I know i said I would never,(PICS UP!!!)

ScreaminEagle

Handloader
Jan 20, 2011
Ok guys, some of you know that I have strong negative feelings about the m16/ar-15 platform. These negative feelings are based on my 8+ years of military service with this platform. I won't get into an argument about that right now, but lets just say I never thought I would own one personally. Well, I worked out a deal with Lee (ldg397) and I have a complete upper on the way! I'm planning on building a nice M4 starting with an 80% lower. I'm a machinist by trade, so that part is a no brainer. It will be everything that I wanted my service M4's to be. It WILL NOT rattle, clank, jam, have a crappy trigger, or anything else that I hated about my service M4's. Everything will be machined so that mating parts are a nice slip fit. I'm starting to get excited about this! Wish me luck. Feel free to post your experiences with building an AR. Good thoughts/bad thoughts. Pictures of your AR are always welcome.
Steve

I think it has the potential to be a great rifle with the care and attention you will be able to give it. I'm looking forward to what you wind up with.

DrMike":1dipj6ly said:
I think it has the potential to be a great rifle with the care and attention you will be able to give it. I'm looking forward to what you wind up with.

Thanks DrMike! Usually not a lot of AR talk on this forum so I hope we can keep this thread going.
Steve

There is not a lot of talk about the AR platform, but I do believe there are quite a few represented among those posting here. True, I don't own any, but that doesn't mean I wouldn't if I had a tad more money. :grin:

Sig 516 Gen 1, Aimpoint CompM4s, a couple of rounds of M193 ammo, a few Pmags (thats not all of them)..I also have flip up sights (Troy), but haven't gotten around to putting them on there...I have it for one reason and one reason only (defending the castle)...I rarely shoot it...but I like knowing its there if I need it.

ScreaminEagle":31ctw9x5 said:
RR, what handguards do you have on that?

They are the ones that came with it...made by Troy (IIRC) for Sig...they are not offered for sale separate from the rifle, and only fit 1st Gen Sig rifles (piston driven)...there have been a few different versions of the 516...Sig got sued over the 1st version because they copied the bolt carrier from LWRC (direct copy)....this version is pretty much identical in operation to the HK416, but doesn't use an oversize bolt carrier....this is the version in the YouTube videos from Sig, the one they tortured for the world to see that it was battle ready...and it was...Chris Kyle mentions it in his book as one of the best built AR's out there...too bad they had to change them because of the lawsuit...but I guess thats what happens when you nearly copy another design.

One of the designers of the HK416 also helped design this rifle...and it is easy to see when you compare them.

Many AR purists don't like the piston driven systems (and in many cases they are right)...but even they agree that when you get one that was designed from the ground up to be piston driven...they are solid rifles...all the parts in this one that really matter (the ones most likely to break) are completely interchangeable with any other "mil-spec" AR out there...those parts being the bolt and cam pin.

Myself...I like the piston system...there is nothing in that part of the rifle that could ever break...so replacement parts there are a non-issue.

Carefully chosen piece of hardware....should the day ever come that I need it for its intended purpose...I'm confident it will last at least as long as I do...what happens after that is somebody else's problem, lol....honestly, I hope I never need it.

I've got magpul collapsing stock, grip, and handguard on my Windham. They are quality stuff. Leupold VXR patrol 1.25x-4x is an amazing optic and hard to beat. They've held up well in my patrol unit.

Anything Magpul is about as good as it gets...the stock and grip on mine are Magpul...as they are on most AR's.

Magpul also makes some pretty good sights...metal and plastic.

Like it or not, the AR-15 has become "America's Rifle."

There are about a zillion of 'em out there. Every veteran who served in the past 40 years knows it, not the much adored (and short lived) M14.

Coyote hunters, NRA Highpower competitors, three-gun competitors, and a whole bunch of others own them.

The AR-15 can be a GREAT rifle.

Mine is nothing special. Just a good ol' Bushmaster with a low powered Leupold, but dang, it does exactly what it should...

Some excellent samples are on the market. Look at what my old friend Glen Seekins has brought forth. Look at Nosler's version. POF... Many others are really quite good. The AR-15 has come of age and has matured rather nicely.

Guy

Maybe the newer AR15/M16 are better made but the piece of junk I was issued in the early 1970's almost cost me my life more than once. I found a M14/A2 stashed in the arms room and talked the Armor into issue it to me. Never worried about it breaking down in a fire fight.

Try a quality built new one, with ammo you built or selected...

Yes, the AR-15/M-16 has changed. M-14's still have their place, but they've largely been replaced. I do find it interesting that some were brought back to life, and back on the battlefield in the last ten or twelve years...

Mostly though it's an AR-15/M-16/M4 show anymore.

Seriously, I've been using them for about 40 years and haven't had a malfunction since... I dunno, maybe sometime in the 1980's?

Regards, Guy

ScreaminEagle":pijey1oo said:
I'm thinking a Vortex Viper PST 1-4X24 would be a good match.

I had one for some time; that is a great scope. You wouldn't regret picking one up for an AR.

I have a couple of stripped lowers in my safe, waiting for me to decide what to build on them. I'll be following this thread...

I think all the clanking and rattle noises put me off more than anything. They are compact and handy rifles for room clearing and such. I just think our goverment could arm our soldiers better. The first M4 i was issued would shoot a fist sized group at 25 meters! Of course it was my fault not the weapons. Luckily i traded it in before going to iraq.

Back