I think I like Remingtons again....Range report...

Aug 2, 2005
My Dad hunted deer up here in the UP of Mich back in the 1930s,40s50s and 60s...His rifle through that era was the venerable Winchester 94 in 30.30. He shot many, many deer.

When I was old enough to buy my first deer rifle(1963)...he advised me to get a Rem Model 700 bolt in 30.06...He used one in WW II and loved it.

Well that rifle and a few after that were wonderfully accurate and dependable rifles for me...until the mid 1990s when I had 2 or 3 in a row that were FAR from acceptable...I turned to Sako and Tikka...and they were very accurate.

A few months ago I traded for a 700 CDL in 7MM 08 and it is a very nice and accurate rifle that is already shooting sub MOA with handloads (and a trigger job)

A few days ago I couldn't resist a super deal on a NIB 2005 700 Mtn Rifle in .270 Win for barely $500.

This morning LongWinters picked me up and we headed for the range. I mounted a Bushnell 4200 2.5X10 on the sleek .270.

factory Win Supreme 130gr PP+...... 0.88 MOA
factory Fed Premium 150gr SBT....... 0.92

Longs 140gr AccuBond load
58.0gr H 4841...3.330 COL .... 0.30 MOA
:twisted:

I think I like remingtons again!!! :grin:

PS...I did my own trigger job per internet instuctions... very easy!!! Got it well under 3 lbs w/o creep.

Congratulations on your new rifle. I have never know of a M700 that wouldn't shoot with the right loads. Hope you can put one of those 140 gr AB's in a big swamp buck this fall.

Regards,

JD338

Thanks JD...ME TOO!!

The CDL is driving tacks with 120gr NBTs and also 120gr TSXs... I may reconsider trying to get the 7mm08 CDL to shoot 160gr loads for Swamp deer and let that one be my Wesrtern long range Coyote/Antelope/Deer gun with its 24" bbl...Not to mention my 26" bbl Wby 30.06...

This little .270 Mtn Rifle is a SWEET carry gun!!!! :)

Have been using Remington 700's since 1974 - and a fair number have come through the gunsafe inventory over the years. Most were good shooters. One early model .30-06 being the exception - but I think it needed a new barrel. It got a new home instead...

During the past year I treated myself to a pair of brand new CDL's with the intent of hunting with them for the rest of my life. They look good, handle good, and I've found they shoot rather well too. Considering the unbedded actions, rough triggers and slim factory sporter-weight barrels, they shoot real well!

First one was a .25-06 700 CDL, 24" barrel, 4.5-14x Leupold. Shooting 100 grain Barnes TSX bullets loaded to 3340 fps, with good accuracy to 300 yards. I can live with 1.5" - 2.5" three-shot groups from a factory sporter at 300 yards! Took a decent mulie with it last fall. Haven't tried Noslers from it yet - but soon. Those Accubonds look like a great hunting bullet and of course I've had excellent results from Ballistic tip and Partition bullets over several decades of hunting and shooting.

313237.jpg

334310.jpg

The second purchase surprised me, I came across a brand new .300 RUM 700 CDL marked down to $489 and snapped it up on a whim. Topped it with a 3.5-10x Leupold. Have only shot factory loads through it so far, but I can't find anything to fault with 200 grain Nosler Partitions @ 3190 fps and generating roughly 1 MOA groups...

393814.jpg

They're not perfect, but I think these newer Remingtons, particularly the CDL with that classic styling, are really nice rifles. I only plan on a little trigger work, and hunting happily with them for many years.

Oh yeah - my son now hunts with that nice little 6mm Rem that I started with back in 1974, and it still does a fine job!

308005.jpg

Regards, Guy

Hopefully Northwoods Hunter and I will get out sometime this weekend. I have a Chrony so maybe he can get some velocities.

Long

Ohhh Guy...I had a tack driving 6MM Rem 700 BDL about that vintage that I let get away... I wasn't reloading then... I'd LOVE it back!!!! :oops:

:grin: In the photo of my youngest son, the 6mm is sitting in a synthetic "youth" stock. He's grown about 6" since then, and now the rifle is back in the original wood BDL stock.

That rifle was a gift from Dad to me. And now from me to my son. Great little varmint/deer rifle.

Regards, Guy

VERY VERY COOL! 8)

Long and I are going to tweak the COL a little longer on the .270 Mtn Rifle with the 140gr Accubonds to see if I can best the 0.30" MOA group I shot last Saturday...

I dont really know if I can shoot that well two sessions in a row!! :eek: :oops:

I took an old M-700 BDL in 7mm Remington Magnum that I bought back in 1972. for some reason It got buried in the gun box and I have not shot it in some time. Last big game I shot with it was a Kudu in Kenya back in 1974. Well It still shot pretty much were it was sighted in with the old Loads that I still had from that hunt. Its interesting that one has to live with 1.5 to 2.5 inch groups at 300 yards with an off the rack rifle. I like the lines of the CDL's Remington has had there share of problems over the years. But the still are able to make a rifle the will shoot with a minimum of fuss. I say that .25-06 of yours is a very good rifle.

Back