Ideas for new chuck gun

A .25-06 with a good barrel woud do the trick. There are plenty of bullet choices in .257, and the cases are fairly common.

I have the 243 AI for a long range, low recoiling rifle. It shoots Amaxs over 3100 FPS and 70gr BTs to almost 3700 FPS. I'm very interested in a 243 WSSM since it can hang with AI.

ScreaminEagle":1fvrqi3f said:
Post up pics of your long range varmint rigs

M700 VLS 22-250
JDCoyote012008.jpg

JD338

I think i may have fallen for the 6.5-284. It just looks like it would fill all my needs for a long range chuck killer. The only downfall that I can find is barrel life. I thought that Desertfox had a 6.5-284, but i can't find the thread or pics. Anyone have them? Where you at DF?

ScreaminEagle":3jyc1emb said:
Man, you guys have come up with some great ideas! I have been looking hard at the 25-06. My grandad had a rem varmint in 25-06, identical to Fotis's 6mm. I would have loved to have gotten that rifle. I really like the idea of a 6.5x284 or maybe 6.5x47. The BR's also intrigue me for some reason. I won't be starting the build anytime soon, but It's great to brainstorm when you're bored.

Post up pics of your long range varmint rigs

Here is mine - 6-284 with a 1 in 9 26" PacNor. Its built on a Weatherby Vanguard.

044.jpg

Scott

I don't think anyone is ever disappointed with a 6.5. They are pretty sweet across the board.

you won't be disappointed with a 6.5. Totally fell in love with my Creedmoor.
I can see why most people like the 6.5s so much.

velvetant":gpdifnpy said:
you won't be disappointed with a 6.5. Totally fell in love with my Creedmoor.
I can see why most people like the 6.5s so much.

They certainly are great rounds high b.c. bullets combined with high sectional density they fly flatter than expected and penetrate deep into animals. I really like my 260 and 264 WM.

The 6.5-284 would be a great choice other good options would be a 6.5-06 standard or Ackley Improved or even a 6.5-280 AI if you really want to be different.

A relatively inexpensive new Chuck gun would be for me a new Weatherby Vanguard 11 in 240 Bee! Install a Vortex Viper 4-12 x 42 scope on it with a bdc system and you would be away !
Very impressive ballistics and very mild recoil - also good yote -wolf-pronghorn-deer rifle also !
JMHO RJ :)

ScreaminEagle":xrn271lz said:
I think i may have fallen for the 6.5-284. It just looks like it would fill all my needs for a long range chuck killer. The only downfall that I can find is barrel life. I thought that Desertfox had a 6.5-284, but i can't find the thread or pics. Anyone have them? Where you at DF?

So what? They make new barrels ever day! And Savages are pretty easy to put a new tube on.

Very true Bk. I do not own a savage, but it appears that you do not need a smith to change your barrel. Just a headspace gage.

BK":2ht92ad3 said:
ScreaminEagle":2ht92ad3 said:

So what? They make new barrels ever day! And Savages are pretty easy to put a new tube on.

How many barrels have ever really seen shot out? I kinda look at it as a personal goal I have not yet attained! Thing how good of a shooter you would be with a few burned out barrels under your belt...

Plus, sometimes you don't need to replace, just cut a few threads and set it back some...

SJB358":2jzliaru said:
BK":2jzliaru said:
ScreaminEagle":2jzliaru said:

How many barrels have ever really seen shot out? I kinda look at it as a personal goal I have not yet attained! Thing how good of a shooter you would be with a few burned out barrels under your belt...

Plus, sometimes you don't need to replace, just cut a few threads and set it back some...

You know, I looked up the definition of enabler today. It just says Scotty!

Plus, sometimes you don't need to replace, just cut a few threads and set it back some...[/quote]

You know, I looked up the definition of enabler today. It just says Scotty![/quote]

They're on to you now Scotty! :grin:

SJB358":3vl6i6u2 said:
BK":3vl6i6u2 said:
ScreaminEagle":3vl6i6u2 said:

How many barrels have ever really seen shot out?

Just wait until we get you started in a good p-dog patch...it won't take you long to go through a barrel 8) :grin: .

You know I've stayed out of this fray, but hey guys what about a 6mm Remington? :mrgreen: Fast, flat shooting, easy to load for, accurate, and the list just goes on and on!

Maybe a 6mm-06! Still think the old 25-06 has some serious potential too.

I agree with you guys completely on one thing is that Scotty is the biggest enabler I believe I have ever met! Scotty could completely convince the swamp selling real estate guy that he needs to purchase 200 more acres of prime mosquito infested muck! :mrgreen: :p :p :p

Back