IMR 4166,4451 & 7977

Osprey78":1l9q01m0 said:
Nosler06 has a tonne of XBR7828 and seems pretty happy with it. He hasn't had it long enough to do any temp difference tests, but it works for him.

XBR7828? Now I'm confused.

Me too...and I wrote it... LOL.

I meant IMR 8208XBR, another powder not affected by temperature.

Sorry.

I can believe that. Hey, we had quite a few of the Viet Nam era draft dodgers in the Valemount area; much like the Kootenays. :grin:

I'm really looking forward to trying all of these powders and may switch over to some of them since they are made here in Canada and I would like to support products made here. All three of those are very useful burn rates, IMR 4166 would be great in the 35 Whelen for mid weight and heavier bullets, light bullets in the 260 and 6.5x55 and all 303 British loads. IMR 4451 should shine in the 260 and 6.5x55 and light bullets in the 270 Win, and IMR 7977 looks excellent with heavy bullets in the 270 Win and should be perfect in the 264 Win Mag. So they should cover everything we have in this house along with IMR 8208 of course.

Gerry,

I have samples of all three. I intend to begin some initial studies this coming week. I'll be posting whatever I learn as soon as I am able to do so.

I'll be picking up some 4451 tomorrow.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

DrMike":1ejxmvix said:
Gerry,

I have samples of all three. I intend to begin some initial studies this coming week. I'll be posting whatever I learn as soon as I am able to do so.

Good that you have been able to get some, look forward to your results.

Very excited to see how you do with them Mike. Gerry does make a great case for 8208, 4166, 4451 and 7977 being a couple of powders to cover just about everything.

Hopefully we'll get a break in temperatures in the next week or so. I'm limping around again as I hurt my knees yesterday. Against all medical advice, and my own knowledge, I toted in several boxes of beef to the freezer. I'm paying today. That will help give me time to sit at the bench to get the loading finished, though.

DrMike":kvmiaohc said:
Hopefully we'll get a break in temperatures in the next week or so. I'm limping around again as I hurt my knees yesterday. Against all medical advice, and my own knowledge, I toted in several boxes of beef to the freezer. I'm paying today. That will help give me time to sit at the bench to get the loading finished, though.
Take care of your knees sir.
They are the only original ones you're going to get. Original is more valuable than reproduction. :)

Vince

Vince":24t3hvhf said:
DrMike":24t3hvhf said:
Take care of your knees sir.
They are the only original ones you're going to get. Original is more valuable than reproduction. :)

Vince

Roger than, Vince. (y)

87d92f4003797ea4d8a4829a736fda7a.jpg

Thanks Scott.
It's a wee bit more costly than 4350 but if it's temp stable it's worth it.

I have tried all three. I didn't appreciate revolutionary improvements over other available powders. I did look briefly at temp stability with 4451 and 7977. 0.5ish fps per degree change isn't bad. Powders burn HOT, not the best for range work in the summer time. May help with copper fouling, but carbons up more than any other powder I have used.

4166 is similar to Varget. 4451 is very close to the 4350s. 7977 is closer to 7828 than Retumbo.

"It's specific to the West Kootenays. It's a hippy blend. :lol:"

I saw a couple of older fit ladies near Mt Gimli (a steep rocky hike in) wearing Birkinstocks, just out for the day. Kootenay style.

Back