Lab Radar

DrMike

Ballistician
Nov 8, 2006
Well, I finally got the opportunity to work with the Lab Radar yesterday. I believe this is going to work very well. There were a few glitches. The first time I tried the unit, I couldn't get it to work at all. I was home, after repacking the unit and setting up the Beta Shooting Chrony (complaining bitterly the entire time). Of course, I had set up the unit with the radar facing me. :oops: I did learn that it won't work very well at all with the Doppler radar is not pointed in the direction of travel for the projectile. :lol:

I approached the test yesterday full of confidence and an air of bravado that was a sure indication that I was headed for another classic fail. :shock: I set up the unit, carefully ensuring that all the parameters were put in. I set up the first rifle (a 350 Remington Magnum), pulled the trigger with genuine anticipation and eagerly looked at the blank screen. This did necessitate going through the setup a second time, reentering all the parameters, readying myself at the bench and again pulling the trigger, only to note that the screen was unchanged. I am persistent, if nothing else. After six attempts, I decided that I might wish to phone the manufacturer in Wichita, KS.

Now, understand that the range is down in a valley and cell reception is non-existent! I didn't want to pack up all my gear, climb into my truck, drive up out of the valley just to make a call--what to do! Well, no one else was on any of the ranges, so I climbed one of the berms (very icy, I might note, involving multiple slips and slides while eliciting numerous groans and questions concerning my sanity (unvoiced, but thought, nevertheless)), lifted my phone to gaze longingly at the face and noted that I had a bar! Hallelujah! Dial and wonder or wonders, I managed to make a connection.

When I finally got through to Richard, I explained my situation and he helpfully asked, "Is the united turned on?" "Oh, yes," I replied. "Good, is the orange face turned toward the target?' Indignantly, I replied, "Of course. I know how to aim this unit!" Richard was very helpful. "Fine. Now, look at the unit and see what you have set the sensitivity to." "Uh, Richard, I'm a few hundred yards from the unit, and I don't think my knees will take another climb down and then back up. Furthermore, we will cease communicating should I leave this high perch." Richard was also considerate of an older gentleman who probably shouldn't have been allowed out of the house, much less using a unit such as the LabRadar. We talked through all the settings, he making a couple of recommendations and encouraging me not to give up. I don't think the sniveling was all that off-putting to Richard. I'm certain he'll accept my phone call again should such be necessary.

What I learned through this phone call were a few of the nuances that ensure that unit works well. First off, it does have to be rather close to the muzzle. For most of my work, the unit was between six and twelve inches from the muzzle. The sensitivity must be adjusted for the conditions. However, once this is done, the unit worked to perfection.

You can gain an idea of the setup from the following pictures.

The Oehler 35 and the Beta Chronys are going to see a whole lot less use in the future and the LabRadar is likely to see a lot of use. The data generated gives velocities from the muzzle and generates Kinetic Energy of the bullet (remembering to punch in bullet weight, etc. each time) and BC. Not bad.

The glitches are that the microphone will pick up shots from other range participants, trying to find the projectile and generating false data for you. The fix is to adjust the sensitivity to exclude such extraneous shots. Muzzle brakes play havoc with the unit, but it had no difficulty with any of the rifles I was using (358 Norma Magnum, 350 Remington Magnum, 8X68S, 280 Remington and 243 Winchester). Muzzle blast, however, will create false readings I was informed. The shooter does need to remember to set a new series as new loads are introduced. However, it is easy to clean up the data. Moreover, the unit connects to your computer to download the data generated to your personal files. I may start taking my laptop with me just to save the data in the future. It is an energy hog. It requires six AA batteries, and they can be drained very quickly. I purchased a power pack, however. I plug that into the unit, and there was sufficient power to run the unit all day and the pack was recharged in less than thirty minutes. This is a great unit that can only advance the cause of gun cranks everywhere.

Mike as per usual that is quite the informative write up with a good dose of this is what really happened humor. Keeping an eye on this post for continued info.

Great report for an old doddering duffer with flailing knees. [emoji3]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

G'Day Fella's,

Thank you for the insight into this new chrono device!
It sound like it's just the Ducks Guts!!!

Regards
Homer

I'm sorry I didn't have this twenty years ago! It is the best I've ever used. The printed instructions are somewhat sparse, but the company is very good about answering questions posed to them. The unit is somewhat pricey, but I believe it to be worth owning.

In all seriousness good sir I would likely have one myself if they hadn't taken so long to bring the product to market.

I got a MagnetoSpeed instead, and while I don't regret it, there are some features to the Lab Radar that definitely appeal to me.

Vince

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rodger,

The 250 RM has a six inch barrel. :shock: The 350 RM has a twenty-two inch barrel. (y)

Vince,

I had forgotten that I preordered when one morning my VISA showed that I was billed for a LabRadar! Fortunately, I hadn't spent my mad money on another unit I was considering, so I accepted it. I really don't regret the unit. It works better than I could have expected. Candidly, I think I'm in for a rather extended love affair with the unit.

todbartell":gg48n5cz said:
I've been using one for about a year now. Fantastic piece of equipment

Mr Bartell makes an appearance, welcome back :) Reports are good so far with the only problem being getting readings on 17 and 20 cal bullets, have you done any work with the small bores?

Hey Mike that's a cool unit.
Doesn't the muzzle blast trigger it
and have you had the chance to test
velocities as the bullet goes downrange.
I read somewhere there were settings to record speeds as it
travels down. Very Nice indeed.

I'll be doing more work with it over the coming days.

DrMike, I will be ordering one soon so please keep your phone near you :mrgreen:.
I have one heck of alot of work to do in the next 2 to 3 months. :wink:
Thank you for the report it looks like it is going to be a keeper (y).

Blessings,
Dan

Yeah, Dan, don't think I'll divest myself of this anytime soon.

That's a fancy rig for sure!!!
Mines a bit different! Lol
This is my Lab --- I hope his Radar is working ... ImageUploadedByTapatalk1460006353.553124.jpg

Back