If I Could Add One Rifle to My Safe...

DrMike

Ballistician
Nov 8, 2006
it would be a .280 Ross. I'm intrigued by the cartridge, but even more interested in the rifle.

Any rifles that capture your fancy that you have yet to acquire?

Never even heard of the 280 Ross?? What is it??

Tough question, I'd have to think a little more about that one before I gave an answer. Chances are pretty good however, that I'd change my mind the next day, lol.

I"d like a really fast 25, like a 25-300 win mag built on a 700 action w/28" bbl and a muzzle brake. Set it in a Mc Millan A-4 stock. Put a Leupold mk4 6.5-20x50 w/TMR reticle.

Then again, I want my own 338 EDGE set up pretty much the same way, but might go with a 30" bbl this time around.

The 280 Ross was adopted by the Canadian Forces as their battle rifle during the First World War. It shot a 146 grain .289 bullet at a velocity claimed to be 3100 fps. The ballistics were similar to the 7mm RM. The Ross rifle in .280 won the Bisley matches in 1908, 1912 and 1913. The 280 Halger, introduced in Germany, is based on the 280 Ross case, except it uses a .284 bullet.

The rifle has a straight pull bolt. Unfortunately, it had a habit of coming apart under battle conditions if the bolt was reassembled wrong, which was fairly easy to do, especially under conditions of combat. Canadian troops threw away their rifles in combat and seized the Lee Enfields of dead British soldiers as they were more reliable under the conditions of trench warfare. Consequently, the Canadian army abandoned the Ross in 1915.

Another problem in an earlier era was that the rifle drove bullets at such a high velocity that they fragmented on game. With the advent of modern bullets, that would not be a problem today.

I have a 303 Ross which I shoot very well, even with my aging eyes. Since the cartridge is not often seen today, I would enjoy working with it.

Consequently, another rifle that I would enjoy having is a .356 in the Marlin 336ER. I've had three Model 94s chambered in this calibre, and they are just plain fun to shoot and they work wonderfully on game. I don't expect the Marlin to shoot any better than the Winchesters, but it was a rarer rifle, and that makes it interesting.

Well I am going to say off the top of my head a 257 wby ultra light weight always been one of my dream rifles

Or maybe a 25.06 set up for 75-85 gr bullets on a 700 action set in a axiom stock for songdogs

or maybe a 6.5stw

hell I dont know I change my mind everyday

DrMike

Tough topic title, kind of like my wife saying if she could only add one more pair of shoes to her closet. :lol:

Upcoming shoe, I mean rifle additions are

M700 LSS 257 Wby
M700 LSS 375 RUM

and a few more that will interest me at a later date..... :grin:

JD338

I am not necessarily creative in my rifle selections. I think it would be custom in either 308 or 7m08. Problem is which custom.....

Long

M700 LSS 257 Wby

that is one that catches my eye also since I have a matching 270 wsm

what about a christensen arms in just about anything

My NCR 280Ai will never leave my gun room.
Good all around North Amerivan game cartridge.

For some reason I am hung up on the 338-06, so I guess my answer would be a Rem 700 action all nice and trued up, a good synthetic stock and a good matte stainless barrel in 338-06.

A savage 14 classic in 250-3000 Savage. Although I really miss shooting the 22 mag I sold. Call me crazy....CL

Interesting that I see a fair number of shooters that look for Remington actions, and the LSS in various cartridges pops up fairly often. Calibre wise, I see several people wanting Weatherby cartridges. There are certainly some interesting cartridges named, and some fascinating rifles. I must say that I enjoy shooting, so there are no cartridges that are uninteresting, and very few rifles that wouldn't be welcomed in my safe. However, there are some that I would take in a heartbeat, except for money considerations. I have seen a few 280 Ross rifles offered on Gun Broker, but I could justify the expenditure. Ditto for Marlin 336ERs. The lack of resources doesn't keep me from wanting, however.

DrMike
There has always been a dream in the back of my mind to own a signature caliber rifle. It would be 35 caliber based on the either the RUM or 378 case with a light 26" fluted stainless barrel with a (you guessed it) LSS type stock and a muzzle brake. On a Savage or Remington action. It would put a 250 gr. AccuBond out at about 3250 fps. with about 5500 FPE. :shock:
The 350 Decimator :shock: What do you think?
Good Hunting
Greg :grin:

Greg Nolan":3574gmht said:
DrMike
There has always been a dream in the back of my mind to own a signature caliber rifle. It would be 35 caliber based on the either the RUM or 378 case with a light 26" fluted stainless barrel with a (you guessed it) LSS type stock and a muzzle brake. On a Savage or Remington action. It would put a 250 gr. AccuBond out at about 3250 fps. with about 5500 FPE. :shock:
The 350 Decimator :shock: What do you think?
Good Hunting
Greg :grin:

How about the 350 Nolan Magnum. :idea:

JD338

Sako 75 SS/Syn. 7mm RUM topped with a 2.5-10X40 Elite 4200 or a Leupold VX III 3.5-10X40.

This would replace the 75 in 7mm rem that I sold to pay for a honeymoon in 06. That was topped with the Elite 4200.

A Sako AV with a nice wood stock would work too, even if it was just chambered in 7mm Rem. The only problem with a 7mm rem mag is there isn't enough recoil to keep my wife from liking it :grin:

JT.

There are many I would like of course, but I really NEED to have at least one Sako.

JT.

For personal (ie not work related) use I already have it, but not sure which...

A year ago I would have said 308Win, but now I am not so sure. It'd be either 308Win or 260Rem Sako Stainless Varminter probably with a 20" barrel. I already have the 308 in 20" & 24" and the 20" tips the scales a little for its easy handling while giving little away in terms of performance to its longer sibling.
Top it with a 10x40 metric mildot scope and three to five mags colour keyed to the loads that I am using.

Cheers

Back