Impressed by this coyote round!

coyotetrapper

Beginner
Feb 9, 2007
I have been shooting my new .243 rem sps Varmint rifle and the load I worked up for accuracy is also very fur friendly on coyotes. I have shot them at multiple ranges and angles and get little fur damage even summer coated coyotes which I take out for my job!

The load is 37.5 gr varget, WLR primer, Nolser brass and 80 grain nosler bal tip. It just drops them stone dead and even at 100 yards small enternace in the rib cage and small exit. This round has been a joy to shoot and I find it to be better than my 22-250 as far as stopping power and damage. I will say damage means little to me in my line of work but I thought those that fur hunt coyotes or not would like to know the outstanding results I have been getting with this load.

I will second. I settled on 38.0 grains with the same bullet, primers and Remington brass (when it wears out I will graduate to something better). Never chrono'd but seems flat enough, and in a word, tackdriver.

I always used H414 and 55 bt's in the 243.

1/2 MOA and 4100 fps in a 22" barrel Savage sporter.

oh yeah..... just like a disease................. 8) :oops: 8) 8) 8) 8) 8)

I have cronographed this load and it is 3090 FPS with a 26" barrel. It will shoot less than 1" groups at 200 yrds. I like the extra bullet weight for wind deflection and the pure stopping force on coyotes. I don't like runners when working livestock depredation.

That rem 700 sps is one nice gun for the price and that x mark trigger I like it. I also like the fact with the varget I get less SD and I have cronographed at a 25 degree temp differance and the speed is darn close to the same less than 5 FPS differance, that extreme powder thing must have some truth. The real test will be when it cools way down and I will run it again. The problem with my 22-250 is from low to high temps and I use it at all temps the differance can be 2" at 100 yards with ball powders. I wanted a powder that didn't have such an extreme spread on FPS in different temp ranges.

Good deal on the 243 Win coyote load. Sounds like you have everything you need to get er done.

In your 22-250, take a look at Varget and RL15.

JD338

JD thanks for the insight I may just have to start loading for the 22-250 right now my agency buys our loads for us they are made at Hunting Shack in MT, very accurate except for the spread due to temps. We use a 52 grain A max bullet,PMC brass at 3,700 FPS is a darn good shooting load for sure, highly accurate!

It must be horrible to have to hunt coyotes at work, would just about be the death of me if I had to do that :wink: Yeah right, would be putting in alot of OT if I did that. The 55 NBT's are deadly with IMR 4064, up to 1 grain below max showed no pressure signs, didn't go higher. Tried IMR 3031 which did show pressure at around 1-1.5 grain below max. The 55 grain NBT's are no at all fur friendly, kinda devastating.

CC

Back