I Must Be Getting Old.....

Mortis

Handloader
Aug 3, 2012
Finally got my BushMaster A4 to the range for zeroing at 100 yards......

Certainly need new shooting glasses.... and my trigger needs a bit of work.

Not real pleased, but then again, this was with open sights. My A4 has a fixed upper.

As the photo shows.... I climbed the target with adjustments.

The orange center is 2 inches diameter. Last 4 shots were hits.

Me thinks I've been using scopes too long.....

Attachments

• 181112123142-01.jpg
    181112123142-01.jpg
    11.5 KB · Views: 869
Shooting glasses? Man, I gave up on that long ago. My aged eyes won't focus when shooting over iron any more. It is glass or nothing--well, maybe braille. :mrgreen:

I bought my AR several years ago, and all I wanted was a standard M4-style carbine with the carry handle. I never intended to handload for it. I was going to just put away some FMJ ammo for it and hang on to it for eventualities.

Then one day I got the bug to put a scope on it and see what it would do. Not so hot, so I decided to try handloading some FMJ ammo and that just never panned out. Two inch groups were as good as it got. I then started thinking about replacing the upper, or maybe just the barrel. Never got past thinking about it, though.

Recently I went on a night-time hog hunt that played out a little different from the kind where you sit in a stand. I had my 6mm-284 and we found ourselves right in the middle of a herd of panicked hogs. I was out of ammo in about five seconds, while the hogs ran this way and that with my buddy hammering away at them with his AR. That got me to thinking (yeah---first remove all sharp objects from pockets, etc. etc.), there is a time and a place for firepower!

I'm not the kind who will hunt with FMJs, so I loaded up some 60-grain Partitions over some Benchmark and took it to the range. I was pleasantly surprised with decent groups at 100 yards and 200 yards, and even dead-on at both distances.

I am now scoped with a Vari-X III 2.5-8x on this rifle, it seems to be just about right for my purposes. Complete with a 250-yard capable green LED light, I think I'll be able to bust the hogs with great effectiveness!

Bottom line, I think, is that you might try some different ammo, Mortis. I did not think my AR was worthy of handloads, but when I changed from an FMJ to a Partition, I was surprised.

I'm at a loss in dealing with eyesight deterioration, though. Without a scope, I am pretty darned handicapped!

Speakin' about getting old, my wife says I'm old enough that I don't need to make excuses for anything I do !!!!!!!!!!!!!

RiverRider.....

Going back to the books.... a 2 inch group is very acceptable with open sights with FMJ.

Having said that...... At one time I could hold it better.... maybe not Sub-MOA, just better.

This is my Wife's DMPS Oracle with a Centerpoint 1 x 25 Red/Green Dot scope using the 'T' reticle. Ammo was same as the Bushmaster, which happens to be Lake City 08.

181112120904-01.jpg

You "can" see a 100 yards without glasses??? Your groups are great unless you are hunting mice. You are doing just fine with the open sights, most game will not be able to tell. Help with the trigger may reduce the size a little. Keep shooting. !

At my age, I would nbe happy to shoot two inch groups with iron sights and my glasses. I still can pretty much do that but I can not shoot a revolver like I could 20 years ago, any more. Too many meds and too many ER crashes! Oh well. I still can at leats shoot the things well enough for my needs. I will have to go with that flow!

Oh, but IF I only could shoot a two-inch group with open sights! There was a day...a long, long time ago in a galaxy far, far away...

RiverRider":2bic8070 said:
Oh, but IF I only could shoot a two-inch group with open sights! There was a day...a long, long time ago in a galaxy far, far away...

Yeah. Me too. :(
Paul B.

Kodiak":38fu68la said:
Speakin' about getting old, my wife says I'm old enough that I don't need to make excuses for anything I do !!!!!!!!!!!!!

Wow, when did that start happening? I'd like my wife to tell me that. LOL :mrgreen:

Isn't it all about lowering expectations? A carefully planned and executed program is the solution.

:twisted:

Back