I'm paranoid I know it....or maybe not....My Leupy's busted?

cloverleaf

Handloader
Sep 10, 2006
Aw here I go whinnin' again. Couple weeks ago I took my 250 savage out for a little coyote action. Long story short my very heavy rifle landed on the scope when it flew off the back seat during an emergency stop. It was in the case (soft) and landed pretty hard. When I pulled it out of the case and looked through the scope the first thing I noticed was having to move my head around (side to side) to get the full view in the scope (no black ring). That seemed unusual (terrifying is the right word) as that is what sold me on a Luey, full field of view instantly, every time. I attributed it to the fact that i was hunting in the dark (full moom) Man i like that scope!! But it has been hard to ge that full field of view. Today I got out to the range and realize I forgot my targets :x ! all I could find were some unbroken clay pigeons. At 90 yards, 3 shots three broken birds. It cant be too far off. especially as it was less than 10 degrees outside.
So is it possible that the mounts got shifted or somthing and this would account for the field of view being so picky. A buddy looked at it and said, "aw, that scope is crooked". That/s possible, but if so, its possible that its been that way a long time. I cant see it.
Also, how can A guy make sure that a scope is mounted exactly parallel with the bore. This is an FN Mauser action, Leupy 2 pc bases windage adjustable ring/base in the rear.
Maybe the eye piece is "out of adjustment"? Ive messed with that but it dose not seem to help. Again, I would not want to adjust the POI. Shes dead on 1.5 high give or take an inch or so, clay pigeons looked to be hit dead center.
Thoughts appreciated. Thanks CL

CL,

First thing I'd say to look at is make sure the rear ring didn't come out of the base where the two windage screws hold it in position.
With that said, it would be difficult for the POI to be the same if too much was out of kelter......?
Wheeler makes an awesome scope mounting tool to ensure both rings are in sync with each other. Basically two one inch steel dowl rods ground to a point on one end. If both tips are touching each other, your good to go ( generally only happens in that figmented world - I have yet to have one hit "perfect" )

Second option is obviously ship it off to Leupy for a professional inspection.

Let us know what you find.

CL,

Send it back to Leupold so they can check it out. Take advantage of the life time warranty. You will have it back in 2 weeks.

JD338

Powerstroke- I know exactly what you are talking about. That would get my rings parrelell with each other but not necessarily do any good if the base mount holes are not square on the reciever and also parralel with the bore. course my thinkin could be off as far as the scope. Or maybe the scope aint off at all. POA is still close enough for a coyote. Tearin' it apart my wait 'til spring. CL

Send it back to Leupold so they can check it out.

My 378 Bee had destroyed 2 of them. Both got fixed by Leupy! no charge!

When you mount a scope with two piece bases (rear windage adjustable) you shoul center your windage adjustment on the scope first. Use a bore sight and adjust the windage on the base. This will allow maximum windage adjustment on your scope and also allign it with the bore.
Don't use your scope to adjust the rings. Use an alignment tool to adjust the rings.

Well, I put my VX-II in the mail today. Hope they can find somthing wrong as I miss the way it was. I did note that there were no marks on the scope at all when I took it out of the rings. I would say they were pretty much paralell. Whether the center of the optic was parralel with the bore is another question. If Leupold gives it a clean billl of health I will have to figure out a way to meaure that "paralellness". The waiting....CL

There is a vertical retical instrument made by EXD engineering that works well. I prefer it to the Wheeler because we know in the real world there are times things are not milled and ground as they should be. I will add that this will get you real close, however the only way I know too align the retical perfectly involves shooting, the adjust elevation significantly then shooting to see if impact is vertical, if not then make a rotation of the scope.

CL,

You should have the scope back in 2 weeks, Leupold is excellent about this.
Let us know the outcome.

JD338

My buddy dropped his rifle out of his ladder stand. The first thing that impacted was the Leupold scope which slammed, ocular lens first, against a steel rung. You can imagine what this scope looked like.

My friend asked me if I would return it for him. I shipped it back with a letter stating exactly how the scope got in the (smashed) condition it was in and told my friend to expect to pay for the repairs. After all, this was the worst case of abuse that I've ever seen.

The scope was returned "like new" with an invoice that said "No Charge". No one has a better service policy that Leupold!

Well I got a letter form Leupold yesterday stating that they had recieved my scope and that service would require fifteen working days, which puts it out to the 12th. I suspect that it will be shippped by then. Not quite the 2 weeks JD was talking about but at least they are workin' on it. Sent my rifle to the smithy while the scope is away to get the wing safety moved to thge right side and have him see if he can tell if my rings are parrelel to the bore. He said he would take a look at the mounts but that I had done the right thing sending the scope off to Luey. CL

CL,

Not 2 weeks but still pretty good turn around time.

JD338

Well, I got my scope back yesterday. Paperwork is kind of confusing (it dont tell me much) but mayb thats cause there wasnt much wrong...? When I get a pic of it I will post. It says they reworked the power change ring, checked for function internally and visually inspected. Those areas were deemed "100%" so I 'spose that means they were OK. The other thing thats on the work order is a set of circles w/ cross hairs that gives numbers at the four points of the circle. One is as recieved and the other is "after work" or somthing like that. I assume that just means the recentered the cross-hairs. Anybody have any experience with these and can interpret whatI'm lookin' at?

Otherwise, seems like the full site picture is back, and it is very clear again.
Too bad it will be another month before I can get to the range to sight her back in. Gotta wait 'til its warm enough, dont want to rush it.

Will see what the smithy says about the bases when I get the rifle back. Hopefully Friday. CL

Back