Ruger Super Blackhawk Bisley Hunter...

Guy Miner

Master Loader
Apr 6, 2006
Well.... I didn't seek it out, but have been looking for one off and on for years. Would have been fine with several different big bore cartridges, but the 44 mag is a very practical choice. Ammo and components are readily available. This one was at Tyler's in Texas, from the Bob Baer collection. He passed a couple of years ago and was a noted revolver-smith. I would have enjoyed having a cuppa coffee and a conversation with the man. It seems that he worked a little of his magic on this one. It arrived at my FFL dealer, and has to stay there for a while by state law, but it came out of the safe for a few cell-phone photos today:

Bob is the fellow in black on the left. If you follow handgunning at all, you'll know several of the others in the photo:

7.5" barrel, all set up for a scope. I'm exploring scope options now. Will be loading up a mess of 240 and 300 grain 44 mag ammo for it. Hoping for some handgun hunting opportunities over the next few years! :)

Regards, Guy

Nice looking revolver Guy.
Take a look at the Leupold FX 4.

JD338
That's a rifle scope JD. Leupold quit making their pistol scopes unfortunately. :( The rifle scope won't have the appropriate eye relief.

Sadly, I think the only 4x they offer is built for rimfire rifles now. Sign of the times i suppose.

Guy

Guy I might have one of the Leupold pistol scopes. We are still poking around Arizona probably start home Monday, so a week from now I can look in " THEBOX". Great acquisition, well done.

You are correct on the FX series, my bad.
I have a fixed 4x handgun scope on my S&W 629 Classic. It's a great scope. Too bad it's no longer available.

JD338

That's a rifle scope JD. Leupold quit making their pistol scopes unfortunately. :( The rifle scope won't have the appropriate eye relief.

Sadly, I think the only 4x they offer is built for rimfire rifles now. Sign of the times i suppose.

Guy
Take a look at the Burris Line Guy. I have a Burris variable on my single shot 30.06 handgun and it has held up very well.

Are you wanting a scope, reflex sight, or something like a Ultra Dot Gen 2.
I tend to prefer the LER pistol scopes or the Ultra Dot Gen 2 myself

Are you wanting a scope, reflex sight, or something like a Ultra Dot Gen 2.
I tend to prefer the LER pistol scopes or the Ultra Dot Gen 2 myself
Not 100% sure Ernie. This neanderthal has used red dots only a couple of times on pistols, and I've never used a pistol scope. I'm thinking deer, bear, maybe elk, at less than 150 yards, hopefully less than 100 yards.

Guy

Not 100% sure Ernie. This neanderthal has used red dots only a couple of times on pistols, and I've never used a pistol scope. I'm thinking deer, bear, maybe elk, at less than 150 yards, hopefully less than 100 yards.

Guy
Sounds like the ultra dot would be the way to go for you.

That is such a pretty revolver. Can't argue with the caliber, either for an all-around, do basically everything revolver.
I like the photo, too. Lot of talent gathered there.

What a cool hand gun. Opens up some interesting thoughts about a wide variety of hunting. If you were in MN you could use that to hunt in the "slugs only" areas for deer. Any special or unique options for hand gunners where you are? Not that you need them per se, any tag with a hand gun has to make it unique and require "better" hunting skills. CL

Nice snag. I have a few .44 mags, two Ruger Super BHs on an old model and the other a new model, both 7.5". I have another that has the standard Blackhawk grip style (like Colt SAA) with 4 5/8" brrel, a 7.5" Bisley and a 5.5" Bisley om .45 Colt with 5.5" barrel. I boght that one because of an article by Ross Seyfried on what he called the poor man's Linebaugh or something similar. I run 250 gr. cast bullets using Linebaugh's loads and it does get my attention. They do rap the knuckles.
On a 4X Leupy, I have one mounted on a T/C Contender in 30-30 Win. Nice little scope.
Paul B.

Guy, we‘re back in Oregon. I took a look in “The Box” I no longer have the pistol scope. No Idea how long ago it snuck off or why. Catherine is convinced my diminished faculties is quite humorous.

Back