I think the end has come

As my father has often said, "old age beats the alternative."

I'll assume it's true. I have no experience directly with either. Yet.

With a turn in the weather coming and the single digit cold blast looking to maybe let up for a few days, my fire started burning a little hotter to go hunt deer again. Maybe. We'll see.

I really enjoyed reading original posts and the responses.
In the 2016/2017 season, a Disabled Veteran friend of mine bought his step son, Jacob, to my house and asked if I would be willing to " take Jacob huntin"? My kids are all grown up now, moved to different places etc...and in an instant, all those memories of days gone by came around again. So...I instantly said you bet I will. I gathered the young mans knowledge of safety....gun experience...etc...and to make a long story short, we both had a wonderful time during the season. He was 16 turning seventeen, and I felt seventeen again!
That year was, for me, a once in a lifetime adventure. We both harvested a buck each during early muzzle loading season on the same day.
Then, on opening day of rifle season, weather was bitter cold and rain predicted. However, I took him to his stand that I had kept "secret" from him until that morning, and just as he got into the stand it started pouring the rain. However, I told him if he could hang in there, the rain should stop in about 45 minutes and he should really be on the lookout just after the rain stops for the first 30 to 40 minutes. I went home due to my health, ( I am a Disabled Veteran myself) and sure enough, 20 minutes after the rain stopped, he called me stating he got a seven pointer! I don't know who was happier, him or me. !!!
The young man and myself developed a bonding during that time and he again came by this season, 2017/2018. We didn't do as well muzzleloading this year, but again, on opening day of Rifle season, I took him to a different spot he had never been, and sure enough, he harvested a small buck! Admittingly he did seem to become a little discouraged during the early season, but I believe he learned a good lesson. Hang in there, keep scouting, etc, and it isn't just the times you harvest a deer, but the times you spent in the woods.
I am new to this forum, hello to all, best wishes and God bless.

Congratulations on helping this young lad to get an introduction to the heritage of Americans (and Canadians). Thank you for your service. Which branch enjoyed your presence?

rugerfan":ichic75k said:
I really enjoyed reading original posts and the responses.
In the 2016/2017 season, a Disabled Veteran friend of mine bought his step son, Jacob, to my house and asked if I would be willing to " take Jacob huntin"? My kids are all grown up now, moved to different places etc...and in an instant, all those memories of days gone by came around again. So...I instantly said you bet I will. I gathered the young mans knowledge of safety....gun experience...etc...and to make a long story short, we both had a wonderful time during the season. He was 16 turning seventeen, and I felt seventeen again!
That year was, for me, a once in a lifetime adventure. We both harvested a buck each during early muzzle loading season on the same day.
Then, on opening day of rifle season, weather was bitter cold and rain predicted. However, I took him to his stand that I had kept "secret" from him until that morning, and just as he got into the stand it started pouring the rain. However, I told him if he could hang in there, the rain should stop in about 45 minutes and he should really be on the lookout just after the rain stops for the first 30 to 40 minutes. I went home due to my health, ( I am a Disabled Veteran myself) and sure enough, 20 minutes after the rain stopped, he called me stating he got a seven pointer! I don't know who was happier, him or me. !!!
The young man and myself developed a bonding during that time and he again came by this season, 2017/2018. We didn't do as well muzzleloading this year, but again, on opening day of Rifle season, I took him to a different spot he had never been, and sure enough, he harvested a small buck! Admittingly he did seem to become a little discouraged during the early season, but I believe he learned a good lesson. Hang in there, keep scouting, etc, and it isn't just the times you harvest a deer, but the times you spent in the woods.
I am new to this forum, hello to all, best wishes and God bless.
Welcome to the Forum! There are many knowledgeable and good people posting here. What a wonderful act of kindness you have done for that young man, he will remember it for the rest of his life.
Thank you for your service.

Honestly, there are no thanks needed for my military service, but I thank you anyway; and a warm welcome right back!
Matter of fact, the "young lad" has been invited down for supper today. We are slow cooking some beans with a little ham in them over the wood stove now. He has never experienced this way of cooking....

Hello and Thanks SJB358.
Should be ready in about an hour! Bad thing is, I am ready now...got the house smelling of good ole time cooking!!
Trying to study up on the "ladder test". This is new to me...only been reloading a few years now. Trying to follow some posts on here about how to interpret the readings.

Thanks SJB....I am gonna study a bit more....try to get a little more understanding and do a little shooting thru the chrono....so as to allow myself a little experience of seeing what numbers/data I get....then... get back on here for some words of wisdom from you guys/gals.

Tom,
Congrats on a really good hunting season. Time to give those red squirrels some attention. I always enjoyed taking the off season blues out on Crows!! :mrgreen:

Don

Rugerfan- Well done with the young man! More fun to see some one do well.... Keep hanging around here. Wealth of reloading knowledge and experience, as long as you don't listen to me :) . Welcome to the circus...CL

Great post :wink:.
Last year was a year I will never forget as we were successful with Antelope, Mule, Elk & Moose (y).
This year I did not get a shot during Elk or Moose and did not harvest either species. During Whitetail season I had numerous opportunities but decided unless it was a buck of a lifetime I wasn’t going pull the trigger :shock: and I didn’t (y).
We had 2 real mature bucks which made lots of sausage we also got some great chops & a few steaks which is all we really need (y).
I consider this season as successful as last, I have come to the point in my hunting life that just being out is what it is all about :mrgreen:.

Blessings,
Dan

CL...I will be around....good Lord willing...probably more so in the wintertime....for I dislike being inside so much. I really try to get outside as much as possible. Starting to work on a load now for a rifle my wife gave me for Christmas. We have had some very low temps here in Virginia,,,,and I haven't been able to test some loads. Thanks for the welcome!
Pulled some trail cams yesterday and noticed some very nice deer that made it thru the hunting season. Hopefully they will be here again next season. Looks like one has shed already?? So, I hope to go out and take a walkabout in a couple weeks and see if I can locate any sheds. Take care now! Thanks again for the welcome!

Back