sleeping with my weapons in Berlin in 1962, I felt that I had no need for a M15. Of course, I got out of the Army in 1964 and the M15 had not even been issued to our Infantry Division at that time.

I have always felt like you about owning one. Mostly because of the jerks with pie plates, shooting at 25 yards that I see at our gun club. The thought of being in the woods while one of these idiots is hunting with 30 rounds in a semi-automatic is enough to freeze my blood. I realize that not all owners of M15 are that way, I guess just all of the ones at our rifle club!

Oldtrader3":xat1g58y said:
ScreaminEagle":xat1g58y said:
Ok guys, some of you know that I have strong negative feelings about the m16/ar-15 platform. These negative feelings are based on my 8+ years of military service with this platform. I won't get into an argument about that right now, but lets just say I never thought I would own one personally. Well, I worked out a deal with Lee (ldg397) and I have a complete upper on the way! I'm planning on building a nice M4 starting with an 80% lower. I'm a machinist by trade, so that part is a no brainer. It will be everything that I wanted my service M4's to be. It WILL NOT rattle, clank, jam, have a crappy trigger, or anything else that I hated about my service M4's. Everything will be machined so that mating parts are a nice slip fit. I'm starting to get excited about this! Wish me luck. Feel free to post your experiences with building an AR. Good thoughts/bad thoughts. Pictures of your AR are always welcome.
Steve

Steve, I was in the Army for (3) years and carried a 1911 for most of that or an M-14 in Berlin. After three years of carrying and sleeping with my weapons in Berlin in 1962, I felt that I had no need for a M15. Of course, I got out of the Army in 1964 and the M15 had not even been issued to our Infantry Division at that time.

I have always felt like you about owning one. Mostly because of the jerks with pie plates, shooting at 25 yards that I see at our gun club. The thought of being in the woods while one of these idiots is hunting with 30 rounds in a semi-automatic is enough to freeze my blood. I realize that not all owners of M15 are that way, I guess just all of the ones at our rifle club!

Precisely the reason why we adopted a three second rule at our club. You have to wait at least three seconds between each shot. If you want to blast the living hell outta stuff, you can do so somewhere else. People would show up and blast our target holders in half. We put up a sign, and they shot that too! A few ***holes can ruin it for everyone. Rant over

LaRue Tactical PredatAR 7.62 in the wild.
8508612524_ce5741e13a_z.jpg

Back